News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LEGOS

Started by 66FBCharger, December 04, 2014, 08:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

My six year old LOVES Legos. That is all he wants for Christmas. For some reason Legos cost a lot more than I would think they should cost.
Does anyone know a place that sells Legos for less than the brick and mortar stores?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Drache

You can order direct from the company if I'm not mistaken. Walmart is the cheapest of the box stores if you can't order direct.

Does it have to be name brand lego? There are more than a couple brands that are cheaper and interchangeable with Lego as well such as Kreo, Megabloks, Best Lock, etc.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

JamieZ

If you don't want specific sets or pieces, you can usually pick up bulk amounts of used ones off eBay for decent prices. Just search eBay for "Lego Bulk"

MrSnicks

You can find legos by the lb on ebay for $9 - $13 a lb, mixed lots, grab bags.

Patrick

mrsskip68

Be wary of those off brand blocks. When one of my kids were lil, i bought a set. Huge mistake!!!! Most pieces would not come apart even if you were HE-MAN!! And  they were not compatible with legos.

The lego brand is very expensive for sure. Lots of people sell them on Craigslist and at yard sales. Might have some luck there. If you save enough $$$$ take a trip to LEGO LAND in S. California!!  :2thumbs: Good luck!
Lisa

bakerhillpins

My sons probably have enough legos to build a second house.  :yesnod: :smilielol:  Some sets are a better deal than others it just takes a bit of smart consumerism. We typically look at cost vs block count. This is probably the simplest way to see value. We also look at how many "alternate" things you can build. Some sets that are huge and have lots of options are just slightly more expensive than some really tiny ones.  :shruggy: Some are just so cool it's not relevant like the StarWars Xwing. LOL. But as you will notice there are like 6 different sets so keep track of the set's # when comparing prices.

I suspect some of it's just plain old licensing costs. If you can get into sets that avoid licenses it's usually easier on the budget but it's still a crap shoot. My wife paid as much for a tiny Eiffle Tower set (was like 12" tall) as she did for a big set.

Id be worried about missing pieces and instructions on Ebay sets. 
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Drache

Quote from: mrsskip68 on December 04, 2014, 02:17:07 PM
Be wary of those off brand blocks. When one of my kids were lil, i bought a set. Huge mistake!!!! Most pieces would not come apart even if you were HE-MAN!! And  they were not compatible with legos.

That is true. But Megablocks are 100% compatible and imo better sets than lego in they have a lot better details.  :2thumbs:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Dino

There's a Lego land in CA?  Neber knew that.  I visited the one in Denmark as a kid which was unreal.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

mrsskip68

Quote from: Dino on December 04, 2014, 04:09:54 PM
There's a Lego land in CA?  Neber knew that.  I visited the one in Denmark as a kid which was unreal.

Yep!!!!!
http://california.legoland.com/

Dino

Quote from: mrsskip68 on December 04, 2014, 04:28:25 PM

Yep!!!!!

Sweet!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Dino on December 04, 2014, 04:34:13 PM
Quote from: mrsskip68 on December 04, 2014, 04:28:25 PM

Yep!!!!!

Sweet!   :2thumbs:
My boys preferred Lego Land over Disneyland hands down.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

XH29N0G

It may be too late for Christmas, but worth keeping in mind for the future.  There are often older kids who loved legos and will part with their collections.  If you have friends with older kids it would be worth an ask. We were given a bunch by some friends and my son has given a bunch away.  One year he 'sold' them at the town yard sale 50 cents for a handful, but then he would advise the kids to fill their dad's hand rather than their own.  He made some money and also had some fun in the process. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

dual fours

How's this for using Lego® blocks? Not real good photography but something to see in real life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCUwCE804oQ
Ha Ha 66FBCharger the apple don't fall far from the tree, you like Charger's $$$ and you son likes Lego® $$$. :smilielol:
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

1974dodgecharger

yup, went there earlier this ear with my kids....they loved it, but I hated the drive they fought all the drive there and back.