News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

...my 1st '69 Daytona

Started by 69 DAYTONA, June 08, 2014, 11:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 DAYTONA

...1981, Baker Park Car Show, New Castle Indiana,

...I had just purchased this '69 Daytona a few months earlier from the original owner, it had 10,427 original miles...F6 / Wh, 440 4-spd

...this was my first car show ever...just noticed my dad is also standing in the right corner of the shot and his '69 Chevy convertible is parked behind me...the Daytona still had the rusty chrome wheels on it and the crappy original factory paint, steel wheels and Dog Dish hub caps were in the trunk

...I put 15K miles on the car during the time I owned it...I used it as a daily driver in nice weather and it was my Coca Cola service vehicle, hauling parts to repair Coke Fountains in restaurants...it sure did raise eye brows when it rolled into a McDonalds for a service call, LOL

69 DAYTONA

...a few weeks later with new tires, still wearing the original paint but it was peeling off like old house paint on the roof and nose

69 DAYTONA

...the original 10K mile interior, it was flawless...the cars interior still looks like this today

69 DAYTONA

...and here I am with my old friend at the MOPAR Nats in 2013...the car has held up better than I have

69 DAYTONA

...1984, the Daytona was on display at the New Castle Chrysler Open House...me and my son

69 DAYTONA

...my son and I with the Daytona at the MOPAR Nats, 2011 (27 years later)...he is taller and I am wider

Mopar Nut

Cool story and pictures, thanks for sharing.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TUFCAT

hemi68charger

One of the best color combo's ever...... and Fo-speed to boot......  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Ghoste

Thats a great historical.  :cheers:

held1823

forever one of my favorite cars, and the second daytona that i ever saw. i vividly recall it rumbling around town on a regular basis. it is one of the two "day-one" daytonas that were in this small town. the original owner of this particular one was my childhood barber; it's pretty cool to know that the dreaded old "bowl cuts" helped pay for it, four bits at a time...

the car is absolutely stunning. admittedly, the white stripe looks better, especially with the white interior, but i'd love to see it get the correct color wrapped around the tail, if only for memory's sake

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemigeno

That is a pretty awesome car & option combo - love the vintage pics, especially with those floor mats.    O0

Couple of questions for you, Larry - was the car missing its chin spoiler when you got it?  Also... I'm assuming it's coded for the manual right side mirror?  There aren't too many Daytonas with that option (I have maybe 10 or 11 logged with G31).

It's also interesting that the car right before yours is also a non-console, non-buddy seat car.

:2thumbs:

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: hemigeno on June 09, 2014, 09:27:39 AM
That is a pretty awesome car & option combo - love the vintage pics, especially with those floor mats.    O0

Couple of questions for you, Larry - was the car missing its chin spoiler when you got it?  Also... I'm assuming it's coded for the manual right side mirror?  There aren't too many Daytonas with that option (I have maybe 10 or 11 logged with G31).

It's also interesting that the car right before yours is also a non-console, non-buddy seat car.

...I don't remember about the mirror, it was a 99.9 % original car when I bought it
...chin spoiler was in the trunk and the original steel wheels and hub caps were in the garage...he had snagged the spoiler on a parking block at the Talladega Speedway when the car was new, came home and took it off and it stayed off until I bought the car12-13 years later...the spoiler was barely damaged, wouldn't even have noticed it

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 09, 2014, 07:38:33 AM
One of the best color combo's ever...... and Fo-speed to boot......  :2thumbs:
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: Awesome thanks for posting.

