News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need one Daytona wing measurement

Started by Daytona313, August 28, 2014, 02:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona313

Test fitting my wing on my clone project and I have a 3/16" difference between the left and right from the back of the wing to end of quarter before the removable bezel.  If any Daytona owner could get me this measurement I would appreciate it. Thanks!

hemi68charger

If no one replies before I get home from work, I will..........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

DAY CLONA

This dimension always varies, car to car, wing to wing, but over the years of measuring wing fitment on Tona's it comes down to an avg of 3"  +/- 1/4"

70 sublime

How much of a gap does this leave for the trunk lid to open when it is at its closest point to the wing ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Daytona313

Thanks for the responses!

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 28, 2014, 07:21:03 AM
This dimension always varies, car to car, wing to wing, but over the years of measuring wing fitment on Tona's it comes down to an avg of 3"  +/- 1/4"

Right now I'm at 2 13/16" and  2 5/8" so I guess I'll make them both 2 13/16".

How much wider is the decal than the wing upright? Is there play with the decal placement or does the marker light not allow it to vary?

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 28, 2014, 07:47:38 AM
How much of a gap does this leave for the trunk lid to open when it is at its closest point to the wing ?

I haven't tested it with the deck lid on yet, That's next. How much gap is normal?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 28, 2014, 07:47:38 AM

Depends on who's wing your using....A Dayclona, Janek, or OEM wing will give you approx 5/8 +/- 1/4" clearance, other repro wings are up to 2" short, so you may have issues, same with the wing base, A Dayclona, Janek or OEM will be able to use stock/OEM/repro base gaskets, all the others will require you to make your own, same goes for stripe placement issues...so mock everything up before paint, otherwise you'll be back pedaling to overcome these issues

Mike

DAY CLONA

Right now I'm at 2 13/16" and  2 5/8" so I guess I'll make them both 2 13/16".
[/quote]

Sometimes (most of the time!) even with an OEM wing the bases are "off" in location, striving for perfection in the base location, may result in not being able to have the horizontal blade align with the end pieces, often resulting in one corner having a lifted/misaligned fit with the uprights roll over, so a skewed base measurement may be desired/necessary to achieve an overall better alignment of the 3 pcs, also be careful not to "pinch" in the overall width of the wings uprights at the base, the chords of the wing uprights should measure the same, top to bottom, on a correct repro wing or OEM, they are 60" apart in distance approx, top and bottom on the Tona, a lot depends on the center wing section, that should be 57 1/2" in width, but they can vary from 57 to 57 3/4" even on an OEM wing, if you can't achieve Parallel cords on the uprights, a taper on towards the top is better than a pinched taper towards the bases...measure everything   

Mike

Daytona313

Need one more measurement. Hoping someone can help. I need the smallest measurement of the side of the wing upright to the edge of the opening of the deck lid on both sides. Thanks!

A383Wing

Both of mine measure 2-1/8" from wing to trunk lip oopening.

Daytona313