News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What to do after media blasting?

Started by RoscoePColtrain, October 23, 2014, 10:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoscoePColtrain

hey guys,

I'm in the process of dismantling my car and the next step is the media blasting the body and random pieces off the car.
I've been researching the process after sandblasting and got different results via a search.  So what are my options after media blasting the shell and parts?
Do the shell and parts undergo the same process?

Method A:
1. Media blast
2. Pre-painting prep cleaning
3. Self-etching primer
4. Bondo skim
5. Sand
6. Re-prime
7. Sand and clean
8. Paint
9. Wet sand

Method B:
1. Media blast
2. Blow clean with compressor and wipe with damp cloth
3. Epoxy prime
4. Bondo skim
5. Sand
6. Re-prime
7. Sand and clean
8. Paint
9. Wet sand

Method C:
1. Media blast
2. Wipe with damp cloth
3. Self etching prime
4. Bondo skim
5. Sand
6. Re-prime
7. Sand and clean
8. Paint
9. Wet sand

Method D:
???

Dino

Much depends on media used, what type of residue it leaves behind.  Sandblasting is usually followed by extensive cleaning and etching primer.  Then you have metal that will withstand the elements, up to a point, so you can get it ready for epoxy.  Why bondo though?  It's always better to put the time in to work the metal.  When a filler is needed use a spray filler.  When you do use a filler, regardless if it is liquid or solid, scuff the etch primer.  At least that's how it used to be, I'm sure a lot of these products have changed since I played with them.

Repriming is kind of a wasted step in my opinion.  I never primed a car until it was straight and ready for it.  If you need to block sand it so many times that you need to reprime it then the body was not straight enough to receive primer in the first place.  But that's just how I work, your method will work, it's just more sanding and painting.  Remember that the less you need to slap on the metal, the less chances of sagging and artifacts that can appear.

Opinions will vary and several methods will get you a great result.  If you can, try to stick with one brand of products to make sure you get the best results.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.