News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi engine builder

Started by Q5XX29, February 16, 2015, 06:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Q5XX29

I recently bought a very nice '67 GTX, which currently has a nicely-built 440 (non-original), and the original 4-speed and Dana rear. It has been mini-tubbed (mixed feelings on that, but very nicely done, and I love the look of the wide rear rubber). My plan is to have an absolute KILLER street hemi built, hopefully in the 750-800+ hp range.

Who would you recommend for the engine build? I spoke with John Arruzza on the phone this weekend, and he seemed very nice and knowledgeable, and maybe he would be a good choice? Anybody here work with him before? A buddy of mine has had nothing but trouble with his Ray Barton 472 Hemi in his '70 Charger, so I figured I would avoid him. I was also looking at Muscle Motors webpage, and saw they have some tantalizing Hemi packages.

Thank you in advance for any insight or opinions you care to share!
dakota_gt on Instagram

Ghoste

Challenger340

Yeah, Tim at FHO is very good, and I am sure you would be very happy with the final product. :2thumbs:

Over 900hp is quite doable on 91 Octane.

This is one I Machined/Built for a Customer, and it has 2 seasons on it now(Street & Strip), very strong !
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,96184.0.html

Sorry, not profitable for me to build anymore of them, as far easier stuff to do that's less time consuming and pays better.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Ghoste

And to clear, I wasn't suggesting someone outside of our circle because of a lack of faith in the professionals here.  I have noted in the past that the regular builders here mainly want to stay clear of Hemi's unless properly paid for them.

heyoldguy

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 18, 2015, 09:27:45 PM
Yeah, Tim at FHO is very good, and I am sure you would be very happy with the final product. :2thumbs:

Over 900hp is quite doable on 91 Octane.

This is one I Machined/Built for a Customer, and it has 2 seasons on it now(Street & Strip), very strong !
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,96184.0.html

Sorry, not profitable for me to build anymore of them, as far easier stuff to do that's less time consuming and pays better.

Dear me, how true. We're doing a pump gas 572 Hemi right now. Never had anything more expensive, time consuming and stressful than the hemis.

myk

What makes the Hemi that much more of a headache?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Valve train geometry and stability would be one is my guess.  I'm speaking out of turn here of course, but would it be fair to say that customer expectations have a huge role here as well?  (It's a Hemi so it should make 1000 hp at the rear wheels with ease?)

heyoldguy

For me it has been getting all the parts to fit together properly. Simple things like why are the pushrods rubbing the block between the head and lifters. You ever just tried to measure the deck height on a hemi piston and have it match what the piston maker says it's supposed to be? I've never built a stock factory iron 426, just aluminum 528 and bigger. Maybe the factory stuff fits better, I don't know.

Challenger340

Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 16, 2015, 06:02:24 PM
I recently bought a very nice '67 GTX, which currently has a nicely-built 440 (non-original), and the original 4-speed and Dana rear. It has been mini-tubbed (mixed feelings on that, but very nicely done, and I love the look of the wide rear rubber). My plan is to have an absolute KILLER street hemi built, hopefully in the 750-800+ hp range.

Who would you recommend for the engine build? I spoke with John Arruzza on the phone this weekend, and he seemed very nice and knowledgeable, and maybe he would be a good choice? Anybody here work with him before? A buddy of mine has had nothing but trouble with his Ray Barton 472 Hemi in his '70 Charger, so I figured I would avoid him. I was also looking at Muscle Motors webpage, and saw they have some tantalizing Hemi packages.

Thank you in advance for any insight or opinions you care to share!

Call Jim ( HeyOldGuy) on here as well !

Challenger340

Quote from: myk on February 19, 2015, 11:30:15 AM
What makes the Hemi that much more of a headache?

EVERYTHING !
Don't get me wrong.... NEAT Engines.... I would Own/Build one for myself, but they can very time consuming these days with aftermarket parts, nothing fits anything, and getting it the way you want it.... especially so you are "happy" if it's for a Customer ? invariably means "time" you won't get PAID for ?
And even once you figure out what "works"... versus what is horse pittoooey.... unless you are gonna specialize in 'em and build a reputation ? NO MONEY !

I done enough of them over the years, to prove I can make as much power as anybody else can.... and MORE than most
But to be honest....
for the time it took.... I can make more money building a belly-button Rat Motor Bracket Bomber BB Cheb.
Just the way it is.... money is money.

myk

I imagine that the factory Hemi's fit together perfectly, or else they wouldn't have been put into mass-production.  Oh well, if you need that Hemi between your quarters then you need it...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

They weren't exactly mass production though either.  Done in small batches at the marine engine facility but you are right, they likely fit better than assembling a hodgepodge of aftermarket stuff cast all over China.

Q5XX29

Thanks for the discussion and input, guys.

So Jim/Heyoldguy- do you have a website? What is the name of your shop? Sorry if I am the only person here who doesn't know... I am not on here that much.

And as far as Tim and FHO- I had forgotten about FHO. Thanks for the tip; I will check them out.

So, does anybody have any comments about Arruzza?

And for the people here who have built hemis (or have a car with a high-end hemi build), for the right amount of money, high-quality parts, and skill in building these engines, can they be built to be a reliable powerhouse? I am not opposed to adjusting the valves periodically, but I don't want a huge headache. I would rather pay well to have things done right the first time.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Challenger340

Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 20, 2015, 08:31:34 AM

So Jim/Heyoldguy- do you have a website? What is the name of your shop? Sorry if I am the only person here who doesn't know... I am not on here that much.

And as far as Tim and FHO- I had forgotten about FHO. Thanks for the tip; I will check them out.

And for the people here who have built hemis (or have a car with a high-end hemi build), for the right amount of money, high-quality parts, and skill in building these engines, can they be built to be a reliable powerhouse? I am not opposed to adjusting the valves periodically, but I don't want a huge headache. I would rather pay well to have things done right the first time.

Yes, very reliable when Machined, Built and Maintained PROPERLY.
As I said earlier,
the fellow we did the 900+hp Pump gas HEMI for..... now has 2 seasons "Street & Strip" duty, he loves it.

Q5XX29

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 22, 2015, 12:09:19 AM

As I said earlier,
the fellow we did the 900+hp Pump gas HEMI for..... now has 2 seasons "Street & Strip" duty, he loves it.

Ok, great- thank you. And what is the name of your business?  How much would it cost to replicate the engine you just referenced, and how soon could you get it to me, if you are even available right now?

I did talk today to Tim at FHO, and we discussed an 800+ hp 572 hemi, with mopar cross ram intake setup and serpentine pulley system, to run on 91 octane. He hasn't gotten back to me yet with a price, but thought he was about 3 months out.
dakota_gt on Instagram

Challenger340

Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 22, 2015, 02:46:28 AM

As I said earlier,

Ok, great- thank you. And what is the name of your business?  How much would it cost to replicate the engine you just referenced, and how soon could you get it to me, if you are even available right now?

I did talk today to Tim at FHO, and we discussed an 800+ hp 572 hemi, with mopar cross ram intake setup and serpentine pulley system, to run on 91 octane. He hasn't gotten back to me yet with a price, but thought he was about 3 months out.

We could not even begin to build another one until probably very late Summer/Fall 2015 for Jan/Feb 2016 Dyno'íng and Delivery ?
My apologies,
but just NO point pricing parts NOW, for a build 7 months out for us ?... just wasting BOTH our times.

Q5XX29

Quote from: Challenger340 on February 22, 2015, 12:52:18 PM
Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 22, 2015, 02:46:28 AM

As I said earlier,

Ok, great- thank you. And what is the name of your business?  How much would it cost to replicate the engine you just referenced, and how soon could you get it to me, if you are even available right now?

We could not even begin to build another one until probably very late Summer/Fall 2015 for Jan/Feb 2016 Dyno'íng and Delivery ?
My apologies,
but just NO point pricing parts NOW, for a build 7 months out for us ?... just wasting BOTH our times.

Totally understand, and agree. Still, I am curious, which Hemi builder are you?
dakota_gt on Instagram

Q5XX29

Well, deposit just FedEx'd to Tim at FHO. He promises 800+ hp on 91 octane, with my desired cross-ram intake setup. 572 all-alloy with the best of everything. I can't wait!  Many thanks to you all for the suggestions.
dakota_gt on Instagram

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Q5XX29 on February 26, 2015, 02:59:29 AM
Well, deposit just FedEx'd to Tim at FHO. He promises 800+ hp on 91 octane, with my desired cross-ram intake setup. 572 all-alloy with the best of everything. I can't wait!  Many thanks to you all for the suggestions.
Wow that had to be a expensive FedEx, lol....40k plus for sure.

moparnation74

If you care to say what was the overall cist?

Q5XX29

Quote from: moparnation74 on February 28, 2015, 04:12:22 PM
If you care to say what was the overall cist?

Pm sent
dakota_gt on Instagram

2592 creston

Check out Eddie Haines down in Florida    eddie@hemihaines.com