News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wheel refinishing tips? Any particular brand of paint?

Started by Wakko, April 08, 2006, 03:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakko

I sandblasted my four cop wheels today and would like to get them wrapped and installed on Friday.  I know Eastwood sells rim paint for $11 a can so I'm sure I can find some locally at my auto paint supply house.   Anyone have any tips?  Do I need to primer the wheels?  If so, what's the strongest primer?  I want this coating to LAST.

Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

wylde8

When I did my taillights, everyone recommended PPG's DCC line of urethanes.  They all said it would last better than anything else PPG makes.  I can't really speak for the other brands of paint though. 

Wakko

Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

TruckDriver

Prime the wheels first Ian. Then I use a stove paint (household appliance paint) long as you wanna paint them black or white. It is more resistant to stone chips and etc. Most hardware stores carry the stove paint.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Wakko

Etching primer or does it matter?   Yes, doin' them in black.  You're gonna want yours back after you see how pretty it looks.  :icon_smile_cool:
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM

TruckDriver

When I paint, I use the red Rustolium (spelling?) primer. And, na, I won't want the wheel back, I just want pics ;)
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

bill440rt

Quote from: Wakko on April 09, 2006, 02:30:10 PM
Etching primer or does it matter?   Yes, doin' them in black.  You're gonna want yours back after you see how pretty it looks.  :icon_smile_cool:

Wakko,
If you're doing the wheels black and have access to a spray gun/compressor then nothing beats automotive paint from your local auto body supply store (PPG, DuPont, etc). Prime them with a good epoxy primer, let it flash dry, then paint black. If you're going for gloss black then automotive urethane is the way to go. If semi-gloss is preferred you can use flattening agent. Or, Eastwood's Chassis black is good black epoxy paint & very stone chip resistant. You can get it in semi or gloss black.
Avoid rattle can paints as most are not very chip resistant and not as durable as regular automotive paints.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Wakko

I don't have access to a compressor and have to use the rattle can, unfortunately. 
Ian

Boynton 236 F&AM