News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help! (Quarter window roller)

Started by NickJ, October 11, 2014, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickJ

Afternoon all,
  I purchased a quarter window roller kit from classic industries and ran into a snag. The rollers I have look like picture #1 except they were missing the actual plastic roller. What I got from Classic looks like picture #2. Is this correct? I was expecting just the rollers that push on over the grooved edge. If this is the correct replacement, how do I take apart the mechanism in pic 1 to change it out. Thanks!

Nick

Patronus

I remember (vaguely) of having this problem as well. I believe mine was shattered and I had to replace it. Pretty sure I made my own out of pvc washers and then tack welded a steel washer on the end of the old shaft. 
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

fy469rtse

Nick  two seperate types of rollers in your photo, both are for the rears I'm assuming your buying for
You need both types , that shaft one on its own , needs another roller on it , there's one of theses per side
The other original type you have in photo
There's two per per side and they go up your vertical tracks , I think  going on memory here
Look up rt speciality s for replacement rollers
Factory service manual a good guide on this ,
You can get the outer roller on that cast triple roller, haven't seen the smaller inner ones available , but if you work those free  will have a good effect on how easy windows wind up and down

NickJ

Thanks fellas. Think I got her figured out. The service manual has a pretty good diagram but the parts manual is even better if anyone else runs into this problem.

Nick

VegasCharger

I'm having a similar problem. Rather than posting a new topic I came across this thread. OP I hope you don't mind me asking in here. My rear RH quarter window (power) has a broken swivel roller (see pic below) from the rear track. Kind of looks similar to the one that you got from CI but with only one roller. Do they repop these? Or do you have to buy the plastic rollers only and the press them on? The broken plastic roller on mine is the smaller of the two which is the one that goes into the rear track. The larger roller goes into the most rearward window channel.

NickJ

Vegas,
  Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but my swivel only had one roller as well. (God knows where the other piece went.) However, it was supposed to have 2. If you look at the 2nd picture in my original post, a 2nd roller is placed on the other end and held in place with a locking washers (Think that's what they're called/black star pieces in the pic below) The kit from CI had everything to rebuild both quarter windows although mine was short a couple of those locks. If you have access to the original parts catalog or service manual there is a really good diagram of how the rollers are assembled.  Hope this helps

VegasCharger

Quote from: NickJ on October 22, 2014, 07:53:47 AM
Vegas,
 Not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but my swivel only had one roller as well. (God knows where the other piece went.) However, it was supposed to have 2. If you look at the 2nd picture in my original post, a 2nd roller is placed on the other end and held in place with a locking washers (Think that's what they're called/black star pieces in the pic below) The kit from CI had everything to rebuild both quarter windows although mine was short a couple of those locks. If you have access to the original parts catalog or service manual there is a really good diagram of how the rollers are assembled.  Hope this helps

Thanks Nick for the info. It looks like that kit from CI is for both quarter windows correct? I have extra OEM washers if you need them due to CI shorting you a few. No charge, I'll ship them to you as an appreciation of your help. I have two washers to spare. Let me know.

Thanks again :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Bryan

NickJ

Bryan,
  Yep, that kit will replace all the rollers in both quarter windows. It's a little pricey but after I cleaned and regreased the tracks along with swapping out the rollers those windows are smooth as butter.  Thank you for the offer on those parts. I'm good but sure appreciate it. Good luck with yours!

Nick

VegasCharger

Quote from: NickJ on October 22, 2014, 06:13:03 PM
Bryan,
  Yep, that kit will replace all the rollers in both quarter windows. It's a little pricey but after I cleaned and regreased the tracks along with swapping out the rollers those windows are smooth as butter.  Thank you for the offer on those parts. I'm good but sure appreciate it. Good luck with yours!

Nick

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: