News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Color breakdown of the 70 produced HEMI powered Daytonas?

Started by rotten1965, July 07, 2014, 10:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rotten1965

Does anyone here have the breakdown by color for the 70 (48 autos 22 4 speeds) produced HEMI powered Daytonas made? I have searched the net to come up with some type of list but no luck. I was just curious to see if all production available colors were made with the HEMI option. Thanks for any feedback!

Mopar John

I have seen a list with color quantities for Daytonas but not with engines. There is also a Daytona shipment list that only has 35 HEMI Daytonas listed.
There is a very good survival rate with around 29 of the 35 known. You can scan this site and start to get a very good idea of the colors that were made.
There are some surprises with 2 copper colored ones out of a low overall color.
MJ

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

rotten1965

I love the 1969 Dodge Daytona Registry! Very useful source when searching for any information about these amazing cars! I have to give Homerr and all the others who supplied the information for this spreadsheet a huge thank you for taking the time to upload all the data and photos. I was able to answer my own question of what colors did the Hemi powered Daytona come in? Well it breaks down to 29 "Known" Hemi Daytonas that I was able to cross reference color breakdown.

B5-Bright Blue Metallic-2
F6-Bright Green Metallic-3
F8-Dark Green Metallic-1
R4-Bright Red-6
T3-Light Bronze Metallic-1
T5-Copper Metallic-2
W1-Eggshell White-2
X9-Black-2
Y2-Yellow-1
V2-Hemi Orange-9

I know from my own collection of pictures that there is "1" A4 Silver Metallic Hemi Daytona with a Black Wing and Black interior. Maybe some of the members can add to the missing color information of the 8 unknown "Hemi" cars on the Registry list.

ACUDANUT

I thought Daytona's were only a 69 model year, even though they all had 70 Fenders.  :shruggy:

held1823

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 26, 2016, 04:35:33 PM
I thought Daytona's were only a 69 model year, even though they all had 70 Fenders.  :shruggy:

the 70 he referred to is a number quantity, not a model year
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

I'd call the fender a 69 1/2 part, along with the hood, since neither is the same as a 1970 Charger part.  :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

6bblgt

& the long referenced Daytona HEMI production = 70 is WRONG!! (a GG "guesstimate" long ago)

& while the on-line Daytona registry has its benefits it also has issues - there is only one B5 HEMI Daytona & there are NO A4 HEMI Daytonas - a picture does NOT represent as built fact

ACUDANUT

Quote from: held1823 on November 26, 2016, 05:14:21 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 26, 2016, 04:35:33 PM

the 70 he referred to is a number quantity, not a model year

Oops, sorry. I guess I was reading what I wanted...Not what I saw.

rotten1965

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 26, 2016, 06:24:54 PM
& the long referenced Daytona HEMI production = 70 is WRONG!! (a GG "guesstimate" long ago)

& while the on-line Daytona registry has its benefits it also has issues - there is only one B5 HEMI Daytona & there are NO A4 HEMI Daytonas - a picture does NOT represent as built fact

http://www.wwnboa.org/frankenmuthjpgs/franken20.jpg

I guess this is a "Clone" or a "repaint" A4 Hemi Daytona that was here in Michigan at the 2006 Winged Warriors/NBOA National meet in Frankenmuth?

rotten1965

I remember speaking to John Pappas about the A4 Hemi Daytona that was at the 2006 National meet here in Michigan and he told me it was owned by a woman (Joanne?) from the Chicago area and could be bought for 250K. This was a few years back (maybe 2012) and the last time I spoke to John he told me she still owned the car and drives it on a occasion to local shows. I remember him telling me that it was all original sheet metal with original paint, motor and transmission. I'm sure the 250K is no longer a valid purchase price with the recent spike in Hemi cars (I could never afford it anyways).

