News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Quote from: SnoPro440 on May 04, 2015, 12:13:50 PM
Looks outstanding.  I wasn't sure how well you'd top the silver 68 but I think you have accomplished that.  :cheers:

The silver charger was my 1st Mopar and it was a fun car to build, but the black charger I'm shooting for a better diving car.
Thank You!
Pat

Quote from: WHITE AND RED 69 on May 04, 2015, 03:19:59 PM
Nice!  :drool5:  Are the insides of the fenders and floors going to be painted or undercoated?

I need to get me one of those mini floor lifts! Must make working on the car a lot better than jack stands.  :lol:

The wheel wells will get undercoated and the rest of the bottom will black like the top but the clear will be a special graffiti proof clear to help keep the bottom clean.
Thanks
Pat

keepat

Even with all my calculations, double checking with the different venders, and other threads with similar suspensions it was a relief seeing the front wheel on the car with great clearance and no rubbing issues with in the fender.

Thanks
Pat

RIDELIKEHELL

Looking good Pat  :2thumbs: This is going to be a wild one! Love following this thread and your work...

Marc
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

keepat

Quote from: RIDELIKEHELL on May 05, 2015, 05:47:50 AM
Looking good Pat  :2thumbs: This is going to be a wild one! Love following this thread and your work...

Marc

Thank You Marc!
Pat

MxRacer855

keepat

I mocked up the steering U-joints and cut the shaft to fit, nice hardware supplied by RMS!
Thanks
Pat

MxRacer855

Looks great Pat!
I'll be at this stage next week.
I didn't modify my stock steering column or shaft at all.
By the looks of it, you didn't either?

Jeff

MxRacer855

Looks great Pat!

Jeff

keepat

Quote from: MxRacer855 on May 08, 2015, 09:51:27 PM
Looks great Pat!

Jeff

I have yet to rebuild my column and yes I did not modify the column to fit.
For the mock up I use a roll-pin to hold the U joint to the shaft. When it goes in for good I will press in the solid pin.
Thanks
Pat     

MxRacer855

Thanks Pat!

I know Bill has mentioned cutting down the actual housing for header clearance, but I really didn't want to alter it like that.

Jeff

keepat

Quote from: MxRacer855 on May 09, 2015, 08:51:16 AM
Thanks Pat!

I know Bill has mentioned cutting down the actual housing for header clearance, but I really didn't want to alter it like that.

Jeff

Jeff,
I think with an A body and big block it is a must to alter the top of the column, but i think there no column clearance problems on a B body with 3rd gen Hemi.
Thanks
Pat

MxRacer855

keepat

I started relief cutting the right side only of the trans tunnel to fit the T-56 transmission. I saw this method used on an E body in another forum and it looked like a clever way of disguising the modification of the trans tunnel to fit the big 6 speed.
Thanks
Pat

I attached a guide so I could make a straight cut with the plasma cutter.

JB400

Looks good.  I've been wondering why people don't bother doing it this way. It looks a lot better than just bending a piece of metal over ones knee, or through a roller.

Mike DC

Does that steering shaft collapse/telescope anywhere if you get in a wreck? 

keepat

Quote from: JB400 on May 13, 2015, 10:04:16 PM
Looks good.  I've been wondering why people don't bother doing it this way. It looks a lot better than just bending a piece of metal over ones knee, or through a roller.

I hope it works out as it will look original and the carpet may fit? I also plan on adding another cross member/drive shaft loop welded to the floor just aft of the trans cross member.
Thanks!
Pat

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 13, 2015, 11:38:52 PM

Does that steering shaft collapse/telescope anywhere if you get in a wreck? 

Yes I believe all the 1967 and up steering columns had to collapse / telescope.
Thank You!
Pat

keepat

Fabricated an aluminum K member dolly as I will be installing and removing the motor and trans a lot over the next few week to fit the tunnel to the transmission.

I will have a scissor jack at the trans end to help adjust the fit in the car.

With K member dolly made I move the motor from the house to the Hot Rod shop. This is as close as the motor has gotten to the charger and it is about to get closer!
Thanks
Pat

BLK 68 R/T

keepat

Got to love a Plasma cutter! Used about 7 layers of tape for a guide and cut!
Thanks
Pat

http://vid949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/kurts68fastback/IMG_3182_zpslqfcsvbc.mp4

Click on for video.

VegasCharger

Hell yea you gotta love it!!! I don't have a set-up but by you providing the video I can see exactly your point. Did you happen to make some practice runs on some sort of scrap metal first? Clever ideal BTW!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

keepat

Quote from: VegasCharger on May 18, 2015, 11:23:41 AM
Hell yea you gotta love it!!! I don't have a set-up but by you providing the video I can see exactly your point. Did you happen to make some practice runs on some sort of scrap metal first? Clever ideal BTW!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

No practice runs, just kept it along the edge of the tape. The green tape is the thickest I have and with 5 or 6 layers its a large enough edge for a guide.
Thank You!
Pat

keepat

Installed the bell housing and transmission to the motor and set it up on the K member dolly. I think I will need to remove the right side valve cover to clear the right side inter fender. Tomorrow I will test fit the motor and trans in the car to check for tunnel clearances.
Thanks
Pat

Baldwinvette77

keepat

Just like my 1st Charger with the Ray Barton Gen 2 Hemi I needed to remove the right side valve cover to make it past the inter fender. I'm sure if the motor had stock valve covers it would have fit but the Indy valve covers are taller. Now I can start shaping the tunnel to fit the trans. With the lift and the fact that you can put the motor in from the bottom makes fitting and working on the tunnel a lot easier!

I'm left with about 2 3/8" hood clearances, tight but it should work with a custom made air cleaner.
Thanks
Pat 

MxRacer855