News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Build.

Started by NickJ, July 20, 2014, 08:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickJ

I've finally moved from the cars wanted forum to the Charger discussion forum!  :cheers:  Just pulled the car home yesterday. Lots of work ahead but she's a solid old girl and we're going to make her sexy again! Thanks in advance for all the help! :2thumbs:

NickJ

VIN and Fender Tag Decode: If ya'll happen to see any issues with the decode please let me know. Trying to document everything that I can! Thanks!

XP29H9G103559
Code   Description
E63   383-4 Barrel
D32   H-D A-727 TorqueFlite Trans
XP29   X = Dodge Charger P = Premium 29 = 2 Door Sports Hardtop
H9G   H = 383 330HP, 9 = 1969, G = St. Louis, MO, USA
Sequence Number '103559'
A4   Paint Code: Silver Metallic
C6X   Interior Trim - Black Vinyl: seat color carpet door panel, instrument panel, headliner
X9    Black Int Door frames
808   Build Date Aug 08, 1968
Order Number: 087552
A01   Light Package
A04   Basic (Radio) Group
B51   Power Assisted Brakes
C16   Console w/wood grain panel
C55   Bucket Seats
G33   Left Hand Outside Mirror - Remote / Chrome
J25   3 Speed Variable Wipers
M21   Roof Drip Rail Moldings
M31   Belt Molding 69-70
N85   Tachometer
R11   Music Master Radio AM
V1X   Full Vinyl Top - Black

73rallye440magnum

Looked pretty solid in the craigslist ad. Nice work.

:coolgleamA:
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Baldwinvette77

Ghoste

Very nice and congratulations, even rough she's sexy and you can't go wrong with silver. ;)  I'll add it to the 69 Registry.

bakerhillpins

Congratulations!  :cheers:

Good looking car and great color!  Those Cragars look really shiny. Did they come with the car or did you bring them with you to get it on the trailer?

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Ghoste

Oh, and welcome to the group!  :wave:  (as a participant that is)

terrible one

Beautiful! It really looks like a good starting point from here, congrats!

NickJ

Thanks everyone. Really excited to have her home and start work. To answer the question about the Cragars.. They were already on the car and need a bit of polishing but otherwise looked good.
Now onto my first question (of many I'm sure). Any suggestions on where to start? The motor and tranny are out so I'm leaning towards brakes and suspension, fuel lines etc.. Things much easier with less stuff in the way. Is that a good place or would I be better off rebuilding the motor and trans first?  Thanks!

NickJ

Quote from: Ghoste on July 20, 2014, 09:25:56 AM
Very nice and congratulations, even rough she's sexy and you can't go wrong with silver. ;)  I'll add it to the 69 Registry.

Is the 69 Registry still online?

Ghoste

I've been back and forth with a host this past week as a matter of fact so shortly.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: NickJ on July 20, 2014, 11:46:33 AM
Thanks everyone. Really excited to have her home and start work. To answer the question about the Cragars.. They were already on the car and need a bit of polishing but otherwise looked good.
Now onto my first question (of many I'm sure). Any suggestions on where to start? The motor and tranny are out so I'm leaning towards brakes and suspension, fuel lines etc.. Things much easier with less stuff in the way. Is that a good place or would I be better off rebuilding the motor and trans first?  Thanks!

What do you know about the motor/trans? Have you heard them run, what did the PO have to say? How much $$ you got left? A motor rebuild is probably going to run you a lot more than freshening up the suspension and the brake systems. Which I say would be MUCH easier with the engine/trans out.

For me, if the block/trans are in serviceable order I would go with the suspension/brakes first.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

NickJ

According to PO the motor and trans were both running when they came out and the motor turns freely. I plan on doing the basics regardless and then doing a big build a little later. I definitely think brakes and suspension will be my first project. So much easier with no drivetrain.

Mopar Nut

Are you going with disc brakes all around?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

NickJ

Definitely the front. Haven't decided on the rears yet. Any advice on kits? Seem to be a wide price range on em.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: NickJ on July 20, 2014, 06:59:24 PM
Definitely the front. Haven't decided on the rears yet. Any advice on kits? Seem to be a wide price range on em.
Really depends on what size wheels, some of the newer kits will not fit 15" wheels or smaller. My front Baer brake kit that would fit 15" wheels was discontinued. Might try Dr. Diff (Cass), great guy and very knowledgeable on Mopar's.   
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tan top

:2thumbs:  congratulations ,  !!   looking forward to seeing more pictures as you progress  :cheers: :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

NickJ

Quick questions fellas. I'm picking up some interior parts next week and want to clean what I have beforehand so I can really figure out what needs replaced. Any suggestions on a good vinyl cleaner? It's filthy but mostly intact and I don't want to destroy what I already have. Thanks!

N.

1965gp

My 68 LeMans interior was covered in mold when I got it. I used simple green and rags (not brushes) to clean the majority of the crap off. Did that a few times and did not experience any fading.

If you have dirt in the grain of the vinyl you can gently use a very soft brush.

Then get some tire foam (black magic or something) and soak the pieces. Let the foam sit on there for a little while (couple hours) then was with simple green again to get the residue off. The foam will bring the color back.

Finally use whatever vinyl protectant you prefer on the cleaned item.

NickJ

Thanks 65! Just what I needed. Had some simple green but was worried about bleaching the color out.

NickJ

UPDATE 1:

I've met some really great guys lately. Seems that the Charger family is deep and full of genuinely nice people. First I linked up with the owner of a beautiful 66 Charger. He volunteered to help weld in my new trunk pans.. Score!  Next I met another awesome guy with a sweet ass 70. He had a ton of parts laying around so I picked up a new vinyl top, carpet, headliner, and 2 piece trunk pans all brand new for $400!  :cheers:  Heading down to his place next weekend to pick through the other odds and ends he has. I have to say that this community we all belong to is truly amazing and I appreciate everyone's help so far. Great advice, great people!  :2thumbs:

Sincerely
N.

Cncguy

Awesome find. I believe G33 is a remote mirror

NickJ

Update #2

Interior is out and the floors are solid!  :cheers:  I only found 2 pin holes (one driver's side, 1 Passenger side) Otherwise they looked great.  The absolutely ancient Almond Joy wrapper was a nice little bonus.

fy469rtse

Great car to start with :2thumbs: keep posting and updating us   :popcrn: :popcrn:

NickJ

Successfully separated the engine and Trans.. Motor is up on the stand and first round of parts ordered. Need to do a little garage cleanup today. Parts Everywhere!