News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern Bullitt build

Started by keepat, April 30, 2014, 04:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keepat

Quote from: VegasCharger on July 11, 2015, 11:04:08 PM
Quote from: keepat on July 11, 2015, 08:41:53 PM
I picked up an aluminum air cleaner from Chris with Classic Haulage at Carlisle PA yesterday. Chris is a nice guy and he makes a great aluminum Hemi type air cleaner. A chrome plated repro of the original steel air cleaner is now available but as my motor is all aluminum I keep the aluminum theme. I need to make a custom filter base and get a 426 Hemi Head air cleaner sticker to finish the look.
Thanks
Pat       

I'm sure you will manage with what skills you have.

And cudos to the PW set-up. Question, since you've already experienced the crank handle style pw switch what if someone were to mistake them for a regular crank style regulator and started turning the crank handle with force thinking that it will need that force to roll up or down the window? Are they pretty durable?

I always wondered what would happen in that scenario. Say that you were with a group of friends with your car and they didn't know about the window switch and they tried it while you were not noticing it.

Anyway great progress and I'm sure it will find its way to some magazine :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The controls are very robust and they feel the same as a manual crank when at the end of its travel. They look to be made to take the scenario you described. In my son car with his friend no problem but most 20 year-olds have never seen crank up windows ;-)
Thank You!
Pat

keepat

Quote from: Dino on July 11, 2015, 11:16:43 PM
Quote from: keepat on July 05, 2015, 07:22:15 AM
Quote from: VegasCharger on July 05, 2015, 06:16:27 AM
Great work Pat :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

I got to ask, are you going to have power windows?

If you've stated that earlier in this thread please forgive me as I do not remember and I didn't feel like going back thru it and read it all.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
[/quo

Yes I am planning on power windows however the controls will actually be the traditional crank up window handles. The bullet movie charger had crank up windows so I'd like to keep the theme the same but have the convenience of the power windows. We use the same controls on my sons bullet Mustang, you lift the handle up a half an inch and the windows go up you push the handle down half an inch and the windows go down. Only downside is you cannot operate the rest of the windows but it looks and works cool!
Thank you!
Pat

You know, it really wouldn't take much to add some modern, flat impulse switches under the dash, or in some other area where they go unnoticed, so you can operate all 4 windows.  Add two of these and you can make them one touch power windows, have a vent feature, and have them close when you arm the alarm..   :yesnod:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-DIRECTED-DEI-535T-CAR-POWER-WINDOW-AUTOMATION-MODULE-ROLL-UP-DOWN-4-ALARM-/151222724919

Yes that would be nice with 4 windows!. Thanks for the link!
Pat

MxRacer855

RamZCharger

Love the chrome dome air cleaner . . .  the mix of old and new aesthetics with your engine is outstanding.  Keep up the great work.

keepat

Quote from: RamZCharger on July 13, 2015, 08:18:03 AM
Love the chrome dome air cleaner . . .  the mix of old and new aesthetics with your engine is outstanding.  Keep up the great work.

Thank you, that's what I was shooting for, modified but looks stock. Mopar people will know that it's modified but the average car guy looking at it will think it's mostly stock.
Pat

keepat

I removed the fenders and doors for the 1st time since the factory installed them in 1968. One of the things that attracted me to this car is it has all of its original body panels and has never been in an accident! The doors, fenders, trunk, hood, and a few other parts will go to the soda blaster Monday and the hinges will get shipped to SMS to be rebuilt. Interesting to find that the left and right fender had the same size shims with exception of 1 additional 1/16 shim on the bottom right rocker.
Thanks
Pat

WHITE AND RED 69

Never had the fenders taken off and no accidents. Talk about well taken care of...But it's in better hands now. Love the build!   :2thumbs:
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

MxRacer855

Patronus

You probably couldn't tell the difference in our booths..I have almost the exact same set-up for painting, + an air-dryer...
Just switched from that 100' viper hose though to a kink-less design and am about to test on an E-body.  Will you be spraying it?
As everyone says, great build. And fun to watch, it's why I come here.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

keepat

Quote from: Patronus on July 20, 2015, 08:42:12 PM
You probably couldn't tell the difference in our booths..I have almost the exact same set-up for painting, + an air-dryer...
Just switched from that 100' viper hose though to a kink-less design and am about to test on an E-body.  Will you be spraying it?
As everyone says, great build. And fun to watch, it's why I come here.

