News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Road Trip to Alaska-Coffee Table Book Finally Done-thanks Cody Cole!

Started by taxspeaker, August 24, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

I should be in bed but I can't sleep thanks to this odd cold my family gave me at Christmas...

What are the date codes on your 5 tires?  Not tread life, but when they actually popped out of the mold.  It's molded into the sidewall of the tires, as shown here:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11
Tires should be no more than 5 years old according to just about every manufacturer under the sun.  Obviously I don't buy new tires on that schedule for our wing cars but they're not THAT much older and I'll think about ponying up for a new set before going to Talladega next time. 

Next, post up what tools and diagnostic equipment you plan on taking.  A number of us have road trip tool sets and I even have a wing car road trip toolbox with common crap in it.  Examples:  Caliper slide pin, 4' length of wire with alligator clips on each end to bypass the entire electrical system and power the coil directly, a butane powered soldering iron, a spare spark plug and coil wire, turn signal flasher, fusible link, cotter pins, zip ties, 4-5 different sealants and loctites, spare bulbs, etc.

Seriously consider one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/PowerAll-PBJS12000-R-All-In-One-Battery-Starter/dp/B00KSG4NGI
I bought one last month at the MCACN show for like $85 as I'd heard good things about it.  I work at a dealership, and I've already used it to jump start three cars.  Unreal for something that can fit in your pocket.  If you've got a funky alternator you can unplug the regulator and run the ignition system from this, so it can save you from being stranded.  It'll charge your mobile devices like nothing, too--there are two USB ports in the side of it.

I'd also STRONGLY suggest another center section with 2.76 or 2.94 gears in it.  Cruising speed will still be well above converter stall, and the reduced strain on the engine is good for both you and your car.  It's MUCH quieter inside with a lot less vibration.  Besides, an 8 3/4 center section takes all of an hour or two to replace...get an entire carrier and be done with it.

What do you plan on for entertainment?  Books on tape/CD/MP3 make the miles go by a lot better.  I've worn a pair of sound blocking earbuds (I paid like $80 for mine) and that also cuts down on the fatigue. 

Another dumb item--a small spray bottle of water.  You could mist down a hot radiator or something, but it also works great on cooling your legs and arms while driving.  You're going pretty far north but stop and go isn't any more fun on your black buckets than it is on mine.

If your car looks as nice in person as it does in pictures, talk to a local tint shop or detailer about having the front end covered with a clear bra.  It's a big, clear sticker that protects you from stone chips.  Since a 'bird nose is a rather simple shape you shouldn't have to pay more than like $500 to get it covered up to/past the hood extension line.  Ask for spare pieces and run them along the edges of your wheelwells and at the fronts of the rockers and quarter panels. 

How old is your trunk seal?  If you drive with the windows up and the vent open you can backdraft exhaust through a leaky one.

What did you decide to do with the brake calipers?  If you're fairly certain they're the originals, park them on a shelf and get reman ones.  I got a set through NAPA and they came coated in black, had new pins, and looked really nice.  Change those, and for $5 worth of piece of mind take a caliper seal kit with you.  You also mentioned DOT 4 brake fluid--did you mean that or DOT 5 silicone fluid?  DOT 4 is backward compatible to 3, but silicone is its own monster.

OK I'm more tired now  :lol:

Doug

The70RT

I agree with others about changing the gear, no reason not to, you will save on fuel and be able to recoup your money that way.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

winged69

I am one of the Canadian guys up in Saskatoon Sask Canada. If the route you are chosing I think you would go Minneapolis to Minot North Dakota entering Canada at North Portal Sask. It is a 24 hour port for entry into Canada. Then I suggest continuing on through Estevan Sask, Weyburn Sask ,Regina Sask and then to Saskatoon Sask. I have 3 Wingcars and would love to hook up with you in my city of Saskatoon. From Saskatoon then I suspect you will proceed to EdmontonAlberta.If in Saskatchewan I can probably get assisstance for you from local mopar guys if you need.

I might be able to get a few mopar guys together for an evening in Saskatoon. At present I have no idea of shows on your route through Canada.

Now for past experience here in Canada and North Dakota. Put a bug screen, not against the radiator , but mount it to the attachment bolts for the front grill intakes.North Dakota beween fargo and Minot have lots of little black bugs and these will completely change the color of your car to brown fuzzy. In sask we have a run on grasshoppers, so having screen in front keeps them out of the rad area.

