News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Reward for my VIN, fender tag, and title

Started by typars, September 02, 2014, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

What gets me is the people in this thread that want to flame this fellow charger owner. None seem bothered by the fact that some one can sell a car in an envelope on eBay, or that someone is possibly driving around with the vin tag fender tag and title from this guys car.

I'm not saying that I think he's entitled to the stuff just because he has the shell, but I do think that this stuff all belongs together. One way or the other. How on earth you would decide which, I do not know.

But, I do think there are a few keyboard cowboys in this thread that need to reel it back in a little. There's no need to run off a brand new member over a first response opinion.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

66FBCharger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 03, 2014, 07:07:02 AM
What gets me is the people in this thread that want to flame this fellow charger owner. None seem bothered by the fact that some one can sell a car in an envelope on eBay, or that someone is possibly driving around with the vin tag fender tag and title from this guys car.

I'm not saying that I think he's entitled to the stuff just because he has the shell, but I do think that this stuff all belongs together. One way or the other. How on earth you would decide which, I do not know.

But, I do think there are a few keyboard cowboys in this thread that need to reel it back in a little. There's no need to run off a brand new member over a first response opinion.

I agree.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Ghoste

I'm not trying to run anyone off and I'm the first to criticize rebodying.  I guess I'm just trying to point out that this is what happens with this.

moparnation74

There are two sides to this story.  He will not release the other gent's name, who is supposed to be a mopar expert per se.  He claims is involved.  Which typars does not have to release that guy's name.  It is his right to do so.  However, I am curious about that parties viewpoint.  At some point the truth will come out whether it is posted or not.  Is this being posted on multiple message boards?

Let's see a pic of this 68 charger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

pmike

I guess it would be wiser not to comment, but I'll do anyway.

If I understand correctly, there is a race car, and before OP owned it, someone decided that as a race car not driven on roads it does not need a title, and sold the VIN tag and title to someone (who has probably built a car around them). I do not even mention the fender tag as that in legal sense is only a piece of metal without a value, even though it does hold much value in collectible sense.

OP has then knowingly bought a racecar (project?) without the title and VIN, and after that found out that they may exist somewhere. Now that does not seem to me that OP then has right to claim that they are "his VIN and title" or that they should be "returned to him", and threaten with FBI.

I would not think that current VIN/title holder does have any legal or moral responsibility to OP, law might be interested in forged vehicle identity or what is it called, if the VIN/title has been used, but that would not concern the current owner of the body of the car.

As Wikipedia says: "In the United States, Canada the certificate of title for a vehicle (also known as a car title or pink slip; or pinks in the plural) is a legal form, establishing a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle. "

So if the VIN/title holder does still have those items unattached and has not registered any vehicle with the title, I think he would have more legal ground to request the chassis returned to him than other way round, as someone already mentioned..

Just my few cents, as I am not a lawyer but an european you may ignore this post :) And if I was a known mopar expert I too would be very careful to comment on this kind of deal..

Ghoste

Thats essentially how I understand it too.

moparnation74

Quote from: pmike on September 03, 2014, 07:45:35 AM

If I understand correctly, there is a race car, and before OP owned it, someone decided that as a race car not driven on roads it does not need a title, and sold the VIN tag and title to someone (who has probably built a car around them). I do not even mention the fender tag as that in legal sense is only a piece of metal without a value, even though it does hold much value in collectible sense.

OP has then knowingly bought a racecar (project?) without the title and VIN, and after that found out that they may exist somewhere. Now that does not seem to me that OP then has right to claim that they are "his VIN and title" or that they should be "returned to him", and threaten with FBI.

I would not think that current VIN/title holder does have any legal or moral responsibility to OP, law might be interested in forged vehicle identity or what is it called, if the VIN/title has been used, but that would not concern the current owner of the body of the car.

As Wikipedia says: "In the United States, Canada the certificate of title for a vehicle (also known as a car title or pink slip; or pinks in the plural) is a legal form, establishing a person or business as the legal owner of a vehicle. "

So if the VIN/title holder does still have those items unattached and has not registered any vehicle with the title, I think he would have more legal ground to request the chassis returned to him than other way round, as someone already mentioned..

Just my few cents, as I am not a lawyer but an european you may ignore this post :) And if I was a known mopar expert I too would be very careful to comment on this kind of deal..

Exactly!   :popcrn:

TUFCAT

It shouldn't be very hard to spot a truly unusual Black 4-speed '68 Hemi Charger with super rare gold interior.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: moparnation74 on September 03, 2014, 07:57:54 AM
Quote from: pmike on September 03, 2014, 07:45:35 AM

Exactly!   :popcrn:

These are all valid points,but i would still like to see the car and the vin reunited . And the op may be asking for something he is not entitled to,BUT the guy who sold the docs and tags for this Hemi car (allegedly anyway) and the guy running around with a Charger claiming to be real (also allegedly) are the ones to really be in the hotseat.

And if i understand right the car was possibly decoded and inspected to pass as real by one of the guru types and that is a real problem as well.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TUFCAT

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 03, 2014, 08:07:46 AM

And if i understand right the car was possibly decoded and inspected to pass as real by one of the guru types and that is a real problem as well.

