News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Totalled 69 daytona in 1971 Newspaper story archive most likely XX29L9B402977

Started by nascarxx29, July 04, 2014, 11:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnation74

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: held1823 on November 26, 2014, 06:18:30 PM
Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on November 26, 2014, 10:46:42 AM
Right John, precisely my point. Whatever parts you need to buy to save your car whether its a pair of fenders or a body shell hulk, it's your car and it's up to the owner's discretion as to what route he should take. It's his money, and buying a body shell hulk would save a lot of time, money, and result in a better restoration in the end. If the process is publically documented what's the big deal?
There are people commenting here who are trying to spin my words on their head to make a point they don't need to for the sake of being argumentative. :brickwall:
Anyone who reads what I have written above should know I am NOT advocating swapping VINS to a lesser but better condition car for the later purpose of profit. Obviously that is illegal and unethical.
I am talking about using junkyard parts to save a car that would otherwise be reconstructed using aftermarket parts.
The advantage in using junkyard parts is in the restoration labor/time/parts cost savings.
You're saving a Daytona that may otherwise have been junked, It will be exciting to see your project as it's moving along. A historic venture actually! :2thumbs:

call it argumentative or whatever the hell other word you choose, but no one is spinning your words except for you. the car you are restoring in your scenario is no longer the more desirable car once you move its numbers over to the less desirable shell. (a shell that you originally claimed never had any numbers of its own). if you are not swapping numbers for profit, exactly what are you doing? certainly not saving the more desirable car.

you are committing a felony. what part of that does not sink in?  

Preserving automotive/personal history for one. You are the one who speculates it is being done for profit, not me. The majority of people I know are in it for sentimental reasons of one kind or another-NOT for the money! In most cases(if not all)the cost of restoring a car that has damage that extensive far exceeds the amount you could sell the car for. 
"My other car is a farm tractor"

held1823

Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on November 26, 2014, 07:59:29 PM
Preserving automotive/personal history for one.

the lesser car is also automotive history. why not preserve it and let the junk one be the sacrificial lamb?

You are the one who speculates it is being done for profit, not me. The majority of people I know are in it for sentimental reasons of one kind or another-NOT for the money! 

if it's not the money, then why are the numbers so important? redo the lesser car, or turn it into a clone/tribute/insert today's chic word/ of the one too far gone. 

In most cases(if not all)the cost of restoring a car that has damage that extensive far exceeds the amount you could sell the car for. 

the most accurate statement you've made. if it's a sentimental thing, recouping the cost shouldn't be the main concern, although swapping the numbers sure makes that easier to do, doesn't it?

i imagine the audience is tired of the debate. i know i am. we can go back and forth forever, but personal opinions aside, the law is the law.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69DAYTONASE

You are absolutely right, I too am tired of the debate. Particularly when the debater doesn't stay on topic and misses completely the main point. How many times can a theme be restated? Anyway, it's been fun. Don't get too dizzy. :sleep:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

held1823

your main point about VIN fraud being ok when it's solely for altruistic or sentimental reasons? naaa, i got that from your very first post about it

Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on November 25, 2014, 06:30:58 PM
Personally, it would be a joyous thing to see a totaled Daytona saved by re-bodying....then the machine lives on. As long as the rebody is publically documented......why not! :shruggy:

after all, this number on this body is just as nice as the body it was intended for
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053