News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Year One Harnesses

Started by ChargedNJ, May 19, 2014, 02:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargedNJ

Hey guys, i bought four harnesses when i was super excited about getting my 68 383 charger like 5 years ago.  Then i had kids and never did anything with them.  I'm picking it back up now and i want to make sure i got all the right stuff before i move forward.  My aim when its all said and done is to replace 100% of the wiring so i know i'm brand new and safe.  Everything is from Year One: I bought the engine harness (HU187XM), the forward light harness (HU213B), rear light harness (RL38) and the dash harness (HU296B).  From what i've read, i think my engine harness might be wrong since i have MSD electronic ignition.  Is everything else right and do i have all the right stuff to do the overhaul?  Anything i'm missing?  I also want to make sure i have the good stuff so if there's something else i should buy instead, i would rather just do this once.  Thanks guys.

comet_666

I think I am going your route as well, new everything. I am going to keep my eyes on this post to see what others have done.

ChargedNJ

Yea, my car is a mess off old wires strewn about; just a disorganized mess and a fire waiting to happen i think.  I just want to start over and have the peace of mind.

Mopar Nut

First off, you have the best stuff, M&H makes the wiring for YearOne.  HU187XM engine harness was modified for electronic ignition and updated alternator for all 1968 B-body models with your 383.

I have the same stuff but for a 69.    :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Ghoste

You have the right harnesses, depending how much work you want to do, you can make an MSD work with older harnesses too.  I did it on my 67 but instead of cutting and splicing, I soldered the right connectors onto the MSD stuff and plumbed it in like that.

ChargedNJ

Thanks Mopar Nut.  I've got to say again how much I love this board!  I can turn a wrench but mostly all of this is new to me and everyone here has been nothing but amazingly helpful.

ChargedNJ

I saw this on Year One about HU187XM and thought i bought the wrong thing "Reproduction harness requires the use of the 1970-and-later style alternator and electronic voltage regulator. If using an aftermarket electronic ignition system, our manufacturer suggests that a reproduction harness for point ignition would be a better starting point. Use this harness for plug & play termination of a Chrysler electronic ignition system."

Ghoste

That makes sense then for sure, they're basically telling you to do what I did if you're running an MSD.

ChargedNJ

Thanks Ghoste.  So you think i can make this one work with my MSD?  im sure i can try and sell this harness (still in package) and buy a brand new one that will better work.

Ghoste

I'm sure you could make it work, but if it were me, I'd likely sell it and modify a point one.  Are you running the dual field alternator and electronic regulator?

ChargedNJ

Sorry dude, i'm a bit of a novice here.  I have no idea about the alternator and regulator but i can try and find out.  What is a 'point' one?  So either way, its not plug and play..there is some modification it sounds like.

Ghoste

If you are adding an MSD, then yes there is some modification to be done. 
Does your alternator have a single terminal to plug in or two (plus the lug) and does your regulator have a terminal on each side of it to plug in or just one big plug on the front of it?

ChargedNJ

As soon as I put the kids to bed and get under the hood I'll let you know

Dino

If you're not dead set on 100% original then may I suggest you keep the harness and get the mopar performance '70 and up voltage regulator and a dual field alternator?  Your car will be much happier.  In fact, there's a few electrical mods you can do to make the whole system work much better AND safer.

If bone stock is what you want then ignore what I just said.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Depending on what else you run.  I have the stock loads on my alternator and its happy.  Start adding big stereos and electric cooling fans and electric fuel pumps and electric water pumps and so on, well the needs go up.
For that matter even start adding a lot of stock power options like windows and stuff and you need to upgrade.

ChargedNJ

Looks like my alternator has one plug and then the lug. If I'm correct in what i believe to be the regulator, there is a small terminal on either side.

Dino

Quote from: ChargedNJ on May 19, 2014, 08:57:16 PM
Looks like my alternator has one plug and then the lug. If I'm correct in what i believe to be the regulator, there is a small terminal on either side.

Sounds like the stock setup. 

ChargedNJ

I don't have the desire for a bone-stock car (much respect to those who do though). That said, I don't think I have much need for a lot of electricity load. No power windows and I'm not sure I even want a radio in this thing at all! :) I do eventually want to upgrade to a 426 but that's way off (not sure that that has an impact on my electrical system).

Ghoste

What do you have for a distributor then, is it a points one or electronic?

ChargedNJ

Jeez I feel like a girl watching football for the first time. How do I know?

Ghoste

Not a worry at all buddy.  Is there a box on the inner fender or firewall covered in chrome or painted orange that a harness from the engine plugs into?  When you take the distributor cap off, are their points or no?

ChargedNJ

I appreciate all the help and patience. I definitely have the orange box/plug. I'm cleaned up for the night but I'll pull the distr cap tomorrow and check. So I assumed I had electronic ignition since I had an accel supercool but the more I read, I don't think k that means anything. I'm truly a rookie.

Ghoste

No need, if you have the orange box you have an electronic distributor in there.

ChargedNJ

So I think based on the fact that I don't think I have electronic ignition, I think I got the right harness! I suppose I can always even retrofit this harness if I do get EI down the road.

Ghoste

No, if you have that orange box then you have electronic.

ChargedNJ

Man I feel stupid. Thanks bud. Any recco on the best harness for me then if I want to sell this one?

Ghoste

I kind of think you might have the right one.  More importantly though don't feel stupid, I've been messing with these for a long time and there is someone on this site who makes me feel like a mornon every day.
No matter what you think you know, there are a lot of smart mofo's (and I'm not one of them) on this site and they are always happy to help.

ChargedNJ

Oh right. Yea, I only need a different harness if I have AFTERMARKET EI (duh). I had a brainfart thinking I needed a different harness if I had EI in any form. Nice, so I'm good to go! Dude, thanks for sticking with me...I come around slow sometimes, but I do come around! Do you suppose this is a weekend's worth of work? Can a beginner like me install?

Ghoste

Yes, you can do it in a weekend, you just have to be patient.  There are a bunch of guys on here who are a world better than me and their advice would take precedent but I think you can do it.

ChargedNJ

Thanks pal you've been so helpful. It's no nice of you to take the time to walk me through.  As soon as I get my headers and new starter in this weekend, wiring is up next! Is it ok if I direct message you in the future?

Ghoste

You can but there are so many guys here who are way way way better at any of this than I am.

Dino

Since you already have electronic ignition, you can use the harness you have.  It won't take much adapting to work on your system and it's easily adapted later if you wish to change the charging system.

When you have finished the oh so fun header job  :icon_smile_big: put the harness in place and post a few pics of the wiring connectors and your voltage regulator.  That way we can tell you what goes where.

ChargedNJ

Will do!  Cleaning up the wiring is going to be such a thrill; i hate clutter, lol.  I never thought the headers would be such a pain in the arse; hopefully i can be done with them this weekend so i can move on!  Any of you guys running headers? 

Ghoste

I love having headers on my cars.  The look, the sound and above all the performance improvement.

ChargedNJ

Many benefits, agreed.  Although, i'm still happy i'm doing it, i'm starting to see why folks say they're not worth the effort! Getting the damn centerlink off was damn-near impossible!

Ghoste

ChargedNJ

Dino

I had headers on my 68 383 and run them on my current 69 440.  I do like headers, I merely temporarily change that opinion when I have my hand stuck between them trying to get to something else.   :lol:

Ghoste

You need to drop the center link for big block headers?  What ones are you using?

ChargedNJ

hookers :)  that never gets old

ChargedNJ

omg, i'm really starting to hate headers.  I feel like im probably destroying my car trying to get these things out