News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric fuel pump locations.....

Started by 1974dodgecharger, August 16, 2014, 10:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1974dodgecharger

I need some ideas on where to install a electric fuel pump, might be going that route with the blue holley.  I have a 3/8 line with 1/4 return with fuel evaporator setup currently.

moparguy01

stock tank or fuel cell? you need to mount it close to the tank but lower. I've seen them on the inside of the frame rail before. Mine is in the trunk, but so is my fuel cell, fuel filter, batteries, etc, so that wont help you here.

1974dodgecharger

stock fuel tank....I wanted to try to mount in the hump area where shock top eyelet area is...that's above though tank.

charger1972

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 16, 2014, 11:16:37 PM
stock fuel tank....I wanted to try to mount in the hump area where shock top eyelet area is...that's above though tank.
That`s what i would say but , if you read the instructions they are supposed to be gravity fed . You risk burning it up . I have a Mallory but no tail pipes and a sump built into the tank so mounted it low .

Ghoste

Yeah, I would mount it lower than the frame kickup.

68charger440

I mounted mine on the frame in the passenger side wheel well.  It gives me easy access just by pulling off the wheel.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 17, 2014, 10:01:24 PM
I mounted mine on the frame in the passenger side wheel well.  It gives me easy access just by pulling off the wheel.

have a pic?

Reason I want to switch to electrical is because the mechanical is lazy if my car is on a hill going up. 

Ghoste

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace the mechanical?

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Ghoste on August 18, 2014, 06:30:27 AM
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to replace the mechanical?

I have a mopar performance and its 200 something bucks at Jegs and Summit...I always stick with them since it been good to me vs others.

then someone suggested electric holley..they run 100 bucks.

Ghoste

Hmm, and yet hills are making it run out of fuel?  I'd almost think there is another issue as well.  :scratchchin:

68charger440

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 18, 2014, 12:00:20 AM

have a pic?

Reason I want to switch to electrical is because the mechanical is lazy if my car is on a hill going up. 
sorry, no pics because I ended up going back to the high performance mechanical pump.  Like the others have suggested, my problem was elsewhere so the electric pump didn't fix it.  In your case I would start with doublechecking your floats.  I will say that while the electric pump worked fine, it was very noisy and drove me crazy when cruzing around.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

myk

That's where I mounted mine...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68charger440

Quote from: myk on August 18, 2014, 09:14:38 AM

Myk, do you have a pic you could post for him?  Also, is yours noisy too?  Mine was noisy enough that I could easily hear it over my 3" dual exhaust going through turbo mufflers.

HPP

On street cars, I'd take an old shock bushing, cut it in half, and use those under the mounting bolts. This helps insulate some of the racket from the pump so it doesn't sound like a woodpecker in your trunk.

myk

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 18, 2014, 09:22:33 AM
Quote from: myk on August 18, 2014, 09:14:38 AM

Myk, do you have a pic you could post for him?  Also, is yours noisy too?  Mine was noisy enough that I could easily hear it over my 3" dual exhaust going through turbo mufflers.

Dude.  I have a stock exhaust and at any, ANY speed the fuel pump is just as loud as the 440 in my engine bay.  I can't find the picture of my pump's home, but it's nothing special-it's just bolted onto the passenger side in the wheel well...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

68charger440

I tried some home made bushings also which helped some but it was still annoying as hell.  I don't know if the HP mechanical will flow enough for the track yet but for around town it seems fine on my 500 incher!

mopar0166

Tricky question, but I ended up putting it across and lower then the sending unit in the tank.  has worked great and no issues so far.  the pump I used had a bracket, all I had to do is drill the holes to mount the filter and pump.

BSB67

This is silly.

A $40 pump from anywhere will work.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

68charger440

Quote from: BSB67 on August 18, 2014, 10:12:08 AM

This is silly.

I agree that a $40 pump should work for any stock or near stock motor, so this problem on a hill is probably not related to the fuel pump.  But in my experience on a built motor the stock $40 pump just doesn't cut it.  We don't know enough about this guys particular combo though.

68charger440

I should clarify that the $40 pump doesn't cut it at the track.  Just cruising around town the stock pump keeps up fine even in many built motors.

1974dodgecharger

I can sit on a hill and it does like to idle it will die out as in fuel starvation.  I have to keep on the gas every so often.
Non stock motor 383, KB pistons, 10.5:1, 509 cam, RPM heads, 750DP, stock rockers. 
Quote from: 68charger440 on August 18, 2014, 11:08:01 AM

This is silly.

I agree that a $40 pump should work for any stock or near stock motor, so this problem on a hill is probably not related to the fuel pump.  But in my experience on a built motor the stock $40 pump just doesn't cut it.  We don't know enough about this guys particular combo though.

68charger440

Even the lowest flow mechanical fuel pump should have no problem in that scenario.  My 500" stroker has no problems in situations like that.  Have you rechecked your float levels?  Don't assume that they are still set properly.  Its worth a doublecheck.  Also when is the last time the carb was completely disassembled soaked, cleaned and rebuilt with new gaskets etc?

