News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carb Spacers.......worth the trouble?

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 20, 2006, 09:53:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Since I added a drop base to my factory aircleaner to clear my hood pad, I figured I might inquire about adding a ½" or so carb spacer.......

1.  Worth the trouble?

2.   4 holes or wide open?

This would be for my 750 vac secondary Holley on top of my Eddy CH4B manifold.

Thanks!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Hey Chris, carb spacers are basicly a tuning tool. A 4hole will increase signal to the boosters and make the engine "feel" more responsive off idle. An open spacer is for increasing plenum volume which increaes top end power.

Spacers are "combination specific" so it really depends what you're looking for. If you want a sharper throttle resonse, then the 4hole is the way to go. The CH4B that you've got is a really descent manifold that makes very good top end power because it moves a lot of air. On a combo like yours. increased plenum volume really isn't an issue. That being said, the 4-hole would be my choice to increase idle vaccum and sharpen throttle response.

Fwiw, i recommended a 4 hole to Mike (Brightyellowrtse) and he really liked how much the throttle response improved with that upgrade. There were other tweaks done to the low compression 400 "smogger" but it was transformed from a slug into a tire frier.  ;D  Mike is also running a vacuum secondary holley carb.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Just 6T9 CHGR

Thanks for the input Ron. 

Any goodness to this thing?

Its a heat dissipater/spacer thats ½"

Is ½" worth it or does it have to be 1"?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

No experience with that heat dissipating setup...looks kinda funky, lol. I've used the composite spacers which also serve as an insulator for the carb. I haven't tried a 1/2in but the 1in works very well. Put it this way....it won't hurt and "should" help.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

an open spacer may help in youyr case seeing as you are using a dual plane intake & allowing some crossover usually helps

firefighter3931

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 20, 2006, 02:09:07 PM
an open spacer may help in youyr case seeing as you are using a dual plane intake & allowing some crossover usually helps

The ch4b allready has a milled divider so an open spacer will only serve to increase plenum volume....the crossover allready exists in the original design.  ;)

What specificly are you looking for Chris ? Increased throttle response or more top end power ? In most cases the open spacer helps with a dual plane because it allows for crossover as Neil said, but the ch4b with it's divided center and generous runners is an exception to the rule.

Ron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Looking for a little more crispness.   I think the 4 hole would be the way to go.

Its going to be down the road in the season though.  Cant wait to install & try out my FBO dizzy & ign kit.
Im sure that will make a nice improvement as well.....

Thanks for the ideas/info :thumbs:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

firefighter3931

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 20, 2006, 04:25:55 PM
Looking for a little more crispness.   I think the 4 hole would be the way to go.

In that case i would agree with the 4-hole.  :yesnod:

Ron

Ghoste

I had one of those multi layer insulator spacer setups and I didn't like it very well.  It seemed to cause a lot of whistling and vacuum leaks.  SPend the money on a one piece composite, it's worth it.

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

4402tuff4u

I purchased a 1" thick phenolic spacer from Summit for my Weigand intake manifold for my 440 as per Chryco's suggestion. I guess it also acts as a heat barrier to isolate the heat from the carburetor. Can't wait to run the engine period! Hope hood clearance wont be a problem. The machinist said he can plane the 1" phenolic spacer down to a custom thickness if the hood is a problem. :yesnod:
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Just 6T9 CHGR

If you are planning on using a stock air cleaner than hood clearance will be a problem :rotz:

Thats why I had to use a Ferd Motorsport air cleaner drop base under my factory one to stop hitting my hood pad.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

4402tuff4u

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 21, 2006, 09:36:45 AM
If you are planning on using a stock air cleaner than hood clearance will be a problem :rotz:

Thats why I had to use a Ferd Motorsport air cleaner drop base under my factory one to stop hitting my hood pad.

Yes I'm going to run the stock air cleaner. You think I will still have a problem even without a hood pad? Where did you buy the drop base - on line? I just learned this morning that my Weigand intake heat cross over chamber in the manifold will have to be shaved down, cause it's hitting the INDY valley pan plate. I'm not using the heat cross over anyhow.   
"Mother should I trust the government?........... Pink Floyd "Mother"

Just 6T9 CHGR

You'll probably be fine without a hood pad.
Im running a Edelbrock CH4B manifold which is pretty much an aluminum version of the cast iron factory one (flows better though) and it hits the hood pad.

I heard about this trick a while back on Moparts from I think 471magnum, but never persued it.

You can get them on ebay and I think Summit sells them.
I got mine on the cheap on ebay used for $10....the lid was dented but I didnt care, just wanted the base!

Heres one that lists the part # as well.....
M-9600-A302

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-FORD-MOTORSPORT-13-INCH-AIR-CLEANER-LOW-PROFILE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43946QQitemZ8049113397QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Chris' '69 Charger R/T