News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

neccessary to degree cam

Started by Bandit72, March 15, 2006, 08:10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandit72

ok, i'm gonna be tinkering with my 413 for awhile during spring break and i've heard that it is a really good idea, but not neccessary to degree a new (performance cam) what do you all think, should i do it or not? The engine is stock except for the cam, edelbrock intake, carb, and hooker headers...i installed new lifters with the cam and new mopar performance valve springs...later i plan on doing headwork to it, if i do end up putting it in the charger....

here are the specs on the cam

Comp Cams
                      intake   exhaust
gross valve lift    .507        .510
duration @
.006 tappet lift   284         296

later  :icon_smile_cool:
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

694spdRT

Well, when I installed the cam in my 440 with the dots lined up it was out 4 degrees after I degreed it in. So in my case it was definately worth checking.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

firefighter3931

Allways degree the cam in.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

I will not install a cam without degreeing it , the chain or cam can be off , even the crank keyway , it is nessisary to check it to be sure it is right

Headrope

The car will still run if you choose not to degree the cam. But you'll always be guessing when it comes to tuning because you'll never have established where zero is.
The price of the degree wheel - even if you're only ever going to use it once - is worth it. You'll then know that 15 degrees btdc is truly 15 degrees btdc, etc.
Sixty-eights look great and the '69 is fine.
But before the General Lee there was me - Headrope.

max

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 18, 2006, 02:04:24 AM
I will not install a cam without degreeing it , the chain or cam can be off , even the crank keyway , it is nessisary to check it to be sure it is right

:iagree: i have seen too many times where the chain or marks on the cogs have been off or even the crank key slot has been cut wrong. i had one timming set (Cloyes) that was bringing the cam degree in at 120* and the installed position should have been 108* ::)