Ghoste

Yeah, the fuel demands would not be real high at idle, there must be some other issue the hill is just illuminating for you.

mopar0166

Actually no a 40 dollar pump first should not be used, don't be so cheap.  second of all, yes you will gain better performance the less the fuel pump will have to work to get fuel up to a motor, thus it needs to be close to the tank and lower then the fill neck or fuel outlet. 

If you like crappy results and just want to piddle down the road then don't worry about what I said. 

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone but the statements are crazy if you want performance from an electric fuel pump.

68charger440

Quote from: mopar0166 on August 20, 2014, 08:44:39 AM
Actually no a 40 dollar pump first should not be used, don't be so cheap.  second of all, yes you will gain better performance the less the fuel pump will have to work to get fuel up to a motor, thus it needs to be close to the tank and lower then the fill neck or fuel outlet. 

If you like crappy results and just want to piddle down the road then don't worry about what I said. 

Hopefully this doesn't offend anyone but the statements are crazy if you want performance from an electric fuel pump.
Ma Mopar made millions of cars with those cheap $40 pumps, so for a stock application they perform very well and are reliable.  Modified motors are another story, but this thread is about a problem where just idling on a hill the car acts like it is starved for fuel, and not about performance under heavy load. That should not be a problem for any mechanical fuel pump.  The cure for that problem is most likely in the carb and not the fuel pump IMO.

firefighter3931

If you guys are looking for a good mechanical pump the Carter 120GPH (6 psi) street pump is an excellent choice. I've used several of these over the years. Last one was on my old 446 (535hp/540tq) that ran 11.60's @ 4100 raceweight.  :2thumbs:

Mancini has the exclusive rights to this pump so if you want one you'll have to get it from them :

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/cabheen5psis.html

As for electric pumps....they work best when mounted at the same level or below the tank. Venting is also very important as well.  ;)

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

charger1972

As far as electric pumps being noisy , I have all ways ran Holley pumps  and yeah they are pretty loud . Ron recommended the Mallory I have now and is WAY quieter .

BSB67

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on August 18, 2014, 09:02:50 PM
I can sit on a hill and it does like to idle it will die out as in fuel starvation.  I have to keep on the gas every so often.
Non stock motor 383, KB pistons, 10.5:1, 509 cam, RPM heads, 750DP, stock rockers.  
Quote from: 68charger440 on August 18, 2014, 11:08:01 AM

This is silly.

I agree that a $40 pump should work for any stock or near stock motor, so this problem on a hill is probably not related to the fuel pump.  But in my experience on a built motor the stock $40 pump just doesn't cut it.  We don't know enough about this guys particular combo though.

You just confirmed it.  Not the pump.  I recommend finding the problem and fixing that instead.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

68charger440

Quote from: charger1972 on August 20, 2014, 05:59:09 PM
As far as electric pumps being noisy , I have all ways ran Holley pumps  and yeah they are pretty loud . Ron recommended the Mallory I have now and is WAY quieter .
I have the high performance mechanical on mine right now and it seems to work fine on the street.  (So far at least)  But I am interested to see if it keeps up on the track.  That will probably be next year though.
I thought about leaving the Holley electric pump in line with the mechanical and just powering it up when I go to the track.  Don't know if that will cause any problems.  I did it with a motor home years ago and never had problems with it.

Charger-Bodie

I just installed a mallory electric 110 on my 69 . Mounted it to the floor ahead of the dana 60. Not too bad for noise either. Not like the holley ones I've had.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

68charger440

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on August 20, 2014, 08:31:50 PM
I just installed a mallory electric 110 on my 69 . Mounted it to the floor ahead of the dana 60. Not too bad for noise either. Not like the holley ones I've had.
Well if I have to go back to the electric Maybe I'll give the Mallory a shot.  My holey sounds like a jackhammer and it takes some of the fun out of just cruising around.

mhinders

It was a bit of work to squeeze all this in through the original tank hole, but it's a quiet and nice assembly.
When I buy a new gas tank it will be just a drop-in in the new tank.
Martin
Dodge Charger 1967, 512 cui, E85, MegaSquirt MS3X sequential ignition and injection

tan top

Quote from: mhinders on August 21, 2014, 06:48:53 AM
It was a bit of work to squeeze all this in through the original tank hole, but it's a quiet and nice assembly.
When I buy a new gas tank it will be just a drop-in in the new tank.

that's clever  :yesnod: :2thumbs:  ... :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1974dodgecharger

It is a carb built in 63 lol, i rebuilt it but a carb that old, lol......well.

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 20, 2014, 09:19:17 AM
Quote from: mopar0166 on August 20, 2014, 08:44:39 AM

Ma Mopar made millions of cars with those cheap $40 pumps, so for a stock application they perform very well and are reliable.  Modified motors are another story, but this thread is about a problem where just idling on a hill the car acts like it is starved for fuel, and not about performance under heavy load. That should not be a problem for any mechanical fuel pump.  The cure for that problem is most likely in the carb and not the fuel pump IMO.

Ghoste

68charger440

Have you double checked your floats yet?  I really think that is a good free  :D place to start.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: 68charger440 on August 22, 2014, 09:11:47 AM
Have you double checked your floats yet?  I really think that is a good free  :D place to start.

yeah I checked them and its a 750DP.