News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 c500 wreckage video nascar

Started by white, December 13, 2014, 09:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

white

I always wondered what the rear window was made from on c500's in nascar. Found this video showing a c500 getting hit hard in the rear and the rear glass looks like plexi glass? copy and paste link to watch. Wreck is at the 3min mark through 5min mark.                                                                                Thanks for any input.    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHsEU8EDNeM

Aero426

The rear glass panel on those cars was plexiglas.

white

Thank you for the info, I did not know if they had plexi glass yet.

Aero426

Quote from: white on December 13, 2014, 01:03:29 PM

Yes, light weight and it would not shatter like normal glass.  The racing Superbirds had a special plexi back glass too.

Stevearino

If I am not mistaken I think plexiglass was around during WW2 and bombers were outfitted with it.

Ghoste

Quote from: Stevearino on December 13, 2014, 07:42:54 PM
If I am not mistaken I think plexiglass was around during WW2 and bombers were outfitted with it.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about perspex?

white

wingcar

Quote from: Aero426 on December 13, 2014, 03:43:06 PM
Quote from: white on December 13, 2014, 01:03:29 PM

Yes, light weight and it would not shatter like normal glass.  The racing Superbirds had a special plexi back glass too.

Many years ago I purchased the rear window plug out of Bobby Unser's USAC Superbird, and the seller included what was left of the plexi rear window....if I remember correctly it had the same thickness as regular glass...  
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400