News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what Daytonas/C500's came with a blue interior and NOT blue paint?

Started by pettybird, November 06, 2014, 12:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pettybird

The red/red thread got me thinking.  There are a number of black/blue Corvettes and I love that combo.  You should have been able to get it with at least white or black in addition to B3/5/7.

hemigeno

Good question.  Hypothetically speaking, you could have ordered a Daytona/C500 in any of the paint & interior color combos available in '69.  Even the "not recommended or acceptable" combinations were available with a waiver.  For the most part, Chrysler wasn't too proud to tell a paying customer "No" back then on a subjective topic like colors.

I'm sure you've seen it Doug, but for the record... the '69 Color and Upholstery Guide shows C6D was recommended with A4, B3, B5, B7, W1 and X9.  There were no colors marked as "not recommended but acceptable", so anything else would require a waiver.

I was thinking there were probably some C6D color combos other than B5 and B7 (examples of which immediately come to mind when thinking of a blue interior Daytona), so I sorted my informal spreadsheet for interior color and then exterior color.  Surprisingly, all I have recorded are B5 and B7 cars.  That's not to say any of the available cars weren't produced, just that I haven't come across any of them yet.  Who knows.  I haven't personally seen a B3 example yet.

One factor that may have played a role in Daytona color combination production...  While we know there are isolated examples of cars being special-ordered for a customer (Bob Kerbs is the quintessential example of such), I am not sure there were very many cars actually ordered by a customer.  That's probably because there was such a short window (literally just about 8 weeks) between when the Daytona model was introduced and when almost all production ceased.  The public intro was 4/15/69, and all but one car has an SPD of 6/16 or earlier.  Chrysler may have had to enter a special-order into the system a couple of weeks before production ended, meaning the effective window for ordering a Daytona with specific colors could have been 6 weeks or less.  It's my suspicion that orders for popular color combos were preferred because they'd be easier to sell to a generic buyer rather than a unique combo which might not be as appealing to as many potential purchasers.

:Twocents:

Danny may have a much different picture of the C500s he's logged, as I know there's at least one A4/C6D Hemi500 out there.

held1823

white with blue interior would certainly be stunning. i'm betting that gene is correct, in that there was not much time to place orders for "one-off" combinations.

dad would never be able to recall the exact dates, but working for chrysler at the time enabled him to hear of the daytonas pretty early on. he was aware of the car even before the dealership that his eventually came from knew. the dealership told him they'd get him a daytona, but there was never any discussion of how to equip it. in fact, when i joined here, the vin for ours (409053) was shown to be a washington state car if i recall. this makes me wonder if it was already spec'd out, and simply diverted to the dealership here in indiana.

it's a year newer (and totally unrelated to aero charger production) but mr bell has a T/A in this color combo. the wow factor is over the top
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

pettybird

white/blue is amazing--Dave W's Chally R/T is one of my all time favorite E bodies.  Silver/blue would look really awesome, too.

I think that if I was at Highland Park I would have gotten really bored making R4/X9 cars and snuck in a couple total oddballs.  Surely Chrysler employed someone in that department as tweaked as I am  :lol:

TUFCAT

I agree with Pettybird.  I've always loved the blue interiors (especially blue in 1970's 71's,72's).  :coolgleamA:

I've always liked green interior on a green car, and red interior on well, just about anything including the red/red combos. :drool5:

White interiors are also very striking with the right exterior color.... just not so practical which made them kind of scarce.

chargerman69

ksquared

Quote from: hemigeno on November 06, 2014, 12:49:51 PM
Good question.  Hypothetically speaking, you could have ordered a Daytona/C500 in any of the paint & interior color combos available in '69.  Even the "not recommended or acceptable" combinations were available with a waiver.  For the most part, Chrysler wasn't too proud to tell a paying customer "No" back then on a subjective topic like colors.

One factor that may have played a role in Daytona color combination production...  While we know there are isolated examples of cars being special-ordered for a customer (Bob Kerbs is the quintessential example of such), I am not sure there were very many cars actually ordered by a customer.  ...
It's my suspicion that orders for popular color combos were preferred because they'd be easier to sell to a generic buyer rather than a unique combo which might not be as appealing to as many potential purchasers.

:Twocents:

I've always wondered, no matter who ordered a Daytona, why they wouldn't check a bolder interior color instead of just black.  It isn't like it was going to be a generic Dodge Dart for mom, they must have realized that at the time.  They had so many spectacular interior colors, and then just overlooked them. 

I somewhat thought that one person or group from Dodge sent in a large number of the total orders, as in several hundred, but I definitely could be wrong.  One thing that might explain the interior colors if this was the case is that a black interior would cost Dodge slightly less than a different color, so that was the incentive to keep it black.

And, as Hemigeno mentioned, I'm now wondering if any Daytonas were ordered in "not recommended or acceptable" combinations.

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on November 06, 2014, 04:32:39 PM
white/blue is amazing--Dave W's Chally R/T is one of my all time favorite E bodies. 

here's a shot of larry's T/A. and yes, dave's r/t is quite spooge worthy
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

Gene already mentioned the one 500 I have seen. a4 silver with blue interior. Has anyone seen one that white with white interior?

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

pettybird

Quote from: 69_500 on November 07, 2014, 12:15:59 PM
Gene already mentioned the one 500 I have seen. a4 silver with blue interior. Has anyone seen one that white with white interior?

any pictures of this? 

Better question--any you can locate in the next 12 months in your archives?   ;)

held1823

Quote from: pettybird on November 07, 2014, 07:06:11 PM

any pictures of this? 

Better question--any you can locate in the next 12 months in your archives?   ;)

the archives are surely sorted by vin. and the vin is in his head.

i wager he can produce said pictures within three minutes
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

gtx6970

I know of an A4 silver 500 with blue interior,,,and its a Hemi car.

Last time I talked to Frank he still had it
It's in Chatham , NJ

65post

https://www.facebook.com/groups/283906888323261/
One owner, 34,027 original miles - VIN # XX29L9B414619 as reported by owner and as verified by Ontario Used Vehicle Information Package (UVIP). Bought new from a dealer in Kingston, Ontario. The dealer obtained the car from Dodge after seeing it at the Toronto Auto Show. Dealer installed six pack and dealer painted one time in 1970 after original paint started flaking. The dealer re-paint is an exact color match. This car is one of only 10 Special Editions in existence, and it is only one of two cars in Canada with leather interior. It has all of the Special Edition features and most parts have the original numbers. The vehicle hasn't been licensed since 2004 but has been started on occasion. It starts and runs perfectly. The original dark navy blue leather interior is in fantastic condition and includes a wood grain dash and electric windows among other special edition features. Original warranty card and other documentation is available. This vehicle was the first Special Edition on the shipping list from Dodge. This is your chance to own a piece of automotive history!
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

held1823

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

any pictures of this? 

12 months? Yeah probably would take me that long to remember to look for it. Ernie is right all my folders are labeled with the last 6 digits of the VIN. Not positive I have a picture of the car but know I have one of the fender tag. And yes it is still Franks car.

hemigeno

Quote from: 69_500 on November 08, 2014, 01:37:06 PM

any pictures of this? 

12 months? Yeah probably would take me that long to remember to look for it. Ernie is right all my folders are labeled with the last 6 digits of the VIN. Not positive I have a picture of the car but know I have one of the fender tag. And yes it is still Franks car.

There's some pictures of Frank's car in this thread:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,52644.msg581181.html

Here's one of 'em: