News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Soot from exhaust?

Started by 1BAD68, October 12, 2014, 05:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1BAD68

Every time I park my Charger I notice the back of it full of soot.
My plugs look great, it seems to run good with plenty power but when i stomp on it, there's a puff of black smoke.
I have a Edelbrock performer carb and I've gone through all the jets and rods in the calibration kit but still have the same problem.
Any idea's??

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 1BAD68 on October 12, 2014, 05:09:20 PM
My plugs look great, it seems to run good with plenty power but when i stomp on it, there's a puff of black smoke.
I have a Edelbrock performer carb and I've gone through all the jets and rods in the calibration kit but still have the same problem.
Any idea's??

Sounds like the secondaries are a little rich. Take your plug reading immediatly after causing the puff of black smoke. Shut the car down and coast off the road and pull some plugs.

V8-Rocker

My back looks like yours, also the floor in the garage...
440 ci engine with a 600cfm Holley (4160) on a Edelbrock performer rpm intake.
The Carb ist equipped with 66 jets (prim.), orange cam hole 1, 28 squirter, sec. spring has no color.
It runs great and the plugs looks good.
:shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

68pplcharger

Accelerator pump is to aggressive.

V8-Rocker

Quote from: 68pplcharger on October 13, 2014, 10:52:41 AM

Do you mean the pump cam?
So the orange has in pos.1 19cc
The other three cams with less are the red 18,5cc; blue 18cc; white 17cc.
Do you think one of these three cams are better than the orange?

Holger

68pplcharger

Quote from: V8-Rocker on October 13, 2014, 11:33:37 AM

Holger

No the accelerator pump on the carburetor. There is a small plastic cam lobe on the throttle linkage that controls the amount of fuel discharged from the accelerator circuit. These are mostly ignored/forgotten and sometimes people simply don't know they exist. If that lobe is too aggressive it will momentarily send to much gas to the engine when you punch the throttle causing an over rich condition and the black smokescreen when you first tromp the gas.

1974dodgecharger

what coon saids...mine is like that also....I run rich on purpose, slightly, since I don't have a A/F setup, yet, rather be slightly rich than run lean.
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on October 12, 2014, 07:19:05 PM
Quote from: 1BAD68 on October 12, 2014, 05:09:20 PM
Any idea's??

Sounds like the secondaries are a little rich. Take your plug reading immediatly after causing the puff of black smoke. Shut the car down and coast off the road and pull some plugs.

V8-Rocker

Quote from: 68pplcharger on October 13, 2014, 12:04:29 PM
Quote from: V8-Rocker on October 13, 2014, 11:33:37 AM

Holger

No the accelerator pump on the carburetor. There is a small plastic cam lobe on the throttle linkage that controls the amount of fuel discharged from the accelerator circuit. These are mostly ignored/forgotten and sometimes people simply don't know they exist. If that lobe is too aggressive it will momentarily send to much gas to the engine when you punch the throttle causing an over rich condition and the black smokescreen when you first tromp the gas.

Sorry, but I don't know which part you mean  :'( :shruggy:
I've made some pics of my carb. Please show me what you mean.

68pplcharger

OK post them or send them to me in a PM I'll point it out and shoot the pic back to you.

V8-Rocker

Quote from: 68pplcharger on October 14, 2014, 08:30:06 AM
OK post them or send them to me in a PM I'll point it out and shoot the pic back to you.

I have send you the pics via PM

@1BAD68: Hope that helps you too?!

Holger