News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question Regarding the Price of a 1969 Dodge Charger

Started by knightprowl, September 18, 2014, 04:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightprowl

Hi,

I am wondering what the following would cost in today's market. I have listed what I am looking to buy in the near future below and I need to know before hand if my budget would cover what I am after. Please reply with your opinions and if my budget cannot cover what I am wanting then I need to know what it would cover and what type of condition the vehicle would be in for my budget.

So please let me know so that I have some idea what I would be getting if I bought a vehicle within a years time. My budget is $30,000 however it could be more or less then that so $30,000 is my estimated starting point at this time until I know for sure exactly how much money I will get. Regardless of the amount I still need to know if my budget can cover what I am wanting or not and if not what to expect for my budget of $30,000 give or take $5,000 or so. Anyways just let me know.

As for the condition of the vehicle I am wanting for my budget. It is a solid daily driver with no mechanical or electrical issues. No bondo filled areas or any holes or dents. Little to no chips or scratches. No rusted or rotted out areas. Little to no surface rust or undercarriage rust and no major cosmetic issues on the exterior or the interior. It does not need to be a numbers matching vehicle. However I am wanting it to be as close to stock as possible with no aftermarket or universal parts and accessories. Only OEM, OER and or NOS parts and accessories.

I am wanting most to all of what I have listed below. Also I apologize for the list being so long. I just wanted to put as many details as I can so you know more specifically what I am after. Not all details are listed as they are not all needed as only the specific details need to be. however I believe you will get what I am after better with as many details as I can add to my list even though a long list can be annoying to read sometimes but will explain better then a short list can for specific details such as these.

And I am also sorry for my actions In the past. I will no longer be deleting my posts for any reason. I will leave them for all the world to see so everyone can benefit from them instead of being selfish and acting like a child. So to those I have hurt or angered in the past for my actions I apologize for doing so and I promise it will not happen again. With that said I hope we can put the past behind us and move forward. I am not asking for you to forgive me. But to just give me one last chance. I promise you all it will not be in vain.

Thank you and Peace.

1969 Dodge Charger Information List:

1969 dodge charger base line model
383 cubic inch 6.3 liter B V8 engine
A-727 torqueflite 3 speed center console mounted automatic transmission
two barrel carburetor or four barrel carburetor
rebuilt engine and transmission
under 200,000 original miles on engine and transmission
turquoise engine block, intake manifold, cylinder heads and valve covers
power steering
power front disc brakes or manual front drum brakes
power rear drum brakes or manual rear drum brakes
front torsion bars
rear leaf springs
front stabilizer bar
no rear stabilizer bar
sure grip limited slip differential
intake manifold
exhaust manifold
exhaust mufflers
8-3/4 rear axle
3.23 rear axle ratio
tinted windshield, rear window, door windows, vent windows and quarter windows
any color exterior
organosol black tail lights panel
front bumper with or without guards
rear bumper with guards
hood turn signals
side marker indicators
reverse lights
working telescoping/three mast radio antenna mounted on the right front fender
manual or remote drivers side door rear view mirror
any color interior
manual door windows
manual front bucket seats
front bucket seats lap seat belts
coat hangers
vinyl/leather front bucket seats with or without head rests
vinyl/leather rear bench seat
vinyl/leather door panels with map storage pockets
vinyl/leather rear panels
carpet with heel pad on drivers side
no floor mats or floor pads
instrument panel light
dome light
center console lights
black with white writing instrument panel
black with white writing ralley gauges with miles per hour speedometer, odometer, two-faced clock or clock/tachometer, oil pressure, alternator/voltage, fuel level and coolant temperature
wood grain center console panels
gear shifter with the wood grain push button ball gear shifter knob
3-spoke steering wheel with pad with dodge/mopar horn emblem and partial horn ring or 3-spoke steering wheel with cap with dodge/mopar horn emblem
four black air vents on lower middle dash section
working 1969 mopar B-body am/fm stereo dash radio
air conditioner
heater
front defroster/defogger
any wheels
any tires

twodko

A $30k budget is a healthy start.
FYI 2nd gen Chargers have torsion bar front suspension and leaf springs in the back.
As far as I know the antennas are all one piece masts. If it's an AC car it will have
the center dash vents you mentioned.
Beyond these couple observations, you simply need to search, hunt and look at
all possible vehicles that fit your criteria. Sounds like you're looking for an R/T.

