News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NOSTALGA NASCAR?

Started by 500Jon, November 27, 2014, 06:42:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Aero's...

How about Historic Nascar racing?
Is it already being done?
We have most other forms of historic car-racing.
I used to race in Historic pre 1963 saloons cars.

Maybe a pre 1971 Nascar all-comers could be done.
Original cars welcome(of course), but clones/tributes accepted too.

Is this just too far off the scale???
5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

They should have televised events.  It'd be a reminder to the France family of what was so great about the series.

500Jon

Thanx for the link Greg.

Only one 69 ford and a load of modern looking stuff.(almost cot)
Didn't see any wings or 500's in their line-up?
5J

Aero426

djcarguy

Ghoste

Quote from: JB400 on November 27, 2014, 11:07:26 AM
They should have televised events.  It'd be a reminder to the France family of what was so great about the series.

Whats great to the France family is $.

rainbow4jd

Quote from: 500Jon on November 27, 2014, 06:42:18 AM
Hi Aero's...

How about Historic Nascar racing?
Is it already being done?
We have most other forms of historic car-racing.
I used to race in Historic pre 1963 saloons cars.

Maybe a pre 1971 Nascar all-comers could be done.
Original cars welcome(of course), but clones/tributes accepted too.

Is this just too far off the scale???
5J

There's a couple of things to consider.  

First, those old cars are pretty dangerous so unlike a road course - which has a tendency to be more forgiving if you get the car out of shape - you would have to manage the speeds in some ways.   You simply can't have 200 mph cars out there on the track with 65 year old drivers.

Second, the cost to actually race is pretty darn expensive (I've been associated with Historic Trans-Am racing - see Facebook PoseyPetty Challengers) and its not cheap.  So the number of folks who want to invest in brakes and tires (your two most frequently replaced items) might be small.  I don't know - but it costs us a ton to prep the car to race.

That being said - the solution may be to just do rebodies of the INEX Legends type cars.    You run a spec 5/8s chassis but perhaps you have six bodies available for a driver to choose from....

1) Mopar Classic I - a charger/roadrunner-ish style with a nose and wing
2) Mopar Classic II - the coke bottle Dodge
3) Chevy Classic I - mid-70's Laguna
4) Chevy Classic II - mid-80s Monte Carlo
5) Ford Classic I - 70ish Torino
6) Ford Classic II - early 80's T-Bird

I suspect on the spec chassis that there won't be that much aero issues with the body differentials - but I could be wrong.

For me - I would run the cars on some of the 1/2 mile asphalts that are part of NASCARs Dash series... with maybe a championship at Bristol?

500Jon

Thanx guys for the replies!

All racing is expensive but I know some Folks have got the cars and the money to do it!
I always raced as part of a team, all contributing in different ways.
Some financially, others would be happy to pump tyres and push around the pits.
Every little helps and the end result was three championship wins for us!

As much as we competitors enjoyed ourselves, the Folks who owned and loved their older cars did too.
Mostly amazed at what could be achieved with an everyday historic road-going saloon (sedan) car.

Most Folks I know switched off from Nascar many moons ago, forty very similar cars with expensive advertising logos.
What happened to 'win on a Sunday, drive it on a Monday?

Yes I know its all in the efforts for ultimate safety, more people die in the shower than they do on racetracks now!
Sterile Motorsport is one stop away from Computerised Motorsport, done online by the masses!
No one gets hurt, no fuel gets burnt, no one has to fix the wrecks, no one even has to leave their living room.

How Eco is that LOL!

5J, living in the PAST!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ghoste

One thing with the vintage sports car racing is that there is a long established chain of very wealthy owners and a large group of collectors.  A much smaller group of vintage NASCAR collectors and its a more recent phenomena.

Aero426

The west coast drum brake stock car group has tried to get things going.    They are basically the same group operating the historic Trans-Am group.     Both operate on road courses.    The T/A group will tour at selected tracks.   The stock car group has stuck to the west coast at Sears Point and Laguna Seca. 

There was a historic meet attempted at Darlington in recent years.   There were few real cars and a lot of replicas or modern street stock sportsman type cars.    Those guys have nothing to lose and will run pretty hard all the time.   I don't see any reason to risk my car in that type of situation. 

The #7 Jack McCoy Daytona has been purchased by a vintage racer.   I expect that one will be seen racing out on the west coast soon.

Highbanked Hauler

I had the 500 out at Charlotte for track laps today and even at 80 +mph. the car handled like crap. :'( The only place it was stable was on the bottom near the white line in the turns and down the back stretch. On the front stretch it had a downright horrible float so if you are going to build something plan on putting the work needed to make the car handle or you are screwed. :RantExplode: 
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

500Jon

Hi Highbank,

Thats just wicked, a 500 back out on track!!!
Methinks you need to get that suspension sorted out REAL QUICK lol!!!

I used to drive my 69 R/T Charger off the clock, yep, a rallye clock on the streets lol!
Handled like crap too but the rush was mental.
It reminds me of a story I read about the 'Silver State Run' 68 Charger.
With a few mods it went ballistic!!!
Some 'stock cars' are better than others, my mates 70-GTX was safe at any speed.

Obviously any 'competition car' would be built on a regular chassis design of the day.
Full safety equipment, the whole works.

My street drag Dart would run 180mph in the quarter on pump gas, then you could drive her home.
She had over a 1000hp and the right gears I think the Buddy Baker record would be in my sights LoL!!!

RallyeMike

We will never see this on anything but a small scale and special events. It's just too expensive for the number of participants interested in it.

As far as recreating it with Legends chassis...... that would not be any fun (well, any more fun than typical Legends racing). The whole point to recreating this is the full size cars and V8 sound.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Highbanked Hauler

Not familiar with Legends chassis  ???  I know of  motorcycle motor powered Legends race cars but nothing with a frame that could support a full sized body. :shruggy:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

500Jon

Everything is do-able!

We even got crappy electric cars racing in Europe now!
All you hear with them is 'mechanical noise', its HIDEOUS!!! :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

A real car can be heard ALL THE WAY ROUND a 2-1/2 mile oval track! :2thumbs:

We all know the '#6 Daytona' or Greg's Daytona were period correct Nascars, so that chassis can be copied 'en mass'.
Put any Mopar body on it what you want? :cheers:

I would go for a 1969 Charger 500, it would work on ALL tracks LOL!
Trouble wing Wngers they are specific to certain Longtracks only.

Oh yes and you don't have to run 400 or 500 miles either, 100-200 would be fine.