moparstuart

Quote from: rotten1965 on November 26, 2016, 11:05:12 PM

http://www.wwnboa.org/frankenmuthjpgs/franken20.jpg

I guess this is a "Clone" or a "repaint" A4 Hemi Daytona that was here in Michigan at the 2006 Winged Warriors/NBOA National meet in Frankenmuth?
Real Daytona ,  But not a factory Hemi Car Still owned by Wayne Perkins
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: rotten1965 on November 26, 2016, 11:21:49 PM
I remember speaking to John Pappas about the A4 Hemi Daytona that was at the 2006 National meet here in Michigan and he told me it was owned by a woman (Joanne?) from the Chicago area and could be bought for 250K. This was a few years back (maybe 2012) and the last time I spoke to John he told me she still owned the car and drives it on a occasion to local shows. I remember him telling me that it was all original sheet metal with original paint, motor and transmission. I'm sure the 250K is no longer a valid purchase price with the recent spike in Hemi cars (I could never afford it anyways).
That was also a Real Daytona , but not a factory Hemi Car 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Mopar John

moparstuart is correct that Joannes car is a real A4 Daytona but with a non original HEMI engine.
That Daytona was driven more miles and attended more shows than most!
Joanne sold the Daytona a couple of years ago and it's getting a top notch restoration!
Should be back out in the spring!
MJ

odcics2

The "70" production figure for Hemi Daytonas was a guess that was published in "Special Interest Auto" magazine in the late 70's.  It was an extrapolated number by the wing car guys of the time of known car/engine combinations.

To clarify, Galen was not on the scene yet. He started off in the early 80s. In 1985, I gave him a tour of Chrysler Engineering in Highland Park, MI.  He was there poking around for production numbers, option codes, owners info, etc. as he was ramping up his knowledge base. 

FJMG

Ambler, Pa. 412548 (chandler, Greene, wellborn) was T5 also, not T3.
I believe there is a pic of the b/c sheet on this site somewhere.

*edit*
interestingly enough, the registry shows an equal trans breakdown for the known hemi vins at 15 apiece.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: odcics2 on November 27, 2016, 10:19:42 AM

The "70" production figure for Hemi Daytonas was a guess that was published in "Special Interest Auto" magazine in the late 70's.  It was an extrapolated number by the wing car guys of the time of known car/engine combinations.

To clarify, Galen was not on the scene yet. He started off in the early 80s. In 1985, I gave him a tour of Chrysler Engineering in Highland Park, MI.  He was there poking around for production numbers, option codes, owners info, etc. as he was ramping up his knowledge base. 

To bad Chrysler threw all their paperwork in dumpster as they were moving out of Highland park. Anybody know what color the 99 Special order paint Daytona was? LEON.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

odcics2

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 27, 2016, 01:43:01 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on November 27, 2016, 10:19:42 AM

The "70" production figure for Hemi Daytonas was a guess that was published in "Special Interest Auto" magazine in the late 70's.  It was an extrapolated number by the wing car guys of the time of known car/engine combinations.

To clarify, Galen was not on the scene yet. He started off in the early 80s. In 1985, I gave him a tour of Chrysler Engineering in Highland Park, MI.  He was there poking around for production numbers, option codes, owners info, etc. as he was ramping up his knowledge base.  

To bad Chrysler threw all their paperwork in dumpster as they were moving out of Highland park. Anybody know what color the 99 Special order paint Daytona was? LEON.

Gone before that.  In 85, Galen found little info around, just old timers that remembered it going to storage and never seen again...  :rotz:

held1823

Anybody know what color the 99 Special order paint Daytona was?

omaha orange
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

rotten1965

Quote from: Mopar John on November 27, 2016, 10:03:22 AM
moparstuart is correct that Joannes car is a real A4 Daytona but with a non original HEMI engine.
Joanne sold the Daytona a couple of years ago and it's getting a top notch restoration!
MJ

Mopar John, Is the new owner a current member here? And did they find the original numbers matching engine and transmission to make the A4 Daytona complete as the day it left the factory? I was not aware that the Hemi in that car wasn't Factory original, I was hoping that one of the eight unknown Hemi cars was an A4. Who can fill us in on the back story/history of that car? Did the owner who did the Hemi swap keep the original motor and tranny? Can you tell us who is doing the restoration and do they have pictures to share of the ongoing work?