Don't get frustrated and be patient in your search. Start by looking at the "cars for sale"
section here. Good luck.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

knightprowl

Thanks for the information and advice. I didn't know they had torsion bar front suspension. So thanks for that. And I do believe you could get a three mast antenna as I have seen them on reproduction parts and accessories websites for 69 B-bodies. And no I am not after a R/T just the base line model charger as it is cheapest and specifically the version of charger I am after. Plus all of what I listed is on the base line model charger be it in options or standard.

And I am after most to all of what I have listed so a "cars for sale" will not do but only someone who has what I am looking for making an offer once I have the money and make my "car wanted" topic. But thanks again none the less. I will update my topic and list to add these fixes. and yes I know it takes time. But I am hoping to get what I am after no later then next summer so I hope not to much time. But will have to wait and see once I get the money.

Thank you and Peace.

Ghoste

The correct antenna for a 69 is the telescoping mast and 30k will get you a very nice car.

knightprowl

Thanks for reaffirming that. And yes I would hope it would get me a nice car. But as I stated above I am after a solid daily driver with no mechanical or electrical issues and no major cosmetic issues. However I do not know that I will be able to get one that nice for my budget. I hope you are right in saying a very nice car however we will have to wait and see on that. For now I must focus on getting the money. Then once I have it I will go from there. But thank you again for the support and confidence as I need both to achieve my goal. So all I can say for now is wish me luck on the money and once I get it that I can find what I am looking for.

Thank you and Peace.

twodko

Is that right Ghoste? I wonder why my 69 has a single mast, it's an original car?
Learn something new every visit here.

knightprowl

Yeah you do learn something new everyday. I never knew they used torsion bar front suspension before you told me. And now I do thanks to you. And you didn't know they had a telescoping/three mast antenna as well as a single mask but now you do. Yep you learn something new everyday. Anyways thanks again guys for all the help. Wish me luck on getting my money and maybe someday soon I can call myself a 1969 Dodge Charger owner as well. :icon_smile_big:

Thank you and Peace.

Ghoste

Are you the original owner twodko?  Mopar didn't go to the one piece mast until the 70's (forget the exact year but it was early), so I'm curious now.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Ghoste on September 19, 2014, 06:20:23 AM
Are you the original owner twodko?  Mopar didn't go to the one piece mast until the 70's (forget the exact year but it was early), so I'm curious now.

'72
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

69CoronetRT

To the OP...some of what you are looking for is not the proper combination. e.g. Carter carb on an A/C car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

knightprowl

I know that they only used the carter carburetor later in the year but I would prefer a carter carburetor and not the holley carburetor. And as I stated before some of the things I want is optional on a 1969 dodge charger. However as long as the vehicle has most to all of what I am wanting be it from the factory or added later by the owner then it doesn't matter to me. But I get what your saying. But thanks for the information none the less.

Anyways I was just getting a rough estimate for my budget to see if I could afford what I am after for $30,000 and it seems that so far everyone agrees that I would so I will wait until I have the money to start my car wanted topic. But thanks again for all the help and advice so far guys. It really helped me get a good idea of what to expect what I would get for my budget. Anyways I will get back to here once I have the money.

Thank you and Peace.

twodko

Good morning Ghoste,

I bought my car from the original owner. It was a
late build 1969 R/T so perhaps that's why it received
a one piece mast.  :shruggy:

stripedelete

Quote from: twodko on September 19, 2014, 12:21:00 PM
Good morning Ghoste,

Could be.  I have evidence both way.

My R/T has a 7/4/69 build date and had a solid mast. 

My 318 69 was much earlier with a telescoping antenna. 
But in the same breath, a good breeze and a tarp snapped the telescoping antenna off the 318 car pretty effortlessly. 

