News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Turn Signal question-Any Electrical wizards out there?

Started by 71 RT, March 08, 2006, 02:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 RT

I am just about finished with my very slow restoration of my 71 R/T.  I put brand new wiring in the car, so I was pretty excited to see the lights work after putting a battery into the car for the first time in 4 years.  Dash lights, headlights, dome lights, everything appeard great except the turn signals.  The left side worked great, the right side would not blink.  I assumed a bulb was burned out, or not installed correctly, sure enough I had one not burning on the right rear.  I fixed it, parking lights worked, brake lights worked, and even the turn signal worked.  I was very happy, till I tried the left side again.  Now it is not flashing.  Any idea what might cause one side to flash, fix the other side only to have the original "good side" stop working?  Sorry for the confusing email, but this is the simplest way to explain what happened.  Any ideas?? thanks for your time!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Have you replaced the switch in the column?  A common cause to the sympton you describe.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

nascarxx29

Possible for a flasher to not work on 1 side.Try another flasher before the turn signal switch
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Chryco Psycho

it has to either be a ground problem or the TS switch is bad

71 RT

Thanks guys, I will give them all a try.  I appreciate all of your advice.  That is what I love about this site.  Thanks again. 

Nacho-RT74

1-while someone of the sides flashes then won't be the turn signal flasher.
2- if Hazzards works then is not wiring up to lights. Neither ground of course.
3- turn signal switch doesn't need ground, just drive positive, so is not a ground problem there. only ground on column is to horn switch, key courtesy light and shifter lettering.
4- Problem it could be on INPUT to switch or as stated switch itself. So first check for power on Red wire from turn signal  switch harness with key on accesories or Run position. No power on that wire is flasher damaged or source that feeds the Flasher. Flasher is an ALWAYS ON device ( closed circuit ) so that wire is hot with key in ACC or RUN.
5-Wire ( and fuse ) that feeds the flasher is the same that feeds the Radio, so check if your Radio works ;)

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Nacho-RT74

Oh, of course, and check for tighten turn signal switch harness plug... after all it could be just a loosen plug or terminals inside the plug LOL, what is not really rare fail
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

dkn1997

:iagree:

that plug is a dirty ball bag.  especially if you had to take it apart and put it back together.
RECHRGED

austinpalibroda

I have the same kind of problem. in my 69 road runner, both signal lights just quit working one day. tail lights, park lights and brake lights all work ecept the singnals and the flashers by the guages that show which way you're signalling. i took stuff apart, checked everything i could think of.  i'm not a wiring guy so its been really confusing so far! you all had some pretty good advice so i think i'll check out the switch on the column now for sure. any other ideas just in case?
Canadian Mopar Boy.

Nacho-RT74

68/69 are different on how they work. Brakes lights works with hazzard turned on.  3rd gens doesn't... I know sometime in the past I did analize the system, but actually don't remember... give me this afternoon to analize the diagram and tell you...

austinpalibroda

oh i forgot to mention that my hazzard lights worked even when my signals didnt, then one day the hazzards quit working too...
Canadian Mopar Boy.

67RedCharger

Quote from: 71 RT on March 08, 2006, 02:00:31 PM
I am just about finished with my very slow restoration of my 71 R/T.  I put brand new wiring in the car, so I was pretty excited to see the lights work after putting a battery into the car for the first time in 4 years.  Dash lights, headlights, dome lights, everything appeard great except the turn signals.  The left side worked great, the right side would not blink.  I assumed a bulb was burned out, or not installed correctly, sure enough I had one not burning on the right rear.  I fixed it, parking lights worked, brake lights worked, and even the turn signal worked.  I was very happy, till I tried the left side again.  Now it is not flashing.  Any idea what might cause one side to flash, fix the other side only to have the original "good side" stop working?  Sorry for the confusing email, but this is the simplest way to explain what happened.  Any ideas?? thanks for your time!

And Yes,  I'm an Electrical wizard.  So you kicked a sleeping dog it seems.  If the left side signals worked and you worked on the right side (Blubs) and got the right side to work then I would go back and try and remember just exactly what did you kick while working on the right side.  Did you jimmy a connector somewhere back there?  Electronic problems just doesn't come and go without a reason.  You didin't crawl up under the dash and play with the turn signal switch did you?  You can always start from scratch, by breaking out a meter or test light and see if you are getting the voltage to the left side turn signal lights.  Try the emergency flashers and see if they work on the left side.  The emergency flashers uses the same filaments as the turn signals, and the emergency flasher signals goes through the turn signal switch.

~ Don ~
Original Owner "Ole Red" 1967 Red Dodge Charger