News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New fuel tank question and sending unit question on an 86 Plymouth

Started by WH23G3G, January 02, 2015, 08:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

So I got this 86 Reliant Station Wagon last month. It has a 2.2 that hadn't been started in over 10 years. It has only 48.000 miles and even has the original Mopar belts on it. The motor is not seized. I turned it by hand and changed out the oil and filter, sprayed some carb cleaner into the throttle body and hit the key and it fired right up until the cleaner dried out. I yanked the tank and it was like rusty sand. The sending unit and fuel pump assembly were totally dissolved. So the original fuel tank has a separate fuel pump assembly, fuel sending unit, a rollover valve, and an internal plastic baffle with a hose connection that connects to the sending unit. I was told this is to keep the gauge steady going around a curve. I bought a new fuel tank, fuel pump assembly, and going to get a new fuel tank sending unit. I got the tank today and checked before I ordered it that it a baffle pan inside the tank. I looked at it and it does indeed have a metal baffle in it but no connection inside for a hose to hook up to. Will it still function properly without that hose connection to the sending unit? The replacement sending unit is Spectra FG64A. It's got a traditional float. Only difference is the tank doesn't have an internal connection for a hose. Literally on the original sending unit it had a 5/16 rubber hose on the bottom of the sending unit connected to that baffle. Just wondering if it will still work without it? Should I go ahead and install it?

A383Wing

I would have to see some pics..I got an 88 Shadow and had an 88 Reliant....I'm a little confuzed by what yer asking for

WH23G3G

Basically I need to know will everything on the sending unit work correct without the internal fuel tank baffle hose connection. It is a rubber hose connected to the sending unit pipe that connects to a plastic baffle pan inside the tank. This new tank has an internal metal baffle pan but no hose connection. I'll try and get a photo of the original setup this weekend.

A383Wing

Pete in NH

Hi,

I too am confused by what you're asking and pictures will help greatly.  The 86 Reliant has three separate fuel tank modules. One is the fuel pump holder/module and the second is the fuel gauge sender unit. The third is a rollover/ vapor separator valve assembly mounted in a grommet.

The 5/16" fuel line comes out of the pump module and the 1/4" fuel return line goes to the sending unit module. A 3/16" vapor return line goes to vapor separator module.

WH23G3G

Ok here is a picture of the original fuel tank from my 86 Reliant. You can see the internal plastic baffle pan with a hose connection. It went from that connection to the fuel tank sending unit. My new fuel tank has a metal baffle pan but no hose connection. So if I install my new pump, new sending unit, and just let the hose inside the tank just rest wherever will the car still run right without any problems?

Pete in NH

I suspect since it involves the line on the sending unit which is a fuel return line, you can just let the hose run into the tank. It looks like the original system returned the fuel through the baffle system to keep it quiet. I guess the engineers were concerned the rear seat passengers might hear some noise as the fuel shot back into the tank from the return.

A383Wing

thinking the reason for hose to baffle is to stop air bubbles from entering fuel pump if fuel was returned to splash in the tank from return line at top of tank. This way fuel pump would not pick up air bubbles and cause hesitation