News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Build.

Started by NickJ, July 20, 2014, 08:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

v21hemicharger

Nice Score.  Not sure what your work space is like but if it's a two car garage you need to have good plans to keep things organized.  Here's how I would tackle it.  I would start with the under hood stuff. Take off one item at a time and restore it.  Battery tray, brake booster? M/C.  brake lines wiper motor, wiring etc.  Clean the bolts and tape to restored piece.  As you take them off put in a plastic tote.  Keep a list of parts needed to order and buy when you have a nice order or hit the shows to save shipping.  Once the under hood is all restored, pull the front clip.  You can clean up the motor, blast exhaust manifolds, change intake, and I would add aluminum water pump and housing.  While there change the timing chain and add a cam if you want.  Once the front end is off, clean and sand engine compartment and paint.  Re=install all your restored parts.  Pull the k-member and suspension and blast and rebuild it.  If you think you want to handle like mine, get a reinforcement kit from firm feel for the kmember and weld it in while you have it out.  Use rock auto for Moog suspension parts.  Rebuild the trans yourself.  It's pretty easy, just get a service manual.  In fact that would be item 1, service manual.  Don't know your skill set but start sanding the fenders and hood after a good pressure wash or have them media blasted or dipped.  Same with grille support and bumper breackets.  Once engine compartment is painted, suspension rebuilt and engine cleaned up and tranny rebuilt, put them all together andput the in from the bottom.

Get an angle grinder with wire cup brush and got to work on floor pans and epoxy prime them.  Save up for or clean door panels and dash stuff.  But don't be taking all that apart till motor is back in and running so you can go for a little ride.  Sand and epoxy the roof.  I would get a long peice of pvc and roll the headliner and vinyl top on them to start getting the wrinkles out now.  Make sure you put vinyl top on before headliner so emblems can go on. 

I could go on, but thats how I would start this project.  BTW nice avatar, I'm honored.  Mike

Benji

Mike,

Wow it sounds to me like you have done this before. An excellent plan to follow.

Benji

NickJ

Mike,
   Thank you for all the tips! I've started some of that already. Spent most of yesterday cleaning the garage (2 car) and cataloging the parts I've removed so far. I ordered some POR-15 and will start cleaning and grinding parts in the next week or so. It's going to be a long road ahead but I'm really excited to finally have a Charger.

As for the avatar.. If that's yours I'm truly jealous. The first day I brought mine home I was googling pictures of Silver/Gray Chargers for a direction to go and yours was by far the nicest I saw!  :cheers:

Nick

NickJ

Latest Pic... Getting ready for the pressure washer.

Hers and His   

PlainfieldCharger

Nice find on your car. How about Silver and red :cheers:

NickJ

That's gorgeous. Is that the A4 silver? That's my paint code but mine is so faded it almost looks greenish gray. Was curious as to what it was supposed to look like   

PlainfieldCharger

It is a AA1 Silver. It is actually a stock Mitsubishi color from abut 2004. When its time for a repaint I will be going with the same color. I likes it allot. :icon_smile_big:

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

NickJ

Thanks Everyone!  Some good books showed up at the house today.. We're really cookin now!  :2thumbs:

v21hemicharger

NickJ

Welder and accessories, POR-15, and lots of goodies showed up today. Time to really get to work! :cheers:

ChargerSG

Go for it, and we all love pictures... :cheers:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

ionracer24

Gotta luv old cragars on a charger....... :icon_smile_cool:
Real race cars have three pedals......

NickJ

Just got back from a Dallas parts run. Ton of great stuff! Cooking with gas now!  :2thumbs:

NickJ

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

phantom

Great looking project, good luck with it :)

bill440rt

Excellent! Welcome to DC.com!!

Another builder thread, my favorite! Looks like a really solid starting point, should be nice when done.
Are you keeping the original color combo? Modified?  :popcrn:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NickJ

I think I'm going to go modified.. Still silver but slightly darker and I'm still on the fence about the vinyl top. I think the black/silver would look great but I'm leary of putting vinyl back on her.  In other news, worked a little rust removal today and inventoried a bunch of parts. Going to start cutting and prepping the new pans next.

NickJ

Not much new to report.. The In-Laws are in town and screwing up my schedule..LOL   Did manage to strip the headliner bows, door panels, and vacuum up a lot more insulation, dirt, and rat turds. Also stripped all the wiring back to the dash. Going to start cutting and prepping for the new trunk floor. Hopefully ready to install by next weekend. Pans and extensions are in, crossmember due Friday.  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

It's great when big boxes of goodies show up at your door.  :woohoo:

Question: What's that long flat bar of steel with the bolts going thru it for at the kick up area on your trunk floor?  :scope:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Wicked72

M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

NickJ

That flat bar was the previous owners attempt to reinforce the rear crossmember which had started to rust badly. It'll be going away when I do the floor/extensions/crossmember combo.

NickJ

Diff out.. Only a few stray exhaust brackets to remove and then I can start cutting out the rusty trunk floor. Found out the rear end isn't a sure grip. The question now is whether to keep it for now or just leave it out until I find a Dana or an 8 3/4 Sure Grip...Hmmmmm  :scratchchin:

NickJ

Started cutting out the trunk today. Didn't get as much done as I would have liked but we're makin progress.  :cheers: