News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

500 plus horse power small block

Started by Paul G, February 16, 2015, 05:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/engines/sb-killer-krate.html

How realistic is this? 500 horse from a 408 small block is big block power without the big block weight. There must be a trade off.
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.
1973 Charger Rallye, 4 speed, muscle rat. Whatever engine right now?

Mopars Unlimited of Arizona

http://www.moparsaz.com/#

heyoldguy

Seems pretty realistic to me. We just dyno'd our first small block stroker and it made 557 lb-ft and 596 HP on 91 octane. It's ready for more dyno runs when we get the time. Then it goes into the '67 Dodge Dart.

XH29N0G

Quote from: Paul G on February 16, 2015, 05:17:11 PM
http://www.musclemotorsracing.com/engines/sb-killer-krate.html

How realistic is this? 500 horse from a 408 small block is big block power without the big block weight. There must be a trade off.

Probably won't run exactly like a stock small block  :yesnod: but my impression is that this is a reputable business and deliver what they claim.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Paul G

Quote from: heyoldguy on February 16, 2015, 05:27:57 PM
Seems pretty realistic to me. We just dyno'd our first small block stroker and it made 557 lb-ft and 596 HP on 91 octane. It's ready for more dyno runs when we get the time. Then it goes into the '67 Dodge Dart.

How streetable will you expect that engine to be? Enough vacuum for power brakes, overheating issues, really high stahl?

Switching over from small block to big block is a chore, and expensive. Staying with a small block is much easier, reuse everything I already have, all the polished parts and shiney bits, etc.   
1972 Charger Topper Special, 360ci, 46RH OD trans, 8 3/4 sure grip with 3.91 gear, 14.93@92 mph.

heyoldguy

Quote from: Paul G on February 16, 2015, 07:02:23 PM
Quote from: heyoldguy on February 16, 2015, 05:27:57 PM

How streetable will you expect that engine to be? Enough vacuum for power brakes, overheating issues, really high stahl?

Switching over from small block to big block is a chore, and expensive. Staying with a small block is much easier, reuse everything I already have, all the polished parts and shiney bits, etc.    

No over heating and any stall you wish. They can be designed to do anything you want them to do. This one is only making 450 LB-FT of torque @ 3,000 rpm but it still has 457 LB-FT @ 6,700 rpm. Camshaft re-adjustment, a dual plane and you'll have all the vacuum you want. I didn't write it down, but if I remember correctly this one only has 8" vacuum @ 800 rpm.

Paul G

Thanks. I talked with Muscle Motors about a big block build, never spoke about a small block.

Cooter

With all the aluminum parts for big blocks these days, it's only a few lbs(50 maybe) where it used to be like 150 lbs.

But, I can see where swapping over can be daunting for some.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

smallblock car..... running 150 mph.... daily driver-no, but it shows if you do it right, they can hang with the big blocks.

heyoldguy

Quote from: Paul G on February 16, 2015, 07:30:38 PM
Thanks. I talked with Muscle Motors about a big block build, never spoke about a small block.

When you to talk to Muscle Motors get a good idea what a "complete engines start @ $9.499" means. The one we sent out with a 4.125 forged crank, roller cam, carb to oil pan and dyno tested (well we're not finished testing yet @ 30 dyno pulls) was $14,000.

While on the dyno I'm still responsible for the engine. Built an engine and the owner wanted his engine off the dyno after 3 pulls. He was afraid it was going to blow up. AFTER THREE PULLS?

I told him if I couldn't deliver his engine in perfect shape after 100 pulls he was being cheated. He let me do five more pulls and we had everything where we wanted it. It was all he could stand, I think he was going to faint.

el dub

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Challenger340

Yep, 600hp is easy-peazee with the mouse strokers these days, 91 Octane and a "street" type Roller Cam on good Heads.

Agreed on getting an actual "out the door, done and DYNO'd quote"..... much different sometimes than many "lost leader" type advertisements.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Mike DC

QuoteWith all the aluminum parts for big blocks these days, it's only a few lbs(50 maybe) where it used to be like 150 lbs.

Yeah but you can just as easily take that 100 pounds off a SB too.  

IMO it's back to the same situation for both engine families.  Both are overweight for a sporty car in the big picture.  Both can be (cheaply & practically) stroked about 1 liter larger.  Both can lose 100 pounds with common aftermarket mods, many of which you would do anyway just making it fast.  Both can lose another 100 pounds & gain a few more cubes if you buy a $5000 alloy block.  

Swapping issues aside, the choice between them boils down to this:  Do you wanna carry another 100 pounds for another 100 cubic inches?  

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 22, 2015, 05:28:40 AM
QuoteWith all the aluminum parts for big blocks these days, it's only a few lbs(50 maybe) where it used to be like 150 lbs.

Yeah but you can just as easily take that 100 pounds off a SB too.  

Swapping issues aside, the choice between them boils down to this:  Do you wanna carry another 100 pounds for another 100 cubic inches?  

Yes. As that 650 HP small block won't live nearly as long as the bigger engine at a much lazier 650 HP.
but, then again, I'm more about making big power reliably.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"