News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 to 1970 Roll Bar frames

Started by 500Jon, December 10, 2014, 07:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Racecar Folks.

When did the windowless regs come in in Nascar please?
If I was doing a 69 500 Racecar which system would be correct?
This has an obvious effect on Rollbar side frame construction! :scratchchin:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

500Jon

Why has Petty's new BIRD got the FLATTER older design?
Surely this is weaker in the door area?

500Jon

Hmmm?

Found these so I would think this is right for a 1969 Charger 500?

500Jon

Ghoste

I believe the windowless reg came in sometime during the Dodge Daytona running as an effort to slow them down.  Prior to that most of them ran with the side glass in place and the initial running of the wingcars did so as well.  It may have been the following year when the Superbird came online though. :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on December 10, 2014, 09:01:26 AM
I believe the windowless reg came in sometime during the Dodge Daytona running as an effort to slow them down.  Prior to that most of them ran with the side glass in place and the initial running of the wingcars did so as well.  It may have been the following year when the Superbird came online though. :shruggy:

There is no one correct answer.   All cars had crush style bars on the driver side.   The glass mechanism can be made to fit.    For speedway cars,  it was common to have the flat style bars on the passenger side.   When side glass became illegal, it was common to eventually upgrade the passenger side to crush style.      Sometimes this happened in the event of other work, like crash repair.    There are exceptions: my car has crush style bars on the passenger side and I have a photo of it with the glass in place.      

Ghoste

Was there a firm date on side glass?

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on December 11, 2014, 06:29:26 AM
Was there a firm date on side glass?

I think the date was March 15th., 1970, to get rid of side glass, during a race.

You could still qualify with it or use it during "special speed exhibitions". (200.447 run, for example)

A very short time later, it was also banned for qualifying.  I believe there is a Nascar newsletter out there detailing the exact dates.

BTW - the very first restrictor plate race ever was at the Yankee 400 in August, 1970, at MIS...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Highbanked Hauler

The caption under the picture says electric fuel pump and thermos behind the seat,looks like an oil cooler to me or did I miss it ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

teddy1500

There was also rule that required doors to be able to open, that may affect roll cage design, but the rule changed mid/early 70's.

odcics2

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on December 11, 2014, 06:49:16 PM
The caption under the picture says electric fuel pump and thermos behind the seat,looks like an oil cooler to me or did I miss it ?

Should have said, axle cooler and thermos.   There were never any electric fuel pumps back then!!

odcics2

Quote from: teddy1500 on December 11, 2014, 07:07:22 PM
There was also rule that required doors to be able to open, that may affect roll cage design, but the rule changed mid/early 70's.

Doors were required to be bolted closed with straps since the mid 60s, per the Nascar rule book..  :Twocents: