News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

updating thumbwheel to modern electronics...Garytayman.com?

Started by My9302002, October 02, 2014, 08:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My9302002

Looking to get my original thumbwheel radio updated to modern specs.
Anyone use this guy?

Garytayman.com

Spoke with him and seems pretty knowledgeable and very nice,seems like a class act.
$385 for full conversion versus like $700 from ClassicIndustries for a new look alike with modern internals.
Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: My9302002 on October 02, 2014, 08:55:31 PM
Anyone use this guy?

Garytayman.com

Spoke with him and seems pretty knowledgeable and very nice,seems like a class act.
$385 for full conversion versus like $700 from ClassicIndustries for a new look alike with modern internals.

He does great work.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

My9302002

Andrew
69 RT/SE B5 Blue

Dino

What all does the full conversion include?  Can the stock AM radio be converted to FM?

I was set on buying the secret audio kit and leaving the stock radio for looks, but $385 is not a terrible price!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Dino on October 03, 2014, 07:51:04 PM
What all does the full conversion include?  Can the stock AM radio be converted to FM?

I was set on buying the secret audio kit and leaving the stock radio for looks, but $385 is not a terrible price!

Yep , still looks am,but has fm too. Turn it on and it's am. Turn it of and the on again and it's fm. You have to guess where the station is ,but most of can handle that.....  :D
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dino

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on October 03, 2014, 07:53:03 PM
Quote from: Dino on October 03, 2014, 07:51:04 PM

Yep , still looks am,but has fm too. Turn it on and it's am. Turn it of and the on again and it's fm. You have to guess where the station is ,but most of can handle that.....  :D

Yeah I think I can handle that.   :lol:

Besides, I can still set the stations so I'll only have to tune it once.  Currently I have all my favorite AM stations set...and none of them are worth a damn.   :icon_smile_big:

I'm going to contact him, I have some custom tweaks I would like and something tells me this guy can do just about anything to these radios.  I gave up on finding an affordable 69 FM radio.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hard Charger

I sent a radio out for conversion and got it back and installed it and it has not worked. its been a couple years now and I just have not had time to play with it.

I did get it to work on the workbench though.

looks just like the original radio, they gut it and put modern electronics in. AM/FM, I pod jack, fader. little trick to make it FM.

$400 from the guy at Carlisle.

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on October 02, 2014, 09:56:06 PM
Quote from: My9302002 on October 02, 2014, 08:55:31 PM
Anyone use this guy?

Garytayman.com

He does great work.

x2 with Tayman.  :yesnod:
I have a converted radio by him in my '68. It's no SecretAudio, but it's very good & sounds just fine. I ran a 1/8" headphone cable from the back of the radio to the ashtray so I can plug in an iPod, mp3 player, etc easily.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce