News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wobbly and Non-Locking Exterior Door Handle Push Button

Started by Tengun, October 09, 2014, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tengun

I am having an issue with my drivers side door handle push button on my 70 Charger. It is very wobbly - meaning it has a lot of all around movement compared to it's passenger side counterpart. It will function to open the door, but not enough to set or release the door lock. I am a newer owner of the car and do not know all of its restoration history, but would guess that it is a reproduction. I have heard that the some of the reproduction door handle push buttons are not the exact size of the originals which causes the play.

Anyone had a similar experience and if so, how did you fix it. I have not gone into the door yet and thought I would come here first. If the solution is to go find an original part, where is a good source for that? All I am finding online are reproduction.

Thanks!

ODZKing

There are several things that could be at issue. First before you tear anything apart on the side of the door just about where the latch shold be there should be a hole. I forget if the hole has an allen screw or regular, (I believe it is allen) and that adjusts the latch. I am not sure what it is supposed to do but if it is not adjusted properly you can push the button all day and nothing will happen. Or it will make the button feel spongey.
Secondly as in the illustration I've shown, there are numerous things that could have come loose.  There is a phillips screw that hold a pices of metal retainer and keeps the button tight against the spring.  If that is loose there would be a problem. If it fell off, the button would simply push all the way in and into the door.
Next is the latch rod, possibly that has come loose.  But from your description, I believe it is simply that adjustment.
I don't have a pic of it but I can take one when I get home if you need further direction.

bill440rt

Bob just hit the nail on the head.  :yesnod:

Just went thru the same scenario during a door handle change. There is a little allen screw located in a little round cutout on the door right next to the latch. With the door handle in position, crack loose the allen screw. You should be able to adjust the linkage now to take up the slack. The button on the outer handle will now be firm. If it's out of position it will place pressure on the latch rod & just put enough pressure on the handle mechanism so the button isn't rested against the stop. That's what causes the rattle.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Tengun

Thanks guys. I was able to eliminate the wobble a bit but was not able to solve the second (probably related) issue I did not describe very well. Using my key, I am able to engage the lock and set it (lock it) but unable to unlock it. When turning the key back, the lock will move maybe half way but not enough to release it. The lock releases and sets just fine by pulling/pushing the lock knob inside the door.

In monkeying around with that alan screw I was could not get the lock to release or get any closer.

ODZKing

Bad latch or it is badly in need of lubrication. Does it unlock with the button (up/down)?

Tengun

Yep, pushing and pulling the door lock button/knob (up by the window) will set and release the lock. Just not working through the key lock.