News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Build.

Started by NickJ, July 20, 2014, 08:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pmike

Nice project! Isn't it quite easy to add a sure-grip to an open 8 3/4 rear?

.. Infact if I google "add sure grip to existing  8 3/4", it does seem I remembered right..

NickJ

Yes, it's just a 3rd member swap. Was hoping it was already a Sure Grip. Easier and cheaper that way.  :icon_smile_big:

NickJ

Managed to get the rest of the trunk floor out today although I still need to tackle those damn extensions. I truly feel for you guys that have to do entire floors.. If I see another spot weld I'm going to go crazy!

Stevearino

Everything looks pretty solid. From what I have seen on restoration threads on this site there is isually some work to be done around the base of the wheel tubs. That area looks pretty good.

NickJ

Yeah, They're not too bad. Probably going to replace the bottom 1" or so to be safe.

NickJ

More cutting today. Rotten chunk of quarter and right side trunk extension. Also, managed to clean up the pans for primer. We're getting there. Slow but sure... :2thumbs:

NickJ

Left side extension out today and started grinding spot welds off the frame rails. Hoping to finish cutting and grinding this weekend then weld thru primer and POR-15 next in preparation for welding... We're getting there!  :2thumbs:

NickJ

Finished cutting today. Got a lot of my grinding done and test fitted the pans. Still a little more prep to do including weldable primer and POR-15 but I think they'll be done in about 2 weekends.. Damn job, wish I had more time to work on my girl!  :cheers:

BIGBLCK11

:2thumbs: Great job!  It's coming along. 

NickJ

Hey All,
   Started a restoration page on Facebook if anyone is interested. I'll still be posting updates here since DC.Com is the best resource on the net!

Nick
https://www.facebook.com/Rowdy69Charger

Hemidog

fy469rtse

:popcrn: lots of work getting done very quickly , pace your self , dont burn out too early.
:2thumbs: walk away when you get frustrated, great car to start with :2thumbs:

NickJ

Thank you!  I'm trying my best to pace myself. I think after I get the trunk floor in I'm going to take a break. Maybe inventory parts and relax for a bit. I'm sure the wife would appreciate it too.  :icon_smile_big:

six-tee-nine

Just a tip : I blasted and epoxy primered the top of the trunk (I mean the underside of the deck filler panel) trough the floor when the trunk floor was out of the way.
I also removed the goop from the quarters with a torch and a putty knife before putting in the new floor.
its alot easier to acces that way.

I went trough this myself earlier this year (also did my lower valance along with the end caps and lower quarter patches).

Its alot of fitting and tweaking but when its in place and you spray the primer on you will feel pretty satisfied.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

bill440rt

Doing a fine job there!  :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

NickJ

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips... I've been thinking about it alot since I got the cutting done and I think I'm going to throw the Diff back under her so I can push her out and pressure wash, prep, and prime the whole trunk up to the package tray before welding. Definitely think you're right and it'll be much easier with no floor.   :2thumbs:

Ghoste

You've come a long way in a short time, nice work!

six-tee-nine

Maybe you should build yourself a pair of these body carriers (can Always buy them from US Cartool)
Much easier then putting the leafs and axle under the car

http://store.uscartool.com/mopar-car-moving-wheel-set.html

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

NickJ

Ronda is back on all 4s in preparation for her bath. Did about 6 hours worth of cutting and grinding today. Should only be a wee bit more than we can clean and prime for welding!  I'm really excited to get these pans in. The first major project is almost complete... Woo Hoo!  :cheers:

Nick

NickJ

Got about 3/4 of the way through mock up. She's coming along nicely.  :cheers:

Nick

keepat

Your trunk floor looks great I'm about to tackle the same project in a few weeks. Good luck and keep the pictures coming!
Pat

six-tee-nine

fits nice  :2thumbs:

Before you tack it in place, make sure to open the hole for the gas filler tube. Its much easier to cut and carfully grind the egdes with the floorpan on the table then in the car with you feet up in the air hanging out of the trunk.

Dino

Quote from: six-tee-nine on September 01, 2014, 06:35:11 AM
fits nice  :2thumbs:

Before you tack it in place, make sure to open the hole for the gas filler tube. Its much easier to cut and carfully grind the egdes with the floorpan on the table then in the car with you feet up in the air hanging out of the trunk.

It sounds like you found that out the hard way.   :icon_smile_big:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NickJ

Speaking of the holes in the trunk. I had a question I'd like some opinions on. I made a deal with the wife that I'd push the charger into the driveway for the winter (covered of course) so that she could use the garage. Would it be better to leave the pan intact till spring or do you think those holes won't matter?

Thanks!
Nick

Ghoste

I'd leave it.  I don't know why, it's just what I would do. :shruggy: