News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Summit headers

Started by sext7366, March 14, 2006, 10:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sext7366

Same thing as my other post just wanted to let people know these are out there. Can't beat it for the price $95, plus they say they can be used with ps pb ac etc...I also noticed that on two of the pipes they had flattenned out a certain spot.  This leads me to believe that they may be a name brand header, fixed to fit perfectly in the B body. hmmmmm

andy74

i was wondering the same thing,i will need new ones by the end of the summer,and was looking at  them

palindromes

That's timely info for me, I'm getting ready to order some headers for my '68 (w/ 383) very soon & am trying to go the cheapest route possible as well.  So have you actually installed a set of these yet?  I was curious if they fit as advertised (primarily with power steering & automatic transmission).

sext7366

No I havn't installed them because my engine is at the machine shop...I am expecting it within a week or so though, and will keep u posted.  Part of the reason I opted for these was not only for the money, but also because a good friend of mine used them on his 95 chevy truck, took off the paint and then primered and painted them with (Ithink) vht high temp paint which happens to contain some ceramic in it.  It probably wont last half as long as good ceramic headers, but if you break them in right Ive heard it worth it.  He has had his on his truck for two and a half years and they still clean up and look new...no rust!

73Charger

Cool - I just checked it out on their site. I didn't see these in their catalogs (that seem to come every week)
Can anyone translate what they mean by this?

22 - It may be necessary to raise the column cross shaft linkage by rotating the mounting brackets on frame and transmission 180 deg.

Other than this line, the rest sounds good - says they work with just about everything.

Here is the link I found.

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=headers+charger&x=0&y=0&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing
Restoring for cruising. I drive her during the summer.

sext7366

here is a pic of what this is its a pretty common note for headers.

palindromes

Ordered a set yesterday (they're on back-order to March 25th though...you must've gotten their last one in stock). 

I think I'll try stripping them down & shooting w/ VHT as you suggested.  Thanks again for the tip...I'll update how my install goes.

sext7366

Well when I ordered mine they were listed as being on backorder, but I ended up getting them quickly because they must have still had them at their georgia store.  If you are lucky maybe you will get your quick too.

palindromes

Just a quick update.  I received the headers & it had a few flaws that should've easily been caught in a 20-second quality inspection.  The front & rearmost flanges (for cyl 1&7) weren't planed very flat.  I think I was able to fix that with a file, at least to the point that the gasket should make up for what I missed.  Also, the rear-most bolt hole had a blob of weld spatter in it so that I couldn't even fit a bolt through it (I was able to pop it out with a screwdriver).  The right side header looks to be ok.

Other than that, I trial-fit the driver's side & it slipped in pretty easily (after jacking-up the left side an inch or so).  I didn't have the starter in place, but it looks there should be plenty of room.  The collectors don't seem to sit terribly close to the ground either.  So far I really can't complain too much for 95 bucks, but will reserve final judgement for when the job's done.

Attached a few pics for anyone interested...

73Charger

:popcrn: Looks pretty good. Yeah I could put up with a bit of filing for that price. thanks for the pics.
1973 Charger SE 318 060 over, edel 1405, added elec choke, Mallory CD Ignition, Hdrs, to Dual Ravin Exhaust, Go-Wing

sext7366

I just double checked my headers from summit and they  won't require any filing...maybe you got the exception to the rule, but either way a hundred bucks and some filing, can't beat it.

73Charger

Thanks again for all the posts - I just put in my order for some!  :thumbs:
Its more of a necessity for me since mine have a whole in them and I don't want to hurt the motor because of it.  :icon_smile_sad:
Hopefully I won't break too much during the install - never having done it before.
I'm guessing a whole lot of liquid wrench and probably even some heat may be needed for the like 6 year old bolts in the head and in the collector. Also - what kind of sealant would be recommended on bolts so coolant doesnt leak out, and is it clear somewhere which ones need it and which don't? Mines a 318.

palindromes

Just got my drivers side header 'permanently' installed.  Found I had to slightly widen the frontmost bolt-hole on the manifold flange since it was a little off center...when I trial-fit it earlier I didn't try threading all the bolts into the holes.  Otherwise I was able to get it in with the starter & everything ok.

When I talked to my machinist (after taking in one of my heads in to have a broken exhaust manifold stud extracted), he said to just use the black hi-temp silicon on the studs, so that's what I'm using.  From what I could tell, all the bolt holes went into the water galley on my 383 heads but not sure about that..

Duey

Is it just me or do they look a lot like Heddmans?
73 SE Brougham, F3 , 440, 850 Pro-form, 727 w TA 10", 4.10SG

jackel440

this sounds good.how thick is the flange on these suckers?I might have to try a set when i put the 383 in my 72 :yesnod:

sext7366

Actually I was wondering if they might be headman headers...if I remember right the mopar performance headers were a name brand, just sold with the mopar performance name.

MOPARHOUND!

Quote from: sext7366 on April 04, 2006, 01:07:22 AM
Actually I was wondering if they might be headman headers...if I remember right the mopar performance headers were a name brand, just sold with the mopar performance name.

Interesting read on headers written by a guy who works for Summit (no comment on the Summit headers though).  He does say that the Dyonmax and FlowTech brands are the same header.

http://www.moparts.com/Tech/Archive/exhaust/17.html

The bracket/part pictured earlier in this thread is on column shift cars.  I have a special part TTI sales, the horizontal shaft has a giant U shape in the middle to clear the header tube.  Think it was $35.00, and would work with other headers with a similar clearance problem.  Took some shimming with various washers to get the clearances right.  Console shift cars would not have this problem.
1971 Charger R/T, 440 H.P., Auto, A/C Daily Driven (till gas went nuts).  NOW IN CARS FOR SALE SECTION: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48709.0.html
1969 Charger 318/Auto (latest addtion): http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,31948.0.html
*Speed costs money son, how fast do you want to go, and for how long?"
*"Build the biggest engine you can afford the first time."
*"We normally wouldn't use a 383 for this build, parts and labor for a 440 cost the same."

73Charger

I was thinking - just looking at the pictures - that all these seemed to be the same thing as well.  I just got mine today - that was fast - 4 days from my last post when I ordered. Now if the weather would only get nice enough to begin installing them...  Thanks for the sealer answer. I'll make sure I have some for every bolt.

palindromes

Finished the passenger side last night (pic attached).  It was quite a bit easier than the drivers side since I didn't have a starter to hold in place.  Pretty decent clearance too.  73Charger- glad you mentioned the sealer, I had forgotten to do that last night...just got that taken care of tonight.

Overall this seems like a decent buy for someone on a budget.  Hope the install goes well for you guys!

Smoke20

Quote from: 73Charger on April 05, 2006, 07:14:04 PM
I was thinking - just looking at the pictures - that all these seemed to be the same thing as well.  I just got mine today - that was fast - 4 days from my last post when I ordered. Now if the weather would only get nice enough to begin installing them...  Thanks for the sealer answer. I'll make sure I have some for every bolt.

How'd the summit headers fit in your 318 car. I have a 318 also and would like to know before I buy.
Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded

haueter66

just my  :Twocents: but I tried a set of summit headers on my 71 440 and they did not fit.  They hit on the power steering gear.  even if I shifted the engine as far to the pass side as possible they wouldnt clear.  Maybe an isolated incident, but just something to consider if you have a 71/72 and are thinking about these headers for a BB.  I ended up using the ultra super highly expensive schumachers... drained my bank account but they fit in easily enuff  ;D

greenpigs

I have a set of shorty headman headers but I will order a set of summit brand and just have the shorties for some other future project. Plus they are made in the USA and the price is right.

Are those on a 440 70 Charger?

I run a manual valve body so the kickdown linkage doesn't matter.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Ponch ®

hmmm...i was looking into getting Summit headers for my 360 (74 charger), but apparently they dont fit cars with power steering. Looks like im gonna have to cough up the extra $40 for the hedmans that do fit PS cars.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

deputycrawford

I bought the Ceramic coated Dynomax headers for my car 2 years ago. They went in my 383 69 Charger just fine and haven't deteriorated any since. They were only $245. I would easily buy another set if I ever needed to.
If it ain't wide open; it ain't running.        Rule number one in motocross racing: Pin it; row the gear box; and wait until you hit something.     At work my motto is: If you need me, call someone else.

Smoke20

I just ordered the Hooker super comps from Summit, along with their house brand header-back exhaust.

WooT! A Full system for about $350 shipped.

Kevin
It's MoPar or No Car!  :drive:

'69 Dodge Charger - Black primer
01 Dodge Intrepid R/T 3.5L Magnum V6 36K
05 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT Inferno Red, Loaded