That's where I was heading.....It can't be hard to forget a Charger as unusual as this.  Somebody must know (or remember) something about the car.  We haven't heard all of the story.  

moparnation74

Quote from: TUFCAT on September 03, 2014, 08:13:51 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on September 03, 2014, 08:07:46 AM

That's where I was heading.....It can't be hard to forghet a Charger as unusual as this.  Somebody must know (or remember) something about the car.  We haven't heard all of the story.  
Typars, Let's see some pictures of this car.  I bet this car is sitting in some ultrawealthy owners garage that will never see the street/light of day or it is overseas.

Old Moparz

Quote from: Ghoste on September 03, 2014, 07:19:21 AM
I'm not trying to run anyone off and I'm the first to criticize rebodying.  I guess I'm just trying to point out that this is what happens with this.

Same here, VIN tag swaps are illegal, & with good reason. Some people don't see any problem with doing it & like to call this process a "re-body" to soften the description of something that is simply against the law. We all here the same stories of how nobody is into it for monetary gains because they are "keeping the car forever" & will "never sell it" but the reality of it this is that it's impossible to predict the future. Somewhere along the line the car will be sold, or given to a family member, maybe inherited or even auctioned off by an estate sale. Some potential buyer will see the VIN tag for a Hemi car, slip in their own drool, wipe themselves off & flip it for a huge profit whether they know it's fake or not.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

DAY CLONA

wingcar

I'll leave the legal discussion to those that have a better understanding of the law as it concerns VIN Tags and Titles.  But, I really hope he has a bill of sale for the "race car" as it would seem as if the owner of the "Tags and Documentation" could come forward and claim that the car was stolen from him and since he has documentation....it would seem that he could take the car as legal owner.  (That's from my two semesters of Law School).....LOL

Bottomline is when you buy a race car with no VIN tag, the assumption is that the car will never return to the streets.   It's been over ten years since the tags and the car were separated (if not longer) so the odds of even bring them together is highly unlikely.

"Envelope Cars" and rebodying were really big years ago...not surprisingly about the same time Mopar prices started skyrocketing. It's wasn't that hard to "make a HEMI car" and sell it to someone that didn't do his homework.  That's always been the "down" side to clone cars since after they passed through several owners, the true story gets clouded.  I have a 318 Charger that I have built into a Daytona...it now has a 440, Dana rear, etc.  I never pass it off as an original, but after I am long gone....will a future owner try and pass it off as an original?  Yes, the VIN clearly states what it was built as....but with the right documentation (and new VIN), and a quick talker, along with someone with more money than brains....well you can see the issue.   *Just my Two cents :Twocents: and change....

Good luck, but I wouldn't hold out much hope....just remember, they never found the original James Bond Aston Martin DB-5 from Goldfinger.....it's more than likely in a private collection never to see the light of day...until....
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

Cncguy

Ghoste

JB400

Pieces of it are scattered all over the country.  Someone is trying to rebuild it

http://jamesdean550.com/

68X426

Quote from: Cncguy on September 03, 2014, 10:40:59 AM
Quote from: Ghoste on September 03, 2014, 09:57:02 AM
Actually they did find the Bond car.

Ok! What about James Deans spyder?

Nothing is missing.  I can see the VIN plate on it.  :D

Now, back to the Hemi Charger.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

wingcar

Quote from: Ghoste on September 03, 2014, 09:57:02 AM
Actually they did find the Bond car.

Are you sure it was the stolen one?  There were several built.  (I had heard they finally find it...good if that is the case)

As for the Dean Spyder....it disappeared while on a road show with the CHP, if I remember the story correctly.  It seems as if the car has a lot of "Bad luck" connected to it while on display.  I am not sure I would want to rebuild it.....if it could be rebuilt....

wingcar

Perhaps someone should "Rebody" the Dean car...................sorry couldn't help myself.

I still think typars is on a lost cause, but I do wish him the best of luck, I wouldn't hold out much hope...

Ghoste

Yes, there were a few built but only one DB5 had screen time and it was found.  Has already disappeared into a collectors vault.

6bblgt

I don't think the OP is "claiming" the tags are his, he purchased a tag/title/document-LESS race car intentionally - which is probably illegal in most states either on the part of the seller or buyer or both. & on the flip side, the person in possession of the tags/title/documentation has NO claim to the body as he knowingly purchased the documentation w/o a body.

What he is doing is offering a "bounty" on the missing tags/title/documentation that he has become aware of the existence of.  IMO the "bounty" is a little light, but one has to start somewhere.

What he did do is "out" XS29J8B370074 & the value of the car (if there is one) wearing those tags.  Maybe it's a stalled project that someone will bail on now that some additional facts have come to light.  :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Quote from: 6bblgt on September 03, 2014, 11:26:42 AM
What he did do is "out" XS29J8B370074 & the value of the car (if there is one) wearing those tags.  Maybe it's a stalled project that someone will bail on now that some additional facts have come to light.  :shruggy:

6bbl, on page 1 we got the impression XS29J8B370074 was already built into a car, and recently inspected by an un-named mopar guru.  OP doesn't know if the VIN has been registered at this time.  I'm sure there's more, but for whatever reason we're not getting the rest of the story.....    

Quote from: typars on September 02, 2014, 03:52:16 PM
We shall soon find out about that. A friend has his FBI buddy looking in to it. If its registered we will find it. Another thing leading me to believe that someone has cloned it is a certain so called expert refuses to talk about the car. Go figure.

Drache

Selling just a VIN plate and a fender tag is one thing, people can collect them. Selling them with a TITLE though seems to show something was fishy and there is most likely a car out there that is cloned using these documents.   :shruggy:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire