News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Strange stuff going on - front suspension

Started by andben, August 20, 2014, 02:29:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

don duick

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 08, 2014, 04:29:27 PM
If your LCA bushings were that wrecked then you really should check the LCA mounting tube in the K-frame itself.  They are known to metal-fatigue their way loose from the sidewalls of the K. 

yep I did that,  thanks for the advice.

Tom Q

Also remember these cars have massive bumpsteer issues.  So you are compounding the toe issue with any change in ride height.  Even if the car settles a bit after you set the toe, you could see a significant change.  
[/quote]  :ahum:

What data do you have to prove this???  My real world experience proves otherwise. Try a 1970 Charger R/T that runs hot road course laps and eats SRT 8 challengers using .98 torsion bars and hemi leaf springs. No tricks just common sense that is not common anymore.  I would post a pic but I already have before.  Oh yeah and don't forget a former ride - 1970 AAR Cuda that would run 130 mph on the back straight and run 2.5 min laps.....massive bump steer...not.  Street cars not race cars btw.  Massive bump steer   :rofl:

As usual bad advice on a thread.  1st place to examine is the lower control arm bushing and the pin where it goes thru the k frame.
Then examine the k frame to ensure the sleeve has not cracked in the k frame.  Next take the car to some one that understands these suspensions, not the internet.

Kern Dog

As usual, Tom Quad makes sense but uses a hammer to make his point.
Just a guess, but I figure that you don't make a living dealing directly with people, do you Tom?    :smilielol:

TylerCharger69

Not saying this is the problem, but a buddy of mine has a 70 Charger. Originally a 318 car, now a 440. Alignments would not hold. He had the same symptoms. Come to find out, the "K" frame, where the lower control arms bolt to, were cracked and wallowed out really bad. It can be fixed, but he just replaced the "K" frame instead. It's hard to see unless the car is up on stands or in the air. If it needs to be repaired, "K" frame has to come off to fix it properly. 

1974dodgecharger

then what's the point of the internet then?  My bump steer happened when I used a wide rear tire and a narrower front, but if one was using same size front and rears the bump steer is not noticeable at all.  With my current setup 295s rears and 245s fronts yes the bump steer is very scary on the highway it makes you want to hit the car next to you.

So Tom where is your 1970 charger at so the person can test drive it so he/she can copy your setup?

Tom Q

don't like the hammer?? too bad.  :brickwall:
the bad advice/opinions given far exceeds and good advice/info.
people have computers and can't save anything
just look at the six pak  posts

1974dodgecharger