News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Your windage tray thoughts?

Started by Ghoste, March 04, 2015, 08:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morepower

beneficial to run a windage tray on everything, cruiser, racer, etc.
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

Kern Dog

I don't want to come across as one of those old timers that always defer to factory stuff, but...
Ma Mopar put the windage tray in applications where they expected the owners to hammer on the cars. Automakers do things for a reason. Every single part on a car costs them money to design and develop. If they thought the windage tray was worthless, they would have never added them to their HP engines.

303 Mopar

Quote from: Dino on March 06, 2015, 05:13:20 PM
In that case I may have one already, I never removed the oil pan.   :icon_smile_big:

Dino, no need to remove the pan.  You should be able to see the double gaskets and tray between the block and pan.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

John_Kunkel

Not one of my favorite people but the late Bill Jenkins did a lot of research on oiling systems and he came to the conclusion that the traditional windage tray had pluses and minuses. While the tray does help prevent oil in the sump from being pulled/sloshed into the rotating assembly it also provides a surface close to the rotating assembly for oil slung from the crank to bounce back up into the rotating assembly. The best power gain he got on the dyno with a wet sump was with a 4 foot deep pan...obviously not practical in a moving vehicle.

He found that a windage tray with screens allows oil slung from the rotating assembly to return to the sump without bouncing around in the sump...better than just louvers.

His book is a good read even for non-Chebby folks.

http://www.amazon.com/Chevrolet-Racing-Engine-Jenkins-Schreib/dp/B001DB7JS6 
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Ghoste

Smokey Yunick as well, not beloved by all in outside of GM but a smart guy who wrote a book with a lot of insights.