News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tricks for loosening brake line fittings?

Started by b5blue, February 14, 2015, 07:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Any tricks for getting stuck brake line fittings loose? The lines are not rusty, I'm trying to undo the lines to each front wheel at the hoses so I can do a disk swap.  :scratchchin:
They were soaked in PB Blaster for days, today I wire brushed as good as I could and resprayed. I've new lines for the master to distribution block also and the old ones won't budge along with the one to the rear wheels ether. (To install the proportioning adjuster.) :eek2:  Darn it I'd hoped not to need all new lines!
  Who makes the best Line Wrenches?

fy469rtse

Yes brake line fittings are the worst,
Yes look for the ring wrenches , solid thick ends with a slot to fit over steel line, make sure fit is tight , then the only way is one quick firm action to crack them loose,
If it doesn't work, then lock grips to undo ,
Bad part if you have to do this you will have to cut fitting off and replace it , reflaring the end of brake line , remember double flare,
Get those brake line wring spanners , it makes the chances better of getting them undone

Dmichels

You HAVE to get the flair nut wrench. Do not try this without one.  You can try a little heat. Worst case you need to replace the line.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

JB400

At work, I deal with rusty hoses and fittings all the time.  I was told to take two hammers, and have one up against the fitting, and tap with the other hammer on the opposite side to loosen it up.  Just do it all the way around, (if possible) and it should come loose when you put the wrenches back to it.  I'd also recommend the flaired nut wrench as well.

charger1972

Quote from: JB400 on February 14, 2015, 10:39:19 PM
At work, I deal with rusty hoses and fittings all the time.  I was told to take two hammers, and have one up against the fitting, and tap with the other hammer on the opposite side to loosen it up.  Just do it all the way around, (if possible) and it should come loose when you put the wrenches back to it.  I'd also recommend the flaired nut wrench as well.
I`m gonna have to try that one . I`v all ways heated the fitting red hot then hit it with water . But seen a guy do it to long and the hose blew apart . Loud bang , smoke , definitely gets your attention .

StockMan

Warm erup around the nipple, then hit er with an ice cube, then go to work on er.

Mopar Nut

I wished I would have asked first before screwing mine up.   :brickwall:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Thanks guys! You've got me thinking outside the box now... :scratchchin: I've several makes of line wrenches I'm using. (Not cheap one's ether.) I thought possibly some brand was way better, I'd buy it also. I've got a Harbor Freight Heat gun I can try using. That tiny 3/8th flair nut just has so little mechanical strength.
   I put some water in an old cleaned out Dawn dish soap bottle, in the freezer. I'll let it get really cold and try heating with the gun then shocking with cold water. I may need to get one of the tiny pencil size blow torches also. I can't reach areas to whack with a hammer but may need to if tearing down later.  :eek2:   

Dodgecharger74

I use a pair of vise grips on outside of brake line wrench and a little heat   Works most times
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

fy469rtse

.? How did it go ,
Did you get those lines loose

b5blue

Quote from: fy469rtse on February 21, 2015, 05:27:46 AM
.? How did it go ,
Did you get those lines loose

Due to my "situation" with the car I bought all new lines.  :eek2: I'll only be reusing the brass blocks, hopefully they can be saved.  I'll cut them loose and bench the removal of fittings. The job went from disk swap to complete overhaul, still waiting for my new rear wheel cylinders to start hacking.

six-tee-nine

Buy a special wrench for these.

The best money you'll ever spend.

Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

b5blue

Quote from: six-tee-nine on February 21, 2015, 09:24:48 AM
Buy a special wrench for these.

The best money you'll ever spend.

Where do you get that?

71 SE3834V

Quote from: charger1972 on February 14, 2015, 10:48:33 PM
Quote from: JB400 on February 14, 2015, 10:39:19 PM
I`m gonna have to try that one . I`v all ways heated the fitting red hot then hit it with water . But seen a guy do it to long and the hose blew apart . Loud bang , smoke , definitely gets your attention .

Been there, done that! Brain farts happen.
You need to open the bleeder screw to release the pressure to prevent it from blowing although you still take a chance on melting the hose if you're not quick enough. It usually doesn't need to be red hot to work.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

charger1972

I cut a hose that was being replaced . Proceeded to heat the fitting to get it to brake loose from the steel line , and it still went bang . Even with the hose cut at the crimp .

71 SE3834V

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Possibly the inner layer of the hose had separated and swelled up closing it up??
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

charger1972

I cut it with side-dykes , so could have crimped it shut . Maybe ? Not sure , but it got my attention .

b5blue

FYI last parts needed are almost here. (O rings and springs for brake unbalance indicator switch.) I'll be testing "tricks" on parts removed to experiment and report back, my Jeep is getting old and next for brake work.  :lol: