News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 motor won't run for more than 10-20 seconds

Started by Harlow, September 19, 2009, 11:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harlow

I'm trying to get this 440 started. Its been rebuilt and broken in and then it sat in a garage for a few years. It doesn't seem to want to run for longer than 10-20 seconds. Its got a brand new Holley 950 on it that is supposedly flow tested and tuned up so its ready to be bolted on. I figure these factory settings should be close enough to at least keep the motor running. The motor only seems to want to start after I give it 2 stomps of the gas pedal, then it will run for 10-20 and then stumble out and die. I have a clear inline fuel filter before the carb and I can see that its getting fuel. Whats do you think the deal is?

The carb doesn't have a choke but its pretty hot in AZ. Still in the 100*'s out here so its not like the motor is completely cold.

Rolling_Thunder

choke....      is it mechanical or electric ?  if it is an electric unit and not hooked up it will not idle for crap...        :shruggy:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Harlow

Tilar

Sounds like a fuel issue. Take the fuel line off the carb, run a hose from the fuel line into something like a clear coke or water bottle and have someone else turn the engine over for say 5 seconds. The bottle should fill up pretty fast. If it does, you might have a carb problem, If not then it might be the fuel pump or a small hole in the fuel line sucking air. Even though the clear filter has fuel, the volume may not be enough.

The reason I bolded the "someone else" is because I've heard of people doing something like this only to have the fuel line come out of the bottle and spray gas all over a hot engine or all over a spark plug wire.... Not a good combination.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Charger-Bodie

It also could have a stuck float.....A couple light taps on the front float bowl will sometimes do the trick,but not always.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

greenpigs

I second checking to see how much gas you are getting.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

Harlow

I should also mention that I'm running a Holley blue fuel pump and a fuel cell.

BigBlackDodge

Does it have a good spark when it's trying to start?

BBD

Harlow

Quote from: BigBlackDodge on September 20, 2009, 09:21:47 PM
Does it have a good spark when it's trying to start?

BBD

I'm running MSD ignition. I checked with a timing light to see if I was getting consistent spark and everything looked good. Whether the spark is hot enough I'm not sure. How can I check that?

maxwellwedge

Almost sounds like something electrical is heating up and cutting power to the coil. Try putting a volt meter on the coil and see if the volts are steady when you experience the cut-out. A fuel pressure guage is a good idea as well.