News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

**Dad's 73Charger Resto (Body)** Windshield help!

Started by DREDILSKI, December 28, 2014, 09:53:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DREDILSKI

I have been cruising this forum and the web to find the best ways to strip the body and remove most if not all of the rust on the car. I finally have the facilities to get started and I have begun the removal of anything getting in the way of me cleaning up the underside. Looks like Media/Soda/Sand Blasting would be the best or most efficient way to strip the car to bare metal and remove the rust. I'll be doing most of the striping work with a wire wheel and a sander since I don't have the funds at the moment to have it blasted. I have been pricing MIG welders and plan on pulling the trigger next month or so. I will be learning through trail-n-error as I strip, repair/replace the metal on the car. That being said, any helpful information would be greatly appreciated. So I'll be using this post to track progress on the bodywork and to get help from the wealth of knowledge that's in this forum.  

Thanks,
Dre

--Test area with wire brush

--Old patch attempt gone wrong

Quarters and Trunk Floor from the bottom

DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

72Charger-SE

Looks like a solid project.   Don't be afraid to cut into the sheet metal and get to the 'bad areas' underneath.  I found a lot of 'hidden' damage under the 'good sheet metal'.  I then repaired them starting with the bottom layer.  I would recommend taking it one area at a time...  someone once asked me... How do you eat an elephant?  One small chunk at a time...   :2thumbs:   Unlike some people on here who restore a car in amazing fashion in three months (Charger-Bodie) a project like yours (and mine) are five to ten year projects.   Remember it is a marathon not a sprint...

Welcome Aboard & GOD Bless!

JB400

DREDILSKI

So the weather is up and down but I can't wait, I have to get some progress done on the bodywork. So far I have a angle grinder, sander/polisher, corded drill, your basic tool set (sockets, wrenches, etc) and wire brushes/sand paper. What I would like to know is what "bodywork" tools would you guys suggest I purchase to ease to process of removing rust, cutting and replacing sheet metal, and working the body back to a decent looking condition. I will purchase a welder soon to replace any section of metal that needs it but just wanted to know what tools you guys would reccommend for working the body back into shape. No bondo-ing yet but I do have some POR-15, Metal prep and epoxy primer for treating the bare metal when I get there. Also, any recommendations or "do's/dont's" would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Dre
:cheers:
DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

DREDILSKI

So as the weather warms up, more production on the metal clean up is happening. Almost ready to take the front suspension off and really get busy.

Whats the best way to "DIY" remove the windshield? Figured I'd ask before hacking at it with a box cutter.

More progress pics to come.

1973 Windshield

Messing around with the engine bay, figured I'd start the clean up there first.

One of many "BEFORE" pics
DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

1973rallye

I picked up a windshield removal tool at Princess Auto. Consists of a strand of wire between two handles. They are positioned on either side of the windshield. Slowly work the wire along slicing the sealant. Be sure to remove all the trim clips prior or you may end up chipping or cracking your windshield.
1973 Rallye 440 4 speed
2016 Challenger r/t Shaker

DREDILSKI

Cool, I'll see if I can find that kit.

I did chip the windshield once taking out the trim. I also noticed a crack too that has probably been there for a long while. Haven't decided if I'm replacing it yet.

Thanks  :cheers:
DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

DREDILSKI

Any suggestions on how this would be fixed? First thought was to possibly stick weld in some metal and grind it down until smooth.

DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

ACUDANUT

DREDILSKI

ACUDANUT, I grew up in this exact car. I am interested in building another Mopar Muscle car in the future, just want to get this one on the road first. I have been surfing Ebay and craigslist trying to find a decent car that's road ready but haven't had much luck. I told my Dad that I'll have the car driving before he retires and I plan to let him keep it in the winter time so it won't be subjected to these MD winters. I have very fond memories of this car and can't wait to have kids so they can experience the same.   :2thumbs: 
DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

ACUDANUT

DREDILSKI

DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE