News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aero paint question

Started by Redmanf1, March 17, 2015, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redmanf1

Hi,
What paint manufacture (DuPont, R7M) did Chrysler use and also what type, lacquer, acrylic enamel, enamel?   

Could someone tell me if they used the same type of paint on the nose, fenders and wing as the factory did the body?

Thanks
Nelson

Aero426

Acrylic enamel on the body.  Lacquer on the nose and wing as they were painted off the car.

With regard to the supplier, I don't know who it was.   Why do you ask?    

C500

Quote from: Redmanf1 on March 17, 2015, 05:53:45 PM
Hi,
What paint manufacture (DuPont, R7M) did Chrysler use and also what type, lacquer, acrylic enamel, enamel?   

Could someone tell me if they used the same type of paint on the nose, fenders and wing as the factory did the body?

Thanks
Nelson

Paint was PPG
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on March 17, 2015, 07:38:35 PM
Acrylic enamel on the body.  Lacquer on the nose and wing as they were painted off the car.

With regard to the supplier, I don't know who it was.   Why do you ask?    

I think almost the whole exterior of the car had lacquer on it by the time Creative was done... :lol:

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 19, 2015, 01:06:01 PM

I think almost the whole exterior of the car had lacquer on it by the time Creative was done... :lol:

Daytonas?  Yes. 

winged69

I have a mostly original paint superbird. The nose cone and wing and some of the trunk area are a different shade of paint . The paint by Creative was done around the window plug. The wing and window area is more of a flat or pastel yellow and don't quote me by I think it is acryliic enamel which will air dry , where as laquer  I believe needs a hardener. As the paint aged on my car the wing faded more than the rest of the car. Talk to a paint supplier.

Redmanf1

The acrylic enamel needs a hardener to enhance dry time and a reducer for ease of spraying. The lacquer just uses a thinner and will air dry quickly. With age and sun it is prone to checking or crow's feet with the lacquer.

Thank you for all the info

Nelson

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Aero426 on March 19, 2015, 01:37:41 PM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 19, 2015, 01:06:01 PM

Daytonas?  Yes. 

Yes - I don't know why I automatically assumed Daytona......

Aero426

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 20, 2015, 08:10:18 AM

Yes - I don't know why I automatically assumed Daytona......

You have Daytona on the brain.   :2thumbs:

pettybird

Quote from: winged69 on March 19, 2015, 05:39:13 PM
I have a mostly original paint superbird. The nose cone and wing and some of the trunk area are a different shade of paint . The paint by Creative was done around the window plug. The wing and window area is more of a flat or pastel yellow and don't quote me by I think it is acryliic enamel which will air dry , where as laquer  I believe needs a hardener. As the paint aged on my car the wing faded more than the rest of the car. Talk to a paint supplier.

Odd that your backlight area is faded if it was never touched--the plug was installed and painted at Lynch Rd. prior to Chrysler painting the wing, nose and scoops at Clairpointe.