The paint booth has work great for a few cars and yes I will paint this car in the same booth. I have friend that is an awesome body man who I hope to have help with the final body work.
Thank you and good luck with your E body spray!
Pat

keepat

I received the Vintage Air system and fit the air handler on the firewall so I can mark the existing hole that I don't need. The system comes with large plate to cover up the hole on the engine side but I plan on welding the holes and not using the plate.
Thanks
Pat

MxRacer855

I'm going this exact same route next Pat!
Your build is very similar to mine regarding some of our features and the way we're installing them chronologically.  :2thumbs:

Jeff

keepat

Quote from: MxRacer855 on July 25, 2015, 09:56:26 AM
I'm going this exact same route next Pat!
Your build is very similar to mine regarding some of our features and the way we're installing them chronologically.  :2thumbs:

Jeff

Jeff, except your car is painted and looks awesome!
Thanks
Pat

keepat

The plan is to make some custom AC lines and run them in the right side fender well. But before I can start on the line I need to fit the US Car Tool inter fender brace. The fit was close but needed a little modification to fit great.

The problem with the fit was the factory welded the shock tower brace 3/8" forward from where it should be. To get the new brace to fit I cut about 3/8" off the front edge of the factory brace so the it would let the new brace slide back to meet the firewall and cowl.

Just a few screw to hold it in place and will weld it on with jack stand under the frame rails at the wheels. You can see how far off the factory mount is off in the last picture, I will re-cut the arch to match before welding.
Thanks
Pat

Canadian1968

That car is in great shape !! Currently doing the front end on mine , the inner fender have some good pitting along the top where the fender bolts on , and on the back against the fire will . I don't see any on yours !

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

keepat

Quote from: Canadian1968 on July 26, 2015, 07:03:35 PM
That car is in great shape !! Currently doing the front end on mine , the inner fender have some good pitting along the top where the fender bolts on , and on the back against the fire will . I don't see any on yours !

Thanks, I bought this charger because it was in such great shape. The only real issue was the trunk pan and the lower quarters. The only other part of the car that needs some rust repair is a small section on the driver side floor. That part where the inter and outer fender meet had just a little seem sealer at the top onlyand I think the water sprayed up in the air for the tire rusting between the two. Better paint and more seam sealer especially after the fenders installed along the bottom edge should prevented in the future.
Good luck with your project and thanks again!
Pat

MxRacer855

Pat, just curious... what do you use to clean up the metal? Wire wheel?

Jeff

keepat

Jeff,
After removing most of the undercoating with a heat gun and putty knife, I wipe off the leftover undercoating with lacquer thinner. Then I use a 6"and 3" DA sander with 80 grit sandpaper to remove the original paint.
Thanks
Pat

MxRacer855

Everything just comes out so clean and new looking.
Great job!

Jeff

keepat

I picked up the doors, fenders, hood, and trunk from the media blaster and Epoxy sealed them with DuPont DTM primer/sealer. No surprises, panels look great only one spot of rust on the bottom of the right door.
Thanks
Pat

ChargerSG

Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Baldwinvette77

Once done you need to find a modern bullit 68 mustang and do a photoshoot for sure :popcrn:

keepat

We already have just the car for that, my sons 68 Mustang Bullitt replica we built about 2 ½ years ago. It has been invited to the Bloomsburg Pa swap meet as part of their TV and movie car display in about two weeks (8/14-16-15)
Thanks
Pat

DC_1