Therefore, solid on 69's could be replacement.

knightprowl

I have updated my topic to fix some issues with my list. I had it saying I wanted the black vinyl top and to have the rear bumble bee stripes. However as the vehicle I will be buying needs to not have either of these items as I am making a LEE 1 replica and the vehicle I will be getting must not have a vinyl top or rear bumble bee stripes then I have removed them from my list. Reason for doing so is because LEE 1 started out as T3 light bronze metallic. It did have a vinyl top at one point and possibly the rear bumble bee stripes.

However as everyone knows LEE 1 nor any general lee has either a vinyl top or rear bumble bee stripes so I do not need them either. As that will save me the time and money to not have to remove either of them so that I can simply paint over the vehicle just as Warner Brothers did back in 1978 but with advanced technology and better quality paint so that the paint will not flake and peel as it did back in 1978. Sadly I do not know if this will work or not as the vehicle will already be painted and even with new age technology and better quality paint may still flake and peel off due to painting over already dry and cured paint.

But I can only hope that will work. Only time will tell. But for now the vehicle that I will buy must be T3 light bronze metallic without the vinyl top or rear bumble bee stripes. However as the list states it must have the vinyl top trim as well as all the other details in the list to be setup the way I need it to be in order to make a LEE 1 replica without having to spend a great deal of money towards adding or removing parts. But I will worry about this once I have the money. But I am just mentioning my list changes and why I did remove those items from it.

Thank you and Peace.

ACUDANUT

Hmmm, I think they all had "intake manifolds and exhaust manifold's"  :scratchchin:

knightprowl

Yeah I know. I just mean that I didn't want any headers or any beefed up intakes or cams or any modifications like that. Like my post said I want it to be as close to stock as possible with only OEM, OER and or NOS parts and accessories. In other words no headers, no beefed up intakes or cams. No glass pack mufflers and etc. Basically as close to bone stock as possible with only OEM, OER and or NOS parts and accessories.

Now that don't mean I wouldn't accept new intakes or manifolds or mufflers and so on. Just as long as its not aftermarket or universal parts and accessories but only parts and accessories used for that type of vehicle. AKA OEM, OER and or NOS. Now that I have gotten that out I think you will get me better. Anyways if you have anymore questions or comments about my list then please tell me and I will be happy to explain it.

After all I cant really get what I am wanting if I don't explain it in detail. I am just trying to be as detailed as possible. Its better to have more details and a longer list then to have less details and a shorter list. At least in my opinion and that is why I do that. Better safe then sorry. Anyways thanks for the sarcasm. This topic needed a bit of it.

Thank you and Peace.

Ghoste

Quote from: stripedelete on September 19, 2014, 12:35:51 PM
Quote from: twodko on September 19, 2014, 12:21:00 PM
Good morning Ghoste,

Could be.  I have evidence both way.

My R/T has a 7/4/69 build date and had a solid mast. 

My 318 69 was much earlier with a telescoping antenna. 
But in the same breath, a good breeze and a tarp snapped the telescoping antenna off the 318 car pretty effortlessly. 

Therefore, solid on 69's could be replacement.

I believe replacement.  It was also popular at one time for kids to snap antennas.  Without better evidence I'm going with what 69CoronetRT posted. 

knightprowl

I thought this was my thread about prices of a 1969 dodge charger and not about the antennas used on a 1969 dodge charger? Just kidding. I don't mind. Just trying to be a bit more social and shoot the shit so to speak. Anyways carry on, carry on.:popcrn:

Thank you and Peace.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: knightprowl on September 19, 2014, 09:35:00 PM
I thought this was my thread about prices of a 1969 dodge charger .....Thank you and Peace.

I would encourage you to do some more homework on your list. Some of the things you are looking for are incompatible or illogical with package availability and requirements on an ordered car. To obtain your list would require some very specific, personalized modifications and upgrades to a stock car. This is not to say what you are looking for would not be cool or unobtainable, just that these specific requirements would require someone making specific detailed modifications that, by coincidence, match your requirements. It is highly doubtful the car you describe exists without you personalizing and modifying a car with the core options.

Given that.....discussion on availability of antennas is a more finite and can be resolved as opposed to discussion on the price of a car that probably couldn't or doesn't exist.

Your goal and desire is worthy and achievable but you may need to modify or manage your expectations as to the specifics of what you think you can find in an existing car.

