News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upper control arm camber plate?

Started by TXcharger70, October 26, 2014, 05:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

Do any of you know if they reproduce the plate where your camber bolts tie in to the shock tower/upper conrtol arm which allow for the camber adjustments. On my passenger side it is worn down. When the adjustments are made the oblong washer on the camber bolt pass over the bracket not keeping it with in the bracket. Thus not being able to obtain proper camber/caster

TXcharger70

What I am looking for is this bracket/plate that is weld on the shock tower that holds the camber bolt and adjustment washer like in this photo I found form another thread. I would hate to have to grind it and replace it, but not sure if I have any choice.

1974dodgecharger

ebay, amazon, etc...even autozone has it.  I got mine at O'reilleys auto parts.

moparnation74

Quote from: TXcharger70 on October 26, 2014, 08:48:36 PM
What I am looking for is this bracket/plate that is weld on the shock tower that holds the camber bolt and adjustment washer like in this photo I found form another thread. I would hate to have to grind it and replace it, but not sure if I have any choice.
I am just curious, why do you have to replace it?  I may be able to locate one for you but I am sure someone on here may have one.

TXcharger70

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 27, 2014, 08:03:02 AM
I am just curious, why do you have to replace it?  I may be able to locate one for you but I am sure someone on here may have one.

If you look at the plate the side tabs which hold the camber bolt/washer in place on mine they worn and bent to where I can't get the adjustment I need. When I start to make adjustments washer starts to move out of place rolling over the top of the tabs vs staying confined with in the bracket to allow adjustment.

TXcharger70

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on October 27, 2014, 12:01:23 AM
ebay, amazon, etc...even autozone has it.  I got mine at O'reilleys auto parts.
Whats the correct name for the part is it called Upper control arm camber plate?

myk

Quote from: moparnation74 on October 27, 2014, 08:03:02 AM
I am just curious, why do you have to replace it?  I may be able to locate one for you but I am sure someone on here may have one.

I was wondering the same thing, as this is the first time I've ever heard of someone having a problem with it.  I need to go look at my own set...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

TXcharger70

Its just that is bent over and worn my only option is to replace it which would require welding and grinding. Or try to weld on to it. It just sucks cause everything is painted and would be hard to match the paint since it has some candy in it.

BergmanAutoCraft

If you use SPC double adjustable upper arms, you do not need the eccentrics anymore as each arm of the control arm has a tie rod style sleeve to adjust caster and camber. Much easier to align than the eccentrics especially with large tires.

bill440rt

That plate is welded to the shock tower. I'm not aware of any "fix" other than to rob a used one from a donor tower or new (AMD, etc).
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

green69rt

If you have to weld it on anyway then instead of replacing the whole thing just weld a bead along the edge to duplicate the tabs that are worn or ground off.  If you don't get exactly right just grind till it's right.  It will damage the paint on the shock tower but at least it will be minimum amount and you may be able to touch it up so it will be less noticable... :shruggy: :shruggy:

Sublime/Sixpack

Quote from: green69rt on November 15, 2014, 02:22:17 PM
If you have to weld it on anyway then instead of replacing the whole thing just weld a bead along the edge to duplicate the tabs that are worn or ground off.  If you don't get exactly right just grind till it's right.  It will damage the paint on the shock tower but at least it will be minimum amount and you may be able to touch it up so it will be less noticable... :shruggy: :shruggy:

I was thinking the same approach.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

TXcharger70

Quote from: BergmanAutoCraft on November 14, 2014, 06:54:06 AM
If you use SPC double adjustable upper arms, you do not need the eccentrics anymore as each arm of the control arm has a tie rod style sleeve to adjust caster and camber. Much easier to align than the eccentrics especially with large tires.

I was thinking of that for the mean while. I want eventually replace the stock control arms with something like
Quote from: BergmanAutoCraft on November 14, 2014, 06:54:06 AM