News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

He's getting there

71charger_fan

I knew there had been rust in the corners. I did not know there was some toward the middle.

71charger_fan

It's amazing how much damage a vinyl top can inflict.

ACUDANUT

71charger_fan

I opted to shave the drip rails.

timmycharger

Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 04, 2020, 08:35:39 PM
Quote from: timmycharger on November 03, 2020, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on November 02, 2020, 07:44:14 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,138778.msg1719591.html#msg1719591

Dude, you post in riddles, what are you trying to say? You trying to tell him not to bother with a shop?

How do I post in riddles CLOWN. ?

Well, if I had to guess, probably when you are hitting the bottle? Anyway.. back to topic.

looking great!  :cheers:

71charger_fan

Attesting to the quality of the most recent repaint, it's falling off the body in the wheel wells. He's got the hinge pillar stripped, epoxy primed, and hit with some base coat.

71charger_fan

I'm very happy with the windshield opening repairs. Finalizing the drip rail shaving is on hold pending arrival of new quarters and the decision as to how much of them to use.

chapel40

Thats incredible that you had it painted and they didnt catch any of that windshield stuff and other spots. Looks like you have pretty much the same repairs my car had. Its a 71 and Vinyl half top.
Don Chapel

71charger_fan

While disappointing, it wasn't surprising to find they had painted over rust on the driver's side hinge pillar.

hemi-hampton

I've seen lots of body shops paint over rust, most of the times it's because Customer is not willing to pay alot, But sometimes they do pay alot & they still paint over Rust or Earl Scheib do low budget work on the car.. Take a air gun ( i prefer a male & female end fitting screwed together) to inner wheel well & see how much Paint you can get to blow off that way. LEON.

71charger_fan

Painted over rust removed, the area epoxy primed, and behind and the back sides of the hinges hit with base coat.

hemi-hampton

Did you sandblast the rust to remove it? LEON.

71charger_fan

Not sure exactly what he did to that particular rust, but he's been mechanically removing it and acid treating it before epoxy priming. I can't even hazard a guess as to how much putty he's removed.

hemi-hampton

I had one so bad that after sand blasting was swiss cheese. then cut out all the rust & replaced. LEON.

71charger_fan

Quarters, outer wheelhouses, and trunk drops arrived today. The trunk drops arrived damaged, so we wait for AMD to send out new ones.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 15, 2020, 11:53:15 AM
I had one so bad that after sand blasting was swiss cheese. then cut out all the rust & replaced. LEON.

OMG

71charger_fan

Now I realize that the tires have almost no miles on them but are over 12 years old. So, I'll have to add a new set of tires to the project.

71charger_fan

Old quarter skin is off which revealed some additional damage in the structure. Old, crappy repairs to the trunklid cut out and a new lip created that actually aligns to the car.

71charger_fan

The rear most inner part of the quarter was rippled from a rear end collision back in '89. Fortunately, I had bought the pieces from AMD a while ago just in case I ever needed them. I needed them.

71charger_fan

Only needed part of the AMD outer wheel house.

71charger_fan

First fitting of AMD quarter skin going well.

71charger_fan

What? Reproduction quarters don't fit perfectly on the first try? Say it ain't so!

71charger_fan

I collected the seat belts and gave them a thorough scrubbing.

71charger_fan

Body guy is back from some time off and work has resumed.