Ghoste

Interesting and very good point.  I had a specific list and it greatly reduced my chances of finding the car I wanted that I ended up in a 67 as a "temporary" car for many years while I searched.  I did finally do just what you said, I have the core vehicle and will add the specifics to make it mine.

knightprowl

I know I wont get a car that has everything I want. But I said before as long as it has most of what I want then I will be fine. Because I do plan to add and remove parts to make it more like I am wanting. There is no way around this. I just want to get one that has most of what I am wanting so I can save the time and money of having to redo almost everything instead of only a few things. And yes as I also said before I know some of those things would have to be be added by the owner.

All I care about is it not having any aftermarket or universal parts and accessories and only OEM, OER and or NOS parts and accessories. So whether or not the car came with all of that from the factory or was added later by the owner does not matter to me. I just want it to have as much as I have listed as possible. So as long as it does then I don't mind adding or removing some things to make it exactly how I am wanting. So as long as it does have most of what I want then I will be okay.

Thank you and Peace.

knightprowl

I updated my list. I have learned much from Jim Shine about LEE 1 and so I have updated my list. So the list in the original post reflects that. Anyways I just wanted to mention it. Please look over the list again and let me know if I could find a vehicle with most to all of what I am wanting now that I know more about LEE 1. I will be updating my list again once I learn more from Jim Shine.

And will post updates when I do. So I will reply when the list is updated again. I will wait until the list is final before updating it again so that I know everything there is to know about LEE 1 from Jim Shine so that I don't have to update the topic every week. So I will update it with the final list when I know everything Jim Shine knows about LEE 1.

Thank you and Peace.

Dreamcar

Most of what's in your want list will come with a stock 383 vinyl top Charger with A/C. I seriously think you'd be looking for a needle in hay stack if you're specifically looking for a factory T3, 383-2 barrel, vinyl top, with AC. Not impossible, but could take a few years to find, and you may never find it.

Remember, 383 engines and big-block 727 transmissions are relatively easy to find; vinyl top trim can be added to a car that doesn't have a factory top (LEE1 had the chrome trim I think); A/C can be added; exterior and interior colors can be changed. The correct 14' Vectors may be a little difficult though, 15s are more common and being reproduced.  The correct chrome rocker mouldings that LEE1 had are also a little difficult to find.

As long as you have the factory big-block suspension, it's still stock and rebuild kits are readily available.  Even if you go from small block to big block suspension (different spring rates), it's not a big deal. Going from factory disc brakes to drum would be difficult to justify, but you may not get 14" Vectors to fit with disc brakes up front. 

So, my suggestion is to find the nicest non-RT Charger you can, and worry about colors and options later. In other words, if you find a rust free 318, don't pass it up! Even a car that has already been turned into a GL could be a good start because the body work would be done (hopefully done properly).

Alternatively, find a car that needs resto, and use your budget to build it ground up like Lee1. However, you will have to do some work yourself to keep $$$ under control. A resto gets expensive, very quickly. 

Good luck.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

knightprowl

Well as I said before as long as it has most to all of what I am wanting then I will be okay. As I said before as well I will have to change and add things there is no way around that. So I will update my list to have the parts and features it must have. The rest I can add later on. But thanks for the information and advice none the less.

Thank you and Peace.

Dreamcar

Your updated list equates to a mostly stock 383 Charger. Theres nothing special there. All those parts are a available and will fit any 69 Charger, but some parts are more difficult to find than others. A nice rust free example will be around 25-30k, but it still may not have all the colors and options you want.

Every Charger is going up in price, regardless of condition. So the longer you wait, the more the cost goes up. Many 383 cars will likely no longer be numbers matching. If the car survived at all, many would drop in a  440 if the original engine was done.

Bodywork can easily be the most expensive part, so find the nicest one and spend the money saved on those parts you are missing.

Mine is a numbers matching 383 with AC and vinyl top and fender tag.. Here's what just under 10 k can get you:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,110598.0.html

Good luck in your search.

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

knightprowl

I don't care for numbers matching. I just want a solid daily driver with no mechanical or electrical issues and no major cosmetic issues on the exterior or interior and no rusted or rotted out areas. I don't mind a little surface or undercarriage rust. Just not a lot. And as I said before I will have to add a lot to my car and fix a lot there's no ways around it.

