News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My #71 K&K Daytona race tribute

Started by Indygenerallee, September 04, 2014, 06:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Well been making more progress, I have leveled the car, drilled out all the spot welds on the rear inner wheel tubs to rear floor pan (under rear seat area) and separated them. have figured exactly where to cut the inner rocker and going to slice the complete rocker pinch weld off after the body is lowered use L channel to re-weld the factory inner rocker to the outer rocker same as the race version. Also welded a brace between the upper inner wheel tubs to keep the rear wheel tubs from folding in when I remove the whole rear package tray, just have a few more spot welds to drill and it's out. I got my tracking numbers for my S&W cage today and my trans tunnel and cross member will be here next Monday, I will also notch the rear upper frame rails so the axle has further travel without hitting the frame rails, that cross brace also has to be removed after I install the driver side rear frame rail so I can install all four rear shocks  ;) I am still trying to decide on which T bars and leafs springs to run. I think I will be running the stiffest bar I can find since I do intend to race this car if there are ever any vintage Nascar exhibition races :icon_smile_big:

IMAG1968 by
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Brads70

Highbanked Hauler

( I do intend to race this car if there are ever any vintage Nascar exhibition races.)  You will probably need a couple of different sizes of bars and springs if you get racing.

I have been loosely looking to get into vintage racing but never found out anything about it.  I'd just take track time if I could get it.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

AL, There is a SCCA road course track about 15 minutes from me in Putnamville, Indiana. I have watched many factory SCCA Vipers wax Corvettes there for years practicing. I would love to take this car and really show people what a TRUE DAYTONA Charger (specifically the #71) going around a track! even if it is just for exhibition I would be on cloud 9 And really that is all it's about, guy's my age (34) never got to see actual race Daytona Chargers go around the track, We just see vintage footage. I would love to see and be a part of a vintage style exhibition race.

Highbanked Hauler

I can't remember where it is but they have or had oval track drag racing  till some guy flipped his Ranger but that'd work, go out and run 5 laps and clock the time then the next one run 5 laps for times and so on but I am sure its a liability thing   your going to get some "person" that thinks they can drive and gets hurt and its all over :'(
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

:lol: Yeah I have seen one of those before! get a load of this video http://youtu.be/xZw29SsJ5YU

Swampwing2

I have been Club Racing with the SCCA for the past 9 years. We host vintage events with members of SVRA and HSR and our own vintage class. Once the car is done, and with some basic instruction and evaluation that you are not going to drive like a total lunatic around expensive cars, you could easily get the car on track. We have a few vintage Mustangs, Corvettes and such running around with Triumphs and old Porsche's.  The rules are VERY strict against metal to metal contact, and very lax with horsepower restrictions, so winning in that class is not the same as winning against 40 Spec Miatas.  If my car was not a convertible, (therefore not eligible even as a NASCAR clone), I would have done this a long time ago.

Car looks great so far.

(Edit). I am in the Green BMW E36, 3rd from the left.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on September 09, 2014, 09:48:14 PM
:lol: Yeah I have seen one of those before! get a load of this video http://youtu.be/xZw29SsJ5YU

Yep thats the track and the video I saw.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Aero426

Getting your feet wet with track day (road course) events is probably your best way to get involved.    Then take it from there. 

As far as oval track,  there are some events for vintage cars in Illinois and Wisconsin.    They are real racing events and there can be contact.   IMCA old timers is another option that runs in the midwest. 

There is  a west coast based vintage Grand National group.  They have not yet come east.    You and your car have to be "accepted" into the group.       They guys running this are basically the same that run the vintage Trans-Am class out west.    

Stevearino

If your plan is to race it you might want to assume you will need a real racing seat at some point. You might want to consider it at this early stage so that you can put the proper bars for mounting such a seat in  at this stage :Twocents:

Indygenerallee

Steve, yeah I am running the X brace under/through the floor pan after I raise the floor and the same style seat brace to cage. Im goin all the way!

Mytur Binsdirti

That
's a hell of a project you've got yourself into! Keep up the good work!   :2thumbs:

Mike DC

Agreed on the seat issue.  

Looking stock is the only thing the '69 seats don't absolutely suck at.  And they eat up most of $1000/pair just to do that.

Swampwing2

Don't recall seeing what kind of tubing you are using but ERW is not allowed in several clubs anymore. You need to run DOM and most clubs will specify a minimum tube diameter and wall thickness based on vehicle weight as well. Just FYI regarding the racing thing. 

Stevearino

Quote from: Swampwing2 on September 10, 2014, 08:28:50 PM
Don't recall seeing what kind of tubing you are using but ERW is not allowed in several clubs anymore. You need to run DOM and most clubs will specify a minimum tube diameter and wall thickness based on vehicle weight as well. Just FYI regarding the racing thing. 
Don't know about what it was in the old days but we use 1 3/4" .090 DOM.

Indygenerallee

Yeah, I am not using DOM tubing I want to race it but it's not a deal breaker for me if someone says I can't at least I know if I get in a accident on the road I am well protected!  Finally removed the rear package tray, also received my LCA reinforcement plates from PST (I could have made some but for $20.00 they were worth it) Need to weld up X braces on the firewall and door openings before I cut the rocker free from the body.

IMAG1970 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oT1zzJ]
IMAG1969 by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oT16Ha]
IMAG1971 by

Indygenerallee

Highbanked Hauler

Indy, what did you use for  paint to put the Goodyear logo on the tires ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Al, that's not paint it's some vinyl I printed off to check what size I want to get (that is way too big IMO 2" tall) I am going to buy the Goodyear billboard kit from
Tred wear letters, they sell kits and they are rubber letters that you glue to the tire, say they wont fade like paint, Lots of the Cobra guys run them.

http://tredwearletters.com/product/billboard-tire-letter-kit/

Indygenerallee

Having second thoughts on this cage after doing some more research..  :icon_smile_blackeye: I think I will return it and get a DOM cage.

Mike DC

Rollbars oughtta be at least 1.75" diameter for the NASCAR vibe.  And fitted very well to the inside walls of the car. 

Using DOM wouldn't hurt. 

Highbanked Hauler

Can you weld DOM tubing with a mig ?   I like the idea of vinyl letters for the tires,  I was thinking of using acrylic lacquer (which I didn't realize you can still buy) with adhesion promoter. Back in the day if you got overspray on a tire it was hell to get off but I would guess the rubber in tires has changed too.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Indygenerallee

Yeah, you can weld DOM with MIG now I think Chromoly you have to TIG.

Mike DC

The rules usually require 4130 to be TIG welded. 

Whether TIG is really the safest welding method for the stuff . . . that's another story IMO.