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Davtona

The OTHER Green one from New Castle Ind. if you know what I mean.  :smilielol: Very nice!

held1823

lol, dave. technically, this was the first daytona in new castle. the original owner bought it in noblesville, indiana a few weeks before the b5 car arrived at the dealership in rushville, indiana. john dabney had the other f6 (yours), along with a few other wing cars over the years. was it the one sold new in greenfield? that would make all three cars originally sold within a thirty minute drive from new castle
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69 DAYTONA

...there was another F6 Daytona in New Castle for a short period of time, my neighbor owned it...there were 2-F6 Daytonas just a couple of blocks apart, where else but New Castle

held1823

i keep thinking that john had two different daytonas over the years, as well as a superbird, but i might have that backwards? i'm 99% sure his superbird is the one that later went to the museum in pigeon forge, tennessee
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Davtona

Quote from: held1823 on June 09, 2014, 04:12:34 PM
lol, dave. technically, this was the first daytona in new castle. the original owner bought it in noblesville, indiana a few weeks before the b5 car arrived at the dealership in rushville, indiana. john dabney had the other f6 (yours), along with a few other wing cars over the years. was it the one sold new in greenfield? that would make all three cars originally sold within a thirty minute drive from new castle

Quote from: 69 DAYTONA on June 09, 2014, 06:42:24 PM
...there was another F6 Daytona in New Castle for a short period of time, my neighbor owned it...there were 2-F6 Daytonas just a couple of blocks apart, where else but New Castle

Yup that's it. The Star Daytona, does that narrow it down? Isn't that wild that there could be 2 F6 Daytonas within a couple city blocks of each other. What are the odds of that even if it was for only a short time. Got any pictures of mine from back then tucked away anywhere?

held1823

i'm not sure about john himself, but his wife is on facebook. she might even be on larry's friend list (he's like rock-star popular), so there might be a chance there are photos available somewhere
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: held1823 on June 09, 2014, 08:33:55 PM
i'm not sure about john himself, but his wife is on facebook. she might even be on larry's friend list (he's like rock-star popular), so there might be a chance there are photos available somewhere

...John and his parents (deceased) are old friends of my dads, his wife Sharon is on FB quite a bit...John and Sharon were at the Cruise In here a couple of weeks ago

...unfortunately the only pix I have of the other local Daytonas is in my mind...didn't carry a camera much back then, tried to get the red/red one out for a photo shoot next week, it's too mechanically disabled to make it

...I only remember John having 2 winged cars, the ones mentioned above

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Daytona Enthusiast

Super Sweet Ride...

69 DAYTONA

...thanx for posting the article, I've never scanned it yet

...that photo shoot was done on Easter Sunday by a fairly famous Brittish photographer, the late Nicky Wright...due to family stuff that day, I let the owner of the Yelo HEMI Bird and another friend take my Daytona out for the day...the shoot was done around Hartford City, Indiana...the article about the Daytona only was shot at the New Castle Airport

69_500

Larry, when is the last time you saw the red/red Daytona? I have tried calling them several times but never get an answer. I have wanted to get my 500 up to their place and get some pictures of it with the Daytona. Since it used to be my dads.

69 DAYTONA

Quote from: 69_500 on June 10, 2014, 10:52:32 AM
Larry, when is the last time you saw the red/red Daytona? I have tried calling them several times but never get an answer. I have wanted to get my 500 up to their place and get some pictures of it with the Daytona. Since it used to be my dads.

...I haven't seen the car in many many years, she is a FB friend of mine...might try that

RallyeMike

I love seeing the old "back in the day" pictures. It even more fun to compare to a current photo. Thanks for sharing these.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

69_500

The last time I saw the car I was just driving I. The area and stopped in. Did not even have a camera with me.

held1823

i can't find them now, but i had taken some photos of it on one of our final days working together at chrysler. she drove it to work that day since very few people had ever seen the car. this was nearly a decade ago. it was still pretty solid at that time, with just a small amount of bubbling at the bottom of the quarters. they had not striped it due to wanting to have that fixed before doing so.

i think it was on the cover of one the paddock's parts catalogs, if anyone has a copy of it.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

nascarxx29

I got a copy of paddocks catalog
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

tan top

good pictures & story , thanks for sharing   :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html