Just as long as its got most of what I want in my updated list and is close to stock with no aftermarket parts just OEM, OER and or NOS then I will be fine. And I will worry about getting one later. My LEE 1 list comes first. Plus I have got to get the money first and I don't know how much I will get or when I will get it so I will worry about it later on. But thanks for the information and advice.

Thank you and Peace.

Dreamcar

LEE1 was 383, so I highly doubt it had a single exhaust

knightprowl

According to Jim Shine it was. He said that it had the Y-pipe single exhaust when they found it. But they added a dual exhaust when they restored it. Along with changing a lot about LEE 1 that isn't correct to 1978. Plus it was a two barrel from the factory and not a four barrel so that might have contributed to the Y-pipe single exhaust. But he said that's what LEE 1 had when they found it. So I am going with that. But thanks for the comment none the less

Thank you and Peace.

knightprowl

Well I updated my list again. Pretty much I will have to take what I can find. Since I want a general lee replica then I will probably take your advice and just buy one no matter what era of general lee it is. Hopefully I will get a Georgia era so not much would have to change but I would take a early California or late California era general lee.

But as we both said it needs to be solid and without any major cosmetic issues and no mechanical or electrical issues. Truth be told as long as it has no mechanical or electrical issues I will probably buy any general lee or regular 1969 dodge charger because I can change stuff when I want and have the money to. But mainly I just want a general lee or a regular 1969 dodge charger.

Its my dream car. And Even if it has some cosmetic issues I don't care. Just as long as its a solid daily driver with no mechanical or electrical issues or any rusted or rotted out areas and as little surface or undercarriage rust as possible with no major cosmetic issues on the exterior or the interior then I really don't care. So your right I need to focus on getting the car first then worry about making it into LEE 1 or whatever.

So thanks for that reminder man. I have been so focused on making a LEE 1 list I lost sight of why I am really here. So thanks for the wake up call so to speak. I can finish the list anytime. But getting what I want in a car for my budget wont always be here. So getting the money and getting the car will be my main priority from now on. I will still work on my list but I need to focus more on the money and the car then the list.

Thank you and Peace

Dreamcar

Quote from: knightprowl on September 23, 2014, 09:30:54 PM
Well I updated my list again. Pretty much I will have to take what I can find. Since I want a general lee replica then I will probably take your advice and just buy one no matter what era of general lee it is. Hopefully I will get a Georgia era so not much would have to change but I would take a early California or late California era general lee.

But as we both said it needs to be solid and without any major cosmetic issues and no mechanical or electrical issues. Truth be told as long as it has no mechanical or electrical issues I will probably buy any general lee or regular 1969 dodge charger because I can change stuff when I want and have the money to. But mainly I just want a general lee or a regular 1969 dodge charger.

Its my dream car. And Even if it has some cosmetic issues I don't care. Just as long as its a solid daily driver with no mechanical or electrical issues or any rusted or rotted out areas and as little surface or undercarriage rust as possible with no major cosmetic issues on the exterior or the interior then I really don't care. So your right I need to focus on getting the car first then worry about making it into LEE 1 or whatever.

So thanks for that reminder man. I have been so focused on making a LEE 1 list I lost sight of why I am really here. So thanks for the wake up call so to speak. I can finish the list anytime. But getting what I want in a car for my budget wont always be here. So getting the money and getting the car will be my main priority from now on. I will still work on my list but I need to focus more on the money and the car then the list.

Thank you and Peace

You're welcome. :cheers: Good luck in the search!

Dreamcar

I didn't see it on your list, but don't forget that LEE1 had the optional rocker panel moldings. You can see it on the passenger side of my car. It was the only Lee to have them after the GL uniform got put on.

knightprowl

I did have it on the list originally before I edited it. But I decided to remove it and a lot of other details like the removed gas cap trim which only LEE 1, LEE 2 and LEE 3 had and etc. since as you said a lot of it will have to be added by me as there's no way around that. But yes it was there originally along with the other LEE 1 specific details. Anyways thanks again for the information, support and advice.

Thank you and Peace.