Sorry for all the questions but I loved that car from the moment I laid eyes on it and now my dreams are shattered knowing that no Factory A4 Hemi Daytonas were ever made :'(. The A4 Daytona with a Black or White wing to me is the most amazing looking wing car ever made (Not crazy about the red wing or interior on some of the A4s). Any info on any of the A4s known to still exist would be great to share here on the aero car forum!

Aero426

Quote from: rotten1965 on December 01, 2016, 03:03:03 AM
MJ

Mopar John, Is the new owner a current member here? And did they find the original numbers matching engine and transmission to make the A4 Daytona complete as the day it left the factory? I was not aware that the Hemi in that car wasn't Factory original, I was hoping that one of the eight unknown Hemi cars was an A4. Who can fill us in on the back story/history of that car? Did the owner who did the Hemi swap keep the original motor and tranny? Can you tell us who is doing the restoration and do they have pictures to share of the ongoing work?

Sorry for all the questions but I loved that car from the moment I laid eyes on it and now my dreams are shattered knowing that no Factory A4 Hemi Daytonas were ever made :'(. The A4 Daytona with a Black or White wing to me is the most amazing looking wing car ever made (Not crazy about the red wing or interior on some of the A4s). Any info on any of the A4s known to still exist would be great to share here on the aero car forum!

When she bought it, JoAnnes silver L code Daytona came with a worn out Hemi with dual plug heads, running a single plug.   It was a junk engine that happened to run.     She had it replaced locally with a 440 that was not original to the car.    That is the engine that is in the car today.   

Mopar John

Quote from: rotten1965 on December 01, 2016, 03:03:03 AM
MJ

rotten1965,
The new owner is not a current member here. Like Aero426 stated the original 440 engine was discarded some time before the HEMI was installed and a non numbers 440 after.
I do know who is doing the work and it's top notch! The next time I speak with the owner I will ask about becoming a member here and sharing pictures of the restoration.
I also know one of the big reasons the current owner purchased this Daytona was for the color and the limited number produced in that color!
MJ

held1823

what are the last six of joanne's former a4? it is certainly a beautiful color combo.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Dave Kanofsky

Just for yucks, here's what it looked like after I detailed it, before it was sold...
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mopar John

Quote from: held1823 on December 01, 2016, 09:12:54 PM
what are the last six of joanne's former a4? it is certainly a beautiful color combo.
Ernie,
The vin for Joannes  former A4 Daytona is XX29L9B390020.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: Dave Kanofsky on December 02, 2016, 09:30:36 AM
Just for yucks, here's what it looked like after I detailed it, before it was sold...
Dave,
Thanks for the great picture!
Could you add the picture to XX29L9B390020 in the registry on this site?
All that we have is a picture of the fender tag but none of the car so any you have would be great!
Thanks! MJ

TiMopar

Dave, thanks for sharing the picture of that beautiful silver car.

hemigeno

Quote from: held1823 on November 27, 2016, 04:35:09 PM
Anybody know what color the 99 Special order paint Daytona was?

omaha orange

I have heard rumors of another 99/Special Order Paint Daytona which was painted something other than Omaha Orange.  All the "99" paint code indicated was "Non-Standard Color".  But... the one in the photo is well-documented to be that hue.

held1823

how many power tours decals did you have to scrape off? she certainly was not afraid to drive it
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: held1823 on December 02, 2016, 09:18:32 PM

how many power tours decals did you have to scrape off? she certainly was not afraid to drive it

No Doubt.

I was told to leave the ones on the back window, but got to clean the Forum Freaks ones off of the wing uprights.
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

held1823

All that we have is a picture of the fender tag but none of the car so any you have would be great!
Thanks! MJ

there are a handful of them among the photos i took at indy in 2012

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/held1823/library/2012%20indy?sort=3&page=1
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

rotten1965

Quote from: held1823 on December 02, 2016, 10:12:01 PM
Thanks! MJ

WOW! Thank you so much for all the pictures of this Amazing Daytona! A4 with Black Interior/Wing is so Damn easy on the eyes! I have to say that with the detail job done by Dave this car still looks great at 47 years old even before a complete restoration. I am trying to find more pictures of another A4 Daytona that has a White Wing that I pulled off the net a few years ago. I think it's a Clone because the nose and fenders are solid (no seal to seperate them). It was taken on the side of the road from the drivers side with the headlights open and turned on. Does anyone know the story or have details of that A4 Daytona? I don't know what it is about this color (A4) but it sure make the 1969 Dodge Daytona even more Bad A$$! Thanks again to all the helpful members here in the Aero Car Forums!

Dave Kanofsky

Quote from: rotten1965 on December 04, 2016, 01:52:43 AM
Quote from: held1823 on December 02, 2016, 10:12:01 PM
Thanks! MJ

WOW! Thank you so much for all the pictures of this Amazing Daytona! A4 with Black Interior/Wing is so Damn easy on the eyes! I have to say that with the detail job done by Dave this car still looks great at 47 years old even before a complete restoration. I am trying to find more pictures of another A4 Daytona that has a White Wing that I pulled off the net a few years ago. I think it's a Clone because the nose and fenders are solid (no seal to seperate them). It was taken on the side of the road from the drivers side with the headlights open and turned on. Does anyone know the story or have details of that A4 Daytona? I don't know what it is about this color (A4) but it sure make the 1969 Dodge Daytona even more Bad A$$! Thanks again to all the helpful members here in the Aero Car Forums!

Thanks!  I sent a few more shots to Homerr for the Daytona Registry.

500Jon

Stunning SILVER/BLACK Daytona indeed! :2thumbs:
Those 14 inch wheels look TINY... :scratchchin:

All Daytona's should have come with 15 x 7 rims, just my  :Twocents:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

held1823

Dave, I think there are a few photos of both your car and Pat's bird in the monster mopar 2012 album on my photobucket
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

70Sbird

Dave K,
great job on the detailing and sticker removal!
I'll always remember the car a little dirtier and well used! She wasn't afraid of stretching it's legs....I don't think I ever saw the front of her car! :smilielol:
Here are a couple of pics in southern Tennessee on the way back from Talladega in 2009. I was doing my best to keep up with her, and Danny was trying to keep up with me in his 500 when is still had the tall gear in it!

Scott Faulkner

rotten1965

Quote from: 70Sbird on December 14, 2016, 11:53:38 AM
Dave K,
I'll always remember the car a little dirtier and well used! She wasn't afraid of stretching it's legs....I don't think I ever saw the front of her car! :smilielol:
Here are a couple of pics in southern Tennessee on the way back from Talladega in 2009. I was doing my best to keep up with her, and Danny was trying to keep up with me in his 500 when is still had the tall gear in it!

70Sbird,

Thanks for sharing these pictures! Can you remember what the top end speed was during these highway runs? I have heard (depending on rear axel ratio) that both the Daytona and Superbird were able to reach speeds of 155 mph without any modifications and with a good tail wind could push 165. If there are any members that have pushed their cars to the max to see what they were able to do out on the highways please share your top end speed! Please include motor/trans info also! (Mods, Please let me know if you prefer that I start a "Top End Speed" Thread)

odcics2

My first Bird had a 3:55 gear and on the way home after I bought it, I stood on it from a standstill.
It ran up to 120 before it shifted into "D" and was still pulling strong.   I let it go a little longer before I had to slow down for a stop.

The car was as stable as could be.   :2thumbs:

70Sbird

Quote from: rotten1965 on December 15, 2016, 01:23:27 AM
Quote from: 70Sbird on December 14, 2016, 11:53:38 AM
Dave K,

70Sbird,

Thanks for sharing these pictures! Can you remember what the top end speed was during these highway runs? I have heard (depending on rear axel ratio) that both the Daytona and Superbird were able to reach speeds of 155 mph without any modifications and with a good tail wind could push 165. If there are any members that have pushed their cars to the max to see what they were able to do out on the highways please share your top end speed! Please include motor/trans info also! (Mods, Please let me know if you prefer that I start a "Top End Speed" Thread)

I don't think we were running any faster that mid 80's MPH, my typical highway cruising speed is around 75 (ish) that is right around 3600 RPM. I have probably had mine to 115 or so, but I  really have no need or desire to go that fast in the old 'Bird
Scott

Scott Faulkner