News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting steel coronet fenders to fit the superbird valance....

Started by Hemi Runner, January 24, 2015, 11:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemi Runner

Has anyone done this at home? How easy is this? Any online info about it? Should I wait until I have the valance in hand? I have access to Scott's bird if I need a template.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: DonC1 on January 24, 2015, 03:27:05 PM
Easy.

Yes, for you I would imagine so.  My skill level is somewhat less, however.  :lol:

It looks to follow the body line at that bend.

Hemi Runner

How difficult would it be to make a lower valance that goes from the nose, back to the center tube of the K-member as shown in that picture?

DonC1

You mean over the core support then back? If so I'd get some flat cardboard stock (comes in 4x8 sheets etc) and make it fit in cardboard then take it to a sheetmetal shop and have them bend and weld it up in 18 gauge steel...ie not to heavy but not to light.

oldcarnut

What I plan on doing is bending a piece of 3/4" angle into the same contour as my lower pieces and bend the fender to the 3/4" angle as my template so that it matched what I have.

Hemi Runner

Quote from: oldcarnut on January 25, 2015, 02:22:54 PM
What I plan on doing is bending a piece of 3/4" angle into the same contour as my lower pieces and bend the fender to the 3/4" angle as my template so that it matched what I have.
That's a great idea. I will most likely be making my own valance, so I will probably modify the fenders first, and then use your technique to make sure the valance fits the fender. If you look at the original wing car parts in the pic that I posted, most fit like crap anyway. Hopefully, my work turns out better than Creative's! :lol:

oldcarnut

70Sbird

Looking Awesome Mike!
great progress since I saw it the last time
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

Hemi Runner

Thanks Scott. I'm going to have to come back over and get some dimensions off the front support channels. I need to make a temporary channel set to support the nose while I bend all the chromoly tubing that will actually support it.

oldcarnut

Got one of mine done today.  Just a little tweeking left but pretty close. Fenders itself is going to need some dent work repair.