News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My #71 K&K Daytona race tribute

Started by Indygenerallee, September 04, 2014, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike DC

QuoteGet out yer Dukes tapes and see how they do it
QuoteI am sure everyone would be rolling on the floor watching me get in it!!

Would you do any worse than "Coy Duke" did during the audition process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7EefnfSIYg

Indygenerallee

:lol: :smilielol: Mike, I will take it a bit slower! been a minute since I have seen that video!  :2thumbs:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Indygenerallee

Also bought 5 bags of black diamond blasting abrasive today at tractor supply company, really nice stuff if anyone uses a sand blaster paid $7.00 for a 50 lbs. bag
I blasted the driver rear frame rail (had light surface rust) then sprayed it with epoxy primer. Need to build a small booth around the car with plastic so I can blast the back half of the Charger and floor and inner roof. then put it in Epoxy and go ahead and weld in the trunk pan,and quarters in for good!! Need to switch the abrasive I have in my sand blasting cabinet for this black diamond coal slag!

Highbanked Hauler

You could always leave the top door bar out . With mine I am thinking of using straight bars just a few inches higher than the seat cushion unless something turns up where you can get  track time in the future :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, yeah I think I am just going to run with the doors welded to the cage, I pulled all the door glass and vent windows out today and installed the doors back on the car, I am leaving the door strikers on now until I get the quarter panels installed (I never removed or moved the rear striker and they were aligned perfect) after the quarters are welded on I will take the doors off and remove the strikers and door hinges, then weld brackets to the door skin and the cage to attach them. I can't get over the weight difference in the door without all the glass and window regulator.

Stevearino

Not sure if it was 1970 or not but somewhere along the line they ditched the inner door all together and just hung the skins. This allowed the door bars to extend in to the door and created a much stronger convex shape more durable on impact. I know by 73 this was the case because of the Bobby Allison Chevelle I restored.

Mike DC

The rule changes for the window stuff all happened about 1970.  They went from requiring roll-up side glass (and the drivers wanted it for aero reasons) to running no glass/mechanisms and bulged out door bars.

Stevearino

Here are some pictures of the way the cage went into the door skins on the Bobby Allison car. Sell those good doors and get some skins :yesnod: :yesnod:

Indygenerallee

Steve, yeah that's the way I want to do mine. Think it would give me a little more room getting in and out!

Indygenerallee

Got my A body hood hinges today as well Thanks Allen! (41Husk)  Also blasted the lower control arms in the cabinet, doors are bare, if anyone needs complete side glass with regulators I am selling it all front and back! Also got the DOM main hoop and roof halo bar today, rest should be in tomorrow.

Indygenerallee

I got the rest of the trunk lid trimmed up tonight, tacked the closeout panel on, traced it pulled it back off then bent the lip up still have some fine tuning with the hammer and dolly but overall really happy with it. I went ahead and ordered a set of Daytonalos trunk hinges and weld on mounts although I have the pattern Larry Roper gave me, I looked at the one Daytonalo made and they looked really nice so I figured heck why not spend some more money....  :lol:

IMAG2001 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ptoFJe]
IMAG2000 by

Stevearino

Looks like your cage came in too. :2thumbs: or is that an older picture?

Indygenerallee

Steve, yep cage came in. Just sat the main hoop in the car so I wouldn't be tripping over it! I am going to mock up the new drop  spindles tonight and see how much further the wheels go up. Still may do the 1.5 degree rake.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Crabtree charger

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 30, 2014, 07:51:48 PM
I got the rest of the trunk lid trimmed up tonight, tacked the closeout panel on, traced it pulled it back off then bent the lip up still have some fine tuning with the hammer and dolly but overall really happy with it. I went ahead and ordered a set of Daytonalos trunk hinges and weld on mounts although I have the pattern Larry Roper gave me, I looked at the one Daytonalo made and they looked really nice so I figured heck why not spend some more money....  :lol:

IMAG2001 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ptoFJe]
IMAG2000 by
Nice work. I like the vintage nascar look.Were did you get your steel close out panel for the trunk lid? Also what tool did you use to fold over the trunk lip onto the close out panel?

Indygenerallee

Crabtree, I bought the closeout panel from Gene Gregory a little over 2 years ago (around $400 bucks) And as far as bending the lip over I have a set of duckbill vise grip pliers that are about 5 inches wide and I just used those to bend the lip up (it isn't straight across 21 1/2" in middle and around 21 5/8" on outside edges)

Indygenerallee

I have been looking around for a race Daytona style gas cap I found a few different ones does anyone have a measurement on the gas cap??? Here is one I found on Ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221316991526?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 02, 2014, 06:35:33 PM
I have been looking around for a race Daytona style gas cap I found a few different ones does anyone have a measurement on the gas cap??? Here is one I found on Ebay. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221316991526?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had originally thought of using  a filler neck and cap of a rear fill tank and hose to the cell neck ..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, Yeah I am going to run a tube just like the race version to the fuel cell. I thought this gas cap looked close to all the vintage pics I have seen plus it has the tube.

Indygenerallee

We were talking about wrapping the steering wheel with electrical tape I came across this article and found it interesting!!

QuoteThe Ford Jarrett was driving held together and he was able to win his first Grand National race that night. The win came with a price though. In those days, drivers used to wrap their steering wheels with electrical tape to give them more grip, and to ease some of the vibration and shock transmitted through the rim of the wheel. One of Jarrett's friends tried to be helpful and wrapped the wheel for Ned, but went clockwise with the tape, rather than counterclockwise as it was supposed to be done. Thus every time the wheel spun through Jarrett's hands coming out of the corners onto a straight, the raised edge of the tape tore away at the flesh of his palm and fingers. By the time the race was over, Jarrett had wounds in his hands so severe bone was showing in places. Despite those painful injuries, Ned had to drive in and win the next night's event to be able to make good the check. In an awesome display of guts, Jarrett started the next night's race at the Charlotte Fairgrounds, before eventually calling on relief help from Joe Weatherly, who happened to be in the pit area just watching the race. Lee Petty looked strong early but lost an engine mid-race. Weatherly eventually called for relief too, and Junior Johnson, who had lost an engine on lap 76, hopped into the car, eventually piloting Jarrett's Ford to victory lane.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on October 02, 2014, 08:13:11 PM
Al, Yeah I am going to run a tube just like the race version to the fuel cell. I thought this gas cap looked close to all the vintage pics I have seen plus it has the tube.

Gotcha, my notebook has a few pages filled in so far and I am sure there will be many more especially when you start cutting to put that T bar cross member in. One of my early ideas was to take it the way you had it pictured and cut the floor open and fit the new crossmember down into the original one and notch for the T bar mounts and weld it silly.   Of what you have seen so far what do you think of the roll cage notching and fitting ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, The cage is really nice has lots of extra material for trimming, I am not going to install the cage until I get the back half inner structure sand blasted I have to go pick up 15 bags of black diamond tomorrow, once that is done and it's in epoxy I will install the quarters,tail panel,vega hatch, etc. then I need to figure out how to get to the 1.5 degree body lowering but I cannot do that until I have the whole back sheet metal welded on that way I can hinge it at the back and then lower it over the front frame, Once that is all done then I can install the cage and then the last step will be to put it back on the rotisoree and cut the frame rails down and re-weld those and then install the new torsion bar cross member. Lot's of work!  :icon_smile_big:

Highbanked Hauler

When you start dropping the body down over the rails :drool5: tape a video camera to your hat so we all can watch :smilielol: :smilielol:   :lol:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Won't be all that dramatic!  :icon_smile_big: I'll be sure to take plenty of pics though!!!

Stevearino

Indy,
I don't know how you were planning to man handle the body but if I had a 2 post lift like you do this is how I would have handled it on my project. This a picture I downloaded from the West Coast Restorations SRT-8 Roadrunner project before they took pictures down from their facebook site. You can see that they welded some square tube across from "C" post to "C" post in the back and then just used some lumber in the front to support the body by the roof to lift it off and on the chassis for positioning. In your case you could add shim blocks at the rear "C" post brace until you got the angle of attack you were looking for.  :Twocents: Sorry for the grainy pic. It is scanned from a hard copy.