News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headliner developed holes over winter!!

Started by SpudRacer, March 13, 2006, 12:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpudRacer

Last year when I was driving my 69' R/T SE, the headliner was completely intact and looked wonderful.  While taking the instrument cluster out last night, I found a small pile of soft yellow dust on both the passenger and driver's seats.  I looked up at the headliner, and each side has a small 1/2" irregular bordered hole in the headliner with some of the foam eaten away.  I've never used any chemicals to clean the headliner or even wiped it for that matter.  What gives?

Could this be an insect or rodent problem?!?!  No other headliner damage seem.  Both sides have the hole in the same spot, near the retained seat belt strap (about 3 inches), and slightly closer to the front than the rear border of the front window.

Help!!  I'll post a pic tonight.

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Tom
Bryson City, NC
69' Charger R/T SE Turquoise

Shakey

bad1032

Yep mice, mine is the same way, pulled out liner and a nest, lil bastards

Charger1973

The 2 cars I just bought both had mice in them.  I could tell that before I even started on them.  I havent done anything but pull up half the carpet in one of them and already found 2 dead mice.  The sunvisors in both cars have big holes above them in the headliner. 

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

4402tuff4u

I'm not crazy for that smell, but I wonder if fumes emitted from moth balls in a tin can inside the Charger would keep the mice out. :smash:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

bull

Recharger

There's some good info in that link that DodgeChargerGuy posted.  Moparguy01 mentions that fabric softener sheets work as well as mothballs to keep out the mice, and smell a bit better to boot.  As soon as my interior is more than bare metal, I'll be sure to try that one out.

Ghoste

I've used the fabric softener sheets for a while now and they seem to work.  Even when I was storing the car in a barn, I didn't get mice... yet.

bill440rt

I use a CarJacket to store my '70 for the winter. It seals up the whole car & keeps out moisture, dirt, dust, and most importantly, rodents & insects.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bill440rt

Got a question from a member as to where to buy this:

http://www.autoanything.com/products/product_sp.aspx?p_id=1798&se=car_jacket_car_bag

You basically drive the car over the Jacket. Then you place large bags of desiccant around & inside the car (underneath, in the trunk, interior, etc). This attracts any moisture & keeps it in dry storage. Then, you place your car cover on the car. The Jacket is basically a big plastic bag, so you need a soft car cover for protection. Then, you zip up the Jacket & secure it with little supplied padlocks.
Come spring you unzip the Jacket, and the car will be as clean as you put it away. There will be some fumes and odor, but this quickly dissipates.
I've been using this Jacket for several years now, & I've never had a problem.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

4402tuff4u

Pretty awesome system. Now I know what I want for Christmas  :yesnod:

SpudRacer

OK, it seems everyone agrees it's mice.  How do I get them out without hurting the car.  Do you think they're INSIDE the headliner?  Or somewhere else and using the foam for nests?

Oh this is really upsetting me.  Mr. Jingles better look out when I get home tonight.  I'm gonna be doing some mouse hunting.

Tom
Tom
Bryson City, NC

SpudRacer

By the way... that is one  S W E E T looking Purple Charger!!!
Tom
Bryson City, NC

4402tuff4u

Quote from: SpudRacer on March 14, 2006, 01:19:39 PM
OK, it seems everyone agrees it's mice.  How do I get them out without hurting the car.  Do you think they're INSIDE the headliner?  Or somewhere else and using the foam for nests?

Oh this is really upsetting me.  Mr. Jingles better look out when I get home tonight.  I'm gonna be doing some mouse hunting.

Tom

We hunt upstate NY and every fall we plug in these high frequency noise makers that you cannot hear. We never ever had a mice in the cabin while we been there. Every other cabin in the area is polluted with field mice that find a home in the attic and behind walls. This thing works. I'll see if I can get a name for you. Just plug it in and you are set. Totally forgot to mentioned it above in lieu of the moth balls. It just came to me. :yesnod:

SpudRacer

Hmmm, silent electronic device vs. mothballs.  That's a tough one... gimmie a second.                          OK, I choose the silent electronic device.

