News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Karl Gould Hemi Superbird

Started by gymratt30, November 04, 2014, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonC1

:2thumbs:
Looking at the rear wheel arches ahead of the tire ..appears it's widened too...err the subtle  ' curl ' is removed

DonC1

That's a top of the line car trailer for the era too..on par with todays car trailers.

moparnation74

This thread and everything about this ride is awesome.  I dig the paint job as well, love the 70's racer scheme.

Daytona Enthusiast

gymratt30

heres the pictures of the fender tag and trunk lip
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

gymratt30

another view

gymratt30

dash vin plate

gymratt30

below you can view a  youtube  short clip I have of the car in the Pits, and making a Pass at the 1970 Summernationals in York PA.
The car won its Class. (SS/EA) but did not win the event.

click on the link here

http://youtu.be/bX_Q77x6SdA

billssuperbird

hemi68charger

Good stuff Mike...

You may have already eluded to this, but the XXX? Is that over the N96 that would have been standard on a hemi-equipped Road Runner?

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

gymratt30

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 13, 2014, 09:51:57 AM
Good stuff Mike...

You may have already eluded to this, but the XXX? Is that over the N96 that would have been standard on a hemi-equipped Road Runner?

Troy

Yes, the N96 is stamped over with XXX , ( the 5/50 car is the same way also)

gymratt30

found this picture today.

gymratt30

im wondering .... it says they Knocked off the Briggs Chevrolet,,,,, are they talking about Ray Allen's LS6 Chevelle???

djcarguy

Quote from: djcarguy on November 08, 2014, 02:57:19 PM
     great find MIKE ,WOOD BEE  neet to keep that paint for few years,just get a good air brush guy to touch up nose an hood.  make some magnetic or air brush signs for the side.. 

mike & son racing

mikes Bird Rescue

GymRat  Racing

I think the rallies are to small an tame looking????      keystone ,centerlines or cragers with big tires or slicks look killer with the custom paint.

some day do the karl G race paint but make nose match the quarter paint it kind of looks like crash repair the way its block painted in most of the pics.. kind of like 2nd an 3rd repaints better?

:popcrn: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :cheers: DJ,oregon

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

gymratt30

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 19, 2014, 01:44:00 AM
Its also on page 103 .As to the briggs Ray Allen LS6 Race it was againist the similar superbird.Maybe that's what the article thought
http://books.google.com/books?id=GlWbUGX-CF4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=QUARTER-Mile+Muscle&hl=en&sa=X&ei=mjtsVPj_IYSmgwSnz4HQDw&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=QUARTER-Mile%20Muscle&f=false

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=106158.0 Ray Allen VS Jack Werst Superbird Pic

Thanks for the link on the book!.., good find. (ordered my copy this morning). 

I do know about the Jack Werst / Ray Allen battle.

I was just kinda confused to the fact the pic I posted above came out of the newpaper called RACEWAY NEWS... , so my guess is it was accurate in reporting that particular weekend, the Tim beat out Briggs Chevrolet ...just was not sure if it was the chevelle of Ray Allen's...

gymratt30

I got a email form a friend by the name of John Butchco, he may have enlightened me to a new path to search for my Hemi engine,,,,,

hi mike....well, I may have misled you a bit as far as the hemi engine is concerned....the mind ain't what she used to be so I spoke to my friend paul messemer today at length about thye engine(s)....it seems that the hemi engine out of the superbird ended up in another karl gould car...the one driven by tim Richards and paul back in 71 when these pics were taken....I did not realize that there was a second, third, fourth and fifth 426 hemi lurking around.....my understanding was that chip kept the original engine from the 33 willys for all the other builds....paul said NO, that there were a bunch of hemis lurking around at that time and the one from the superbird ended up in this car as pictured.....as I got out of drag racing in 1970-1, I cannot deny nor corroborate anything paul said....I suspect he may be right as he was adamant that the engine WAS in the brown cuda when it went to a guy in florida and then to another guy in Georgia - he mentioned that he told you this about a month ago...funny, but I just happened to have pics of that car in my old drag folder so here they are....if you have any connection with nhra/ihra/? in fl or ga, maybe you could look there....I was told the car was still sporting the same colors when last seen in, I think, Bristol tn at the drags there - it was running ss/da ....anyway, I am still checking with some of the guys from back in the day, but 30 years ago is tough for some of us to remember....enjoy the pics and I will keep checking - George did not have the engine as you may have thought.....later...johnnyB

any of you guys know of a Cuda in Florida or Georiga running this paint scheme and sporting a Hemi?

gymratt30

cool pic i got from a friend of the Karl Gould dealership in 1970 ...thats Bob chippers Cuda

Redbird

It looks like the 1970 Daytona 500 Superbird poster is in the front window.

Aero426

Quote from: Redbird on November 19, 2014, 10:34:05 PM
It looks like the 1970 Daytona 500 Superbird poster is in the front window.

Yes, it does.

Redbird

Which would probably place "Bob Chipper's" car in front of the dealership in late March-early April 1970. Guessing for print time for the poster plus mailing. Spring snow in background.

BTW nice Chevy tow truck.

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: gymratt30 on November 13, 2014, 10:44:23 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on November 13, 2014, 09:51:57 AM
Good stuff Mike...

Troy

Yes, the N96 is stamped over with XXX , ( the 5/50 car is the same way also)

I've never seen that before on a fender tag....the XXX. Is there other Hemi Superbirds like that?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

hemigeno

Some more good press & exposure for your original engine hunt, Mike!

:2thumbs:

"Psychedelic Superbird" Hemmings Blog

gymratt30

wow that Hemmings article is a blessing... im sure the word will be spread more to help on the engine hunt.

just Fyi, I talked to Tim Richards again this morning.. Tim is a first class guy... he has given me so much information about his car... a true pleasure to talk to.

nascarxx29

I sent link to a few places myself hopefully motor will be found
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701