News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trying to help a mopar friend

Started by nvrbdn, November 25, 2014, 07:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

41husk

I will bring my camera in and post some pics.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok guys we have an update. I am heading to steve's in the morning to go to the school and meet with the class and check on the progress of the car. I will be sure to take a camera and get some pictures. the weather has warmed a lot around here, and tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

we made it. I picked steve up (or I rode with him from his house) at 8:30 and we headed to the school. we were greeted by several students when we got there and they ran us through what they were doing. Mr. Hill was right behind and greeted us and filled us in on what all had happened. so far up to date they changed the trans filter and fluid with gasket getting rid of the leak there. the motor has no leaks and the engine was fired and ran well. the carb was leaking and needs to be rebuilt. the wiring is going well. all the lights and turn signals were working, then the headlights quit, so they were searching for a short, but will be back up soon. the brakes were all bled. napa supplied a new master cylinder and a few other parts for the job. one of the students has the electric window stuff installed, and one window in. he also has the wiring done for the door poppers, but the cylinder doesn't have enough umpf to pull those antique mechanisms. so they suggested we get the hook and striker set up. so we will be looking for that. also they were not able to get the wiper motors to work, so we will be searching for replacements for those. all in all, those kids have been doing great work.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

inside work going on. Mr. Hill said they will patch and weld the floor in when the wiring etc.. is complete. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

a shot from the back.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

the brakes turned out to be a real bear as they struggled to get everything to perform. after many hours they were able to get it all lined out with replacement parts and diligence. next the wiring harness was a true test for the kids. Mr Hill is letting them learn as they reach each obstacle. the door poppers are something that has never been done also by these guys. we are thrilled at the progress going on at the school. the guys we talked to were very proud of their work on the jobs that they have been completing. it was a good visit with the class. we also told the kids and mr, Hill that we would like to do a fish fry for them all with cat fish, crappie and blue gill and all the fixin's. we also want to do a small car show with this car, plus any other cars that either the kids have etc.. they seemed to be pretty excited about that. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

Very cool.  I went out there 1st hour but you guys weren't there yet.  I had to give a test second hour and got tied up.  Sorry I missed you all.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nvrbdn

sorry we missed you Allen. I want one of your shirts that I heard about. Save me a 2x
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok guys we have the next problem. it seems that the transmission is not working. Mr. Hill emailed Steve saying it is not moving at all. The motor and trans came from a 69 dodge charger. 318 motor. he said he believes that the previous owner said it was a 727, but I was thinking it would be a 904. so for you guys that would know for sure, or if Allen can get down to the shop and see what is in the car. The next thing is to either find someone that can check out the trans/torque convertor, or find a trans that we can pick up to get it in this car.

any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions would help greatly. :cheers:

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Troy

Everyone will tell you that the stock trans for a 69 Charger with a 318 would have been a 904. However, my 68 that I bought in 1987 had a 318/727 (I know because the 70 Challenger that I had at the same time was a 318/904 and the trans pans were different when I went to buy parts). Although, who knows if it was original? There should be a ton of 904 transmissions available for cheap - but most probably get tossed in the junk pile. I had a nice one for years and eventually sold it for about $25.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

nvrbdn

Thanks, that's what I was feeling. then again, who knows what exactly was put in. the guy had told steve that it was rebuilt, but it also was setting for several years. so I guess I will be on the hunt for a small block transmission. now the question would be, are the lengths of the 904 and the 727 the same so there will be no worries for the drive shaft?
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Troy

No they are not. Take a look at the pan and verify what is there first. A small block 727 will be harder to find and more expensive than the 904 - but maybe that's ok if you didn't have to find a drive shaft if you switch. I got my stuff out of a 67 Satellite that a guy was parting out. Could have had the engine, trans, and driveshaft for under $200 (and probably the rear end if I was thinking of it). I have a "fresh" later model small block 727 with the lockup converter and paid a little over $500 for it.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

41husk

Got the transmission pulled and it is in the back of my truck
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

skip68

You guys are doing a great thing ×10
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

nvrbdn

Allen is getting the transmission to a rebuilder that he deals with.  :2thumbs:

I should have him build one of my big block Trans's. :scratchchin:

The kids and teachers at the school are doing great work.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

The 727 was dropped off this morning should be done Tuesday.
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nvrbdn

Transmission is done. Allen is picking it up. progress keeps moving forward. The high school is having a car show in May and we are hopeful that Steve's car will be able to be in that show. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Sublime/Sixpack

Nice story! Hope you can get the car done in time for the Car show. :2thumbs:
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

Mopar Nut

Quote from: nvrbdn on April 03, 2015, 07:49:22 AM
The high school is having a car show in May and we are hopeful that Steve's car will be able to be in that show. :2thumbs:
That would awesome!   :2thumbs:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

41husk

got the transmission to school today.  School was closed last week for spring break.  They should have it back in this week :2thumbs:
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nvrbdn

sounds awesome. I will be getting with Steve on Friday morning to go through some parts and stuff he has, and to look at some carpet that is in the garage. we will see if it will do for the time being.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

Steve and I made it to the school today. we had a nice visit with mr hill and the students. there is a charging problem. I traced a couple wires, and am getting my diagram out right now to check that out. we discussed the problem with the windows not wanting to travel up and down, and a couple other things. I am going to the school and work on the car next Thursday if anyone wants to join. I will be attaching the floor, figuring out a bracket for the gas pedal, and aiding in whatever else they would like me to help with. the radiator is in bad shape and I am checking this one I have in the garage from a 67 mustang. they have done great since the brakes work, the wiring is about completed, the engine and trans all work. basically the car is driveable. we looked at the carpet that he has and we believe we are good there. we got the pictures hagerty wanted. if anyone knows about windows and putting in these electric window frames, we could use help. I looked at it today, and I was thinking it may just need to be shimmed to line up the frame work with the tracks. and then the door popper latches need to be swapped for them to work. other than that, they have come a long way for us and it is almost time to thank them and get the car back to do our part. here are a few pics from today.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House