News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mecum superbird

Started by boss429kiwi, November 15, 2014, 11:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boss429kiwi

Hi

I thought the Superbird sales performance at Mecum this weekend was disappointing.
Both 6 pack, 4 speeds in Tor Red, one $125k sale and one $120k no sale.
I thought both would be $150k plus.

Goes to show, just because a couple of HEMI Superbirds sell for $500k plus, does not mean the lesser will follow suit.

Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

69_500

They do follow suit, but in my opinion it takes them a little while to follow the upward trends.

FJ5WING

I venture to ask about numbers and quality of the restorations? a catalog resto? or an OE level job?
wingless now, but still around.

odcics2

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 16, 2014, 11:35:24 AM
I venture to ask about numbers and quality of the restorations? a catalog resto? or an OE level job?

Anyone can open up a wallet and get it all from catalogs.
The one that goes the extra miles for all OEM parts will have a more valuable car.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69_500

You go the extra mile and do an OE restoration and you are sure to be losing money when you sell the car. Just my opinion but to get to an OE on a bird or daytona your looking at 250k plus in parts depending on what all you have to replace or refinish or replate.

held1823

not to mention making it pretty much doomed to trailer queen status. oem is nice, but a losing proposition for the bank account

i cant afford either route on the daytona at the present time, so my two cents is only worth a penny here.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

rainbow4jd

It always starts with the car and what you have in it.   I'm doing a concours OE level restoration as best I can do but I bought the car right in 1983.   So while my car is a 440 it benefits from its configuration and eye appeal.  Sadly it will be a trailer queen

Moparpoolman

It must suck to bring a rare car to an auction and then find out there is an identical one there at the same auction :brickwall:.  That must lower the price some vs. if there was only one of them there.

Ghoste

It depends to a degree on how they are marketed and lotted.  Sometimes it can bring both up if enough people are bidding  and they know they are only getting these last two chances to get said rarity.

wingcarenvy

I saw both cars in person. The one that sold was nice bud had really bad quarter replacements, lots of rock chips, and rusty rockers (bad). The 120K no sale was actually nicer but had its share of problems. The flipper had put it in the auction late and got a bad spot (I should know I was right before him). Both cars were driver quality cars at best.