Tom
Tom
Bryson City, NC

4402tuff4u

Shakey

Why don't you guys just buy a couple of cats?   :D

bill440rt

Do they sell electronic cat eliminators??  :D :D

Shakey

Quote from: bill440rt on March 14, 2006, 09:29:30 PM
Do they sell electronic cat eliminators??  :D :D

Yes.  Take an extension cord, cut the female end off.  Then put a small pile of tender vittles on the ground and place the open end of the extension cord in the middle of the pile.  Then plug in the extension cord and wait.   :D :D :D

bill440rt

Ahhh, that sounds VERY effective! (My neighbor's gonna HATE me!)  :devil:

Ghoste

That also works on dogs who are ruining your shrubs.  Don't ask how I know.

The Ghoul

i had a small hole in the head liner of my 73 when i bought it. When I pulled it down for the resto there was a mouse skeliton stuck in the support fraim!!! Little guy tried to crawl thru a hole just a little too small for em.

Dennis K

So if you get cats for mouse control, what do you do for cat control? I don't like muddy cat tracks on my car much more than mouse holes in my interior. I do like the car jacket idea. I think I'll get myself one of those.

bill440rt

Quote from: 4402tuff4u on March 14, 2006, 02:54:18 PM
Try the link below for these electronic mice eliminators. :yesnod:
http://www.safehomeproducts.com/SHP2/ES/PEST_CONTROL.ASP?PLC=1&GFM=24&b=ie6d&w=1028&h=945&f=N&tp=99999&frompg=239&topg=239&menupage=6

I had an exterminator come over my house yesterday. I caught a little stinkin' mouse the other day with a mouse trap (I better check my '68, I don't have a CarJacket on that one!!!!). I brought up those electronic mice devices, he basically laughed and said they are really not effective at all. If they really were that effective, there would be no need for exterminators.
I've used this exterminator before, from termites to bees (my wife's allergic), and now mice. He's very reputable, so I tend to believe him.
I wouldn't even think about owning a cat (sorry cat lovers).

daves68

Had the same problem with mine too. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it is remove it and install a new one. Remember, the little bastards didn't only chew holes, they whizzed and crapped all over the top side of that liner and you will find that it WILL start stinkin when it gets warm out. I have used dryer sheets in my go- fast ski boat and never had a mouse in it. And, they just love boat interiors.
Makes things smell nice in the spring too.
Dave

SpudRacer

OK, I ordered and received an electronic Ultrasonic and sonic pest control device.  I put it inside the car and turned it up full blast.  Never did find any mice, nor did I find and mouse turds, or ANY other evidence of mouse presence.

I guess I'll replace the headliner once I get the time.

Tom
Tom
Bryson City, NC

terrible one

When I got my car, the headliner had some holes, etc. When I took it out I found a huge nest made of foam, etc. but no mice, thankfully. Also the top of the back seat was ripped up with foam missing. Obviously the bastards took the foam from the back seat and went into the headliner and made a nice little nest. 

4402tuff4u

Quote from: terrible one on March 22, 2006, 10:42:05 AM
When I got my car, the headliner had some holes, etc. When I took it out I found a huge nest made of foam, etc. but no mice, thankfully. Also the top of the back seat was ripped up with foam missing. Obviously the bastards took the foam from the back seat and went into the headliner and made a nice little nest. 

It would really suck if the mice made the nest with your built sheet!!!!  :bawling:

nh_mopar_fan

Quote from: SpudRacer on March 22, 2006, 10:06:27 AM
OK, I ordered and received an electronic Ultrasonic and sonic pest control device.  I put it inside the car and turned it up full blast.  Never did find any mice, nor did I find and mouse turds, or ANY other evidence of mouse presence.

I guess I'll replace the headliner once I get the time.

Tom
Be sure to wear your tinfoil hat when in the car with that going or your teeth will start picking up FM stations.

PocketThunder

Quote from: Ghoste on March 15, 2006, 05:20:14 PM
That also works on dogs who are ruining your shrubs.  Don't ask how I know.

:-X   :smilielol: :smilielol:

I caught some lady walking her dog one cold winter morning when the dog took a huge dump on my neighbors lawn and she left it and walked on.  I ran outside and said, "Hey lady, you forgot your dogs crap!"  She says, "oh i ran out of baggies, i'll be back."  Ya right, i followed her home and she lived on the next street over! 
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Ghoste