To protect the nosecone use spray "Pam" no stick as it will help keep the bugs from drying on your paint. It is greasy but will washoff. Last to help in a pinch take some of the shrink wrap used for palletizing goods for transport. It will help protect in an emergency where roads are bad and rocks come flying.

PLease contact me and let me know your times through Saskatoon sask. My home phone is 306-242-0767(Kelvin Jones). I would like to meet you and see your car with 1 or 2 of my wingcars. 

Regards Kelvin

taxspeaker

Update, answers and pictures

Ok thanks for suggestions.
Tires were made 31st week of 2012, so good shape there.
I ordered and have received the all in one battery starter-excellent recommendation
Suggestion noted but not taken on rear end. I want to be as close to the way it was 45 years ago as possible, rear end and all so will stick with the 3:55
Brake calipers rebuilt and in good shape
Awaiting dash return from Dave Patek as final step, then ready for test run after new battery
I am trying to find a body shop for the clear bra, no one seems to do them around here, so I may have to resort to the self-applied cans
All the rubber and seals seem good, pliable and sealing.

Once we do the test trip in February I will know about any other issues.

As far as Saskatoon-right now our trip out will be south of that, possibly hitting it on the way home.
The GoPro mount for the tail wing is done. I have posted a cutout and a complete picture below. Should get one up in the next day or so of it mounted on wing. My son Ryan designed and made it with his 3d printer business after numerous modifications.

More to come in a few weeks after road trip.

taxspeaker

Here are front, rear and side views of camera mount. The Go Pro will fit in the front with a clear overlay, and lift out at night. Room in the mount for extended battery pack.

Redmanf1

If you are concerned about using the original cig lighter I would run a wire direct from the battery with a resettable fuse to a plug in 12v items.

1970Moparmann

If you don't want to do the Clear Bra, you can just use clear (or white) Plasti-dip.   You can remove it after the trip very easiely.  :Twocents:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

gtx6970

Take it to any vinyl and/or sign shop and have a clear or white wrap put on the nose .
It'll  peel back off with no paint issues later on .

enjoy the trip ,,still wish I was riding along

taxspeaker

Update March 9
www.superbirdnorth.om

First let me sincerely thank everyone for the many comments you have made so far. I may not take every suggestion, but I read and consider them but more importantly appreciate them and this board. Thanks guys!

All mechanicals are now completed

Work schedule has held up gauge reinstallation but it will be done by the end of March-my work travel ends for a few weeks on March 25-the gauges are done and ready just not back in and I don't trust anybody but myself on that wiring. I have the driver bucket seat out and even an older guy like me can lay on his back for a couple of hours for the gauges. It just takes a little longer!

Our test road trip is scheduled for the first good weather day around March 30. We will be in full road trip mode with cameras, boxes of tools & parts everything as if going on to Alaska

We have made a slight travel itinerary change-in Midwest but nothing significant it will be on the website soon

The website will be updated (web lady says!) by April 15 allowing me to post blog, pictures, offer shirts & hats, interactive map and allow people to post their own comments and bring it up to date on the intinerary.

Of course being a checklist guy from my job, we have developed an "on the road" checklist for the trip, please feel free to comment:
Every day we will
-Note the starting time, mileage, city and comments on hotel/campground and people encountered
-Every stop we will note the location, time, mileage, cost, what occurred, significant sights or conversations
-At the end of the day we will note the time, location, mileage, etc.
-All of this will be backed up by 2 recordings-1 always on live dash cam, and 1 every taking a picture from the wing every 5 seconds. I hope to upload a log every night or so with pictures and have my son upload videos on the new website.

Here is our tentative list of items-feel free to comment, offer suggestions or whatever
Trunk Box 1-Liquids            Trunk Box 2-Parts         Trunk Box 3 Tools                                            Back seat floor Driver Box 1   
2-1 gallon 50/50 a/freeze           1 power steer belt         Lug socket and 1/2" drive with extension            Fire Extinguisher   
2-1 gallon filled water                1 altern belt                 3/8" socket set                                                    First aid kit   
6 quarts Brad Penn oil         Mopar elec ign box         Phillips-1 stub, 1 long               
Oil filter                            2 large worm clamps         Flat-1 stub, 1 long, 1 fine                                    Back Seat No Box   
2 cans brake fluid            2 medium worm clamps      Ratchet screwdriver with changeable head            Goalzero Power Unit   
1 power steering fluid            2 small worm clamps         Vise grips               
2 quarts tran fluid                      Duct tape                         Needle nose pliers               
2 tubes gasket sealer            Coil                                 Aluminum shop jack (special for the trip)               
Can of flat fix                    Ballast resistor                 Flash Light-mag                                            Front Dash   
Cable Ties                            Voltage regulator         open end wrench set                                           Solar Charger plugged in to:    
Cotter pins                    Fuses                         2 jack stands                                                                 Go Pro always on-suction mount   
                                    Electric tape                 AllNOne Battery starter                                                 GPS on left side portable mount   
                                   4 alligator clips                        
Trunk Box 4                   30' wire-12& 14 gauges                        
Shirts, caps, bumper stickers      Rubber for hose repair         Console-top                                          Back Package
Clothes & personal stuff                     twine                                         Cell Phone on portable mount                  Solar charger   
                                   mechanic wire                          Drink holder                                          Long USB extension to GPS   
                                   Electrical connectors                        
                                   Fusible link                                Passenger Seat                                          Back Wing   
                                   Extra Go Pro lucite covers             CB Radio                                                  Go Pro Mount   
                                   Wire crimps                        Small cooler                                          Go Pro 5 second camera with backpack battery   
                                   tire gauge                                Atlas               
                                                                            Checklist & Log with pen                         Console inside   
                                                                            Asstd packaged food/fruit                         1 TB Hard drive backup   
                                                                            Laptop & charger                                  Micro SD Cards   

murfman

I know you are dead set on the 3.55 gears but keep in mind the Speed limit is 85 in Montana and with 3.55 gears you will be spinning 4000 RPM. I can't imagine doing that for hours...  On the other hand getting passed by 18 wheelers and grandma in her Taurus continually wouldn't be much fun either. IJS

murfman

Back in the mid 90s I drove my bird to Columbus a few times, Carlisle and Talladega all from Chicago. I averaged 13-14 MPG at 65-70 with a 3.54 and always wanted a lower gear but with the Dana 60 it was not so easy.

Bob T

That's a fairly well rounded list.   :yesnod:

I just thought of a couple of things that could save some grief, maybe consider another spare ecu, coil, dizzy, voltage regulator, some spare leads & plugs, starter motor, alternator, gasket paper and water pump and some carb spares like needle & seat and the linkage clips
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

winged69

Based on your reference on your route to Canada. It is 15 hour drive time from Minneapolis to Saskatoon sask is 15 hours. In Rogers Minn there is the Ellingson Museum which is just west of Minneapolis. Good place to stop. In Watertown Minn just west and south of Rogers is Hooked on Classics. Might be a option even though off Hwy 15.

You are talking of entering Canada from North Dakota. If you do I think you will be coming through Saskatoon on the trip north. Keep me in mind if you are routing through Saskatoon . Kelvin

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Bob T on March 10, 2015, 02:54:06 AM
That's a fairly well rounded list.   :yesnod:

I just thought of a couple of things that could save some grief, maybe consider another spare ecu, coil, dizzy, voltage regulator, some spare leads & plugs, starter motor, alternator, gasket paper and water pump and some carb spares like needle & seat and the linkage clips

To be safe, agree....

I would also include -

-voltage meter
-temp laser
-Spare plugs
-fender cover
-duct tape
-medium pry bar (in case)

taxspeaker

Murfman thanks for the 13-14 mpg-I was hoping for 10-11 and kind of planning that way. It gives me a 200 mile range tops, and I plan on stopping every 100-150 miles for fillup and break.

After reading a couple of responses I am throwing in an extra water pump even though I just replaced it. I have 2 extras and there is plenty of room. Debating on the alternator but will probably throw one in anyway. Also added a knife and gasket material to the list-good suggestion and the knife is actually pretty critical.

I have revisited the route pretty strongly and have made this one early change. I am in Grand Rapids MI on June 22 working, I think I can get out of there by 3:30 and I no longer have to work out of Bay Harbor Michigan the next two days.it is a 1 hour drive to catch the Lake Michigan ferry over to Milwaukee and the last one leaves at 4:45 so I think I can make it. It would knock off 300 miles of brutal Chicago driving so I am going to reserve a spot on the ferry for the car and a trailer (I don't have a trailer but the car is longer than allowed!), get some good pictures on the ferry and then take it easy for the first 2 hours of the trip. Once I get into Milwaukee I will drive until dark and stop at someplace in Wisconsin or maybe the far side of Minneapolis since it will be the last super-sized city I have to deal with. Then on with the original plan.

Moparpoolman

Maybe a gas can just in case you run out.  Or if you don't want to carry fuel a new gas can and a siphon hose to use if someone stops to help. :Twocents:

Also don't know if anyone mentioned but I would check all the connections especially the main red wire at the firewall bulkhead.  Seen many poor connections there start melting/burning the plastic around it.

1970Moparmann

From Milwaukee, I would suggest looking at Madison for a hotel.   It will be about 2 hour drive.  From Madison to Woodbury (east side of St. Paul), it is a solid 4 hours from Madison going about 70.   

I drive the route all the time, so can suggest a hotel if you need.

murfman

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 12, 2015, 09:19:56 AM
Murfman thanks for the 13-14 mpg-I was hoping for 10-11 and kind of planning that way. It gives me a 200 mile range tops, and I plan on stopping every 100-150 miles for fillup and break.

After reading a couple of responses I am throwing in an extra water pump even though I just replaced it. I have 2 extras and there is plenty of room. Debating on the alternator but will probably throw one in anyway. Also added a knife and gasket material to the list-good suggestion and the knife is actually pretty critical.

I have revisited the route pretty strongly and have made this one early change. I am in Grand Rapids MI on June 22 working, I think I can get out of there by 3:30 and I no longer have to work out of Bay Harbor Michigan the next two days.it is a 1 hour drive to catch the Lake Michigan ferry over to Milwaukee and the last one leaves at 4:45 so I think I can make it. It would knock off 300 miles of brutal Chicago driving so I am going to reserve a spot on the ferry for the car and a trailer (I don't have a trailer but the car is longer than allowed!), get some good pictures on the ferry and then take it easy for the first 2 hours of the trip. Once I get into Milwaukee I will drive until dark and stop at someplace in Wisconsin or maybe the far side of Minneapolis since it will be the last super-sized city I have to deal with. Then on with the original plan.

Definitely on the Ferry... It's a fun ride, especially with a Wing car, and by all means stay away from Chicago Traffic.

Redmanf1

Sounds like it will be a great trip....... :2thumbs:

stripedelete

Quote from: murfman on March 13, 2015, 04:42:00 PM
Quote from: taxspeaker on March 12, 2015, 09:19:56 AM

Definitely on the Ferry... It's a fun ride, especially with a Wing car, and by all means stay away from Chicago Traffic.

I'd like to hear more about the ferry upon your return.  It's on my list of "Charger Trips".

taxspeaker

Need a little help please. Hagerty tells me for insurance to be good for entire trip the car must go to a couple of car shows. I have pm'd a couple of board members for help. Does anyone have a connection in Whitehorse Yukon around June 27 or 28, or anchorage thee next week?
Thanks

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 19, 2015, 09:57:12 AM
Need a little help please. Hagerty tells me for insurance to be good for entire trip the car must go to a couple of car shows. I have pm'd a couple of board members for help. Does anyone have a connection in Whitehorse Yukon around June 27 or 28, or anchorage thee next week?
Thanks

If you can't find a show, make a show...... Believe me, people will stare all day at the Superbird......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

taxspeaker

Our 250 mile road test is Tuesday March 31 At Noon. The weather is supposed to be 72 degrees and sunny.

We got everything back together and did a short 20 mile test drive Saturday, ironing out a few minor kinks, lubing the front suspension (can't believe I forgot that) and everything is now working other than the pesky fuel gauge which still tells me how much gas it feels lie telling me about rather than what's there.

We got a clear vinyl bra installed last Thursday over the nose, part of the hood and all down the sides. Other than making the flat black of the headlights glossy you cannot even tell it is there.

The first set of pictures are external shots fully loaded and ready for the 250 mile test on March 31. The external GoPro is mounted in the special bracket my son designed and printed on his 3d printer. It is extremely sturdy and well attached, yet easy to remove at night for safety, recharging and picture downloads. The camera inside the mount will take a shot every 5 seconds all day and has enough battery life and capacity for 2 full days. It has a clear plexiglass protective screen in front and I will have 2 extra clear panels. The bracket is polymer and is felt protected on the wing with a black micro-fiber cloth.

taxspeaker

Here is a shot of the wing itself from behind with the GoPro mounted, aclose up of the mounted GoPro and a close up of the mounted camera.

taxspeaker

Here is a shot of the solar panel in the rear package tray that will be used to charge the second GoPro inside the care that will be constantly filing all day. The second shot is of the always on GoPro-we mounted it on the passenger window originally as in the picture but have moved it to the vent window now to allow me to roll down the passenger window and to obstruct less view.

In one of my few relaxing of standards I removed the original wiper arms (and kept them) and put on new Bosch arms and blades.