News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best wax for single stage paint?

Started by lloyd3, May 26, 2014, 04:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aero426

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 29, 2014, 12:45:10 PM
Good advice from all! Thank you so much. The paint responded well to the hand-application of the "Ultimate" compound. So much so, that I'm now much-more comfortable using my orbital buffer to do the big areas of the rest of the car (Patronus is so right. In 4-hours yesterday I only completed the passenger door and the RR quarter!).  I also sprung for the Maguire's pre-wax polish, and the combination will work nicely. Even w/o wax it looks pretty good.

Once you have the paint compounded, you can apply your wax.   As a final step, an old product that still works really well is 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.     On dark colors, it definitely helps.   It fills swirl marks and gives a bit of a wet look.     Because it is a glaze, it will wash off, so after a couple of car washes or rain, you will reapply it.    It is fast and easy to work with.  

lloyd3

Aero426: UU1 light blue metallic is what I'm working with. This Maguire's product is call their "Ultimate Polish. It's used pre-wax.

Message edit: Got interrupted at work. What I meant to also say was that I hope it works as well as the 3M Imperial stuff you mentioned.

lloyd3

Sitting here with a belly full of steak, taters and vino. Figured that after spending almost all afternoon compounding, polishing, and then waxing this big SOB I deserved it (this used to be easier, when I was less than 50!).  Meguier's products may not be state-of-the-art, but they seem to work fairly well.  It's not a panacea for bad paint, but it does seem to help cure some of the ills.  I'm not done by any standard, but the really hard work is now done. All that remains is the chrome, the glass, and the vinyl top.  The damn 8-track needs to be pulled and worked on as well. Got to extract the remains of the Wichita Lineman from the drive wheel.  Ole' Glenn is having problems all over the place. Getting old sucks!

lloyd3

Photobucket is one hell of alot easier to use here. Nice blurry pix of the wax job!