News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can someone post a pic of

Started by comet_666, March 09, 2015, 01:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

The back of the bezel above the glovebox (69) and what attaches bezel to dash frame please?
I will forever be greatful   :icon_smile_big:

Hard Charger

I have a 68 but should be similar on the back.

there is nothing to speak of on the back. screws from the face hold it to the dash.

comet_666

Mine does not have holes on the face of it

Hard Charger

I just looked
4 screw from behind, not faced screwed.

jaak

I tried to google a pic, couldn't find one of the back side.
The bezel should have 4 (IIRC) studs (molded in the plastic) and attaches to the dash frame with thread cutting (speed) nuts.

Jason

oldcarnut

Quote from: jaak on March 09, 2015, 04:06:43 PM
I tried to google a pic, couldn't find one of the back side.
The bezel should have 4 (IIRC) studs (molded in the plastic) and attaches to the dash frame with thread cutting (speed) nuts.

Jason

Here's the back of a new one I have that hasn't been attached before but I think there has been two of the studs twisted off making 6 total

comet_666

Ahhh the speed nuts! Do you have a pic or size? Are they like the ones on the back of the upper dash pad?

Charger-Bodie

Same nuts as the defroster vents.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

comet_666

I actually tried those speed nuts last night because I happen to have the vents sitting right there and they don't fit... Not sure if its because the speed nuts on my vents are beat up or what.

comet_666

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: comet_666 on March 12, 2015, 07:58:17 AM
I think it might be these from http://www.rtspecialties.net

I just looked at my 69 Dash last night and the speed nuts that hold the panel above the glove box door and the def. vents are all the same.

Do your vents have the right nuts? are the posts made too small on the new part? I have repro panels too and they fit perfect.

My dash is out of the car ,so it was really easy to see that they were the same.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

Charger-Bodie

There is one other way that i used to fasten these before they started making new ones. If a stud is broken off there is usuall enuf to run a shot screw into the hole in the middle. Use a nut or washers as a spacer so it holds tight and your all set. just need to be careful not to use a screw that's too long.

comet_666

The Pal nuts on my defroster vents are a bit deformed and no longer have a completely round hole or the new studs are a little bigger.

comet_666

So I did a little more research and called R/T specialties. He told me that these 3/16 ones are the correct ones.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1003404

Now I measured the studs on the new bezel and they measure 1/4 inch...

comet_666

I asked CI about how these mount on, he said the studs measure 1/4 inch and they recommend using screws and washers to get them installed...   :brickwall:

Charger-Bodie

It would make sense for the studs to be 1/4 and the nuts to be3/16 . They need to cut in threads as you screw them on.

comet_666

I agree, just got off the phone with them again and they said it "could" break the studs if you use those. They are going to call the manufacturer and let me know.

Charger-Bodie

You would need to be careful. But remember I just did this same thing two months ago when I redid my dash using new plates. Mine were from pg classics, but I assume they all are. Classic is most likely selling the ones from pg.

VegasCharger

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 14, 2015, 04:55:24 PM
You would need to be careful. But remember I just did this same thing two months ago when I redid my dash using new plates. Mine were from pg classics, but I assume they all are. Classic is most likely selling the ones from pg.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I got my bezels new from Classic Industries. The nut attachment towers are smooth the begin with. The 7/16 hex head nuts (the ones that were in my car originally with the original bezel) will cut in the new thread on first run. My advice would be to make a dry run and screw these on ever so carefully with tons of patience or you'll hear "Snap". Place your bezel somewhere on a soft landing but a firm surface where you can be directly on top of it. Take a nut driver/nut and square up to the nut tower and slowly cut the threads in. I've attached pics to show you how mine turned out. I made it through all 4 towers without breaking any, whew! There is a total of 6 towers but two of them are guide pegs (I think).

Pic 1. shows the smoothness of the tower before threads are cut in.
Pic 2. shows the OEM 7/16" hex head nut.
Pic 3. shows the nut started on one of the towers.
Pic 4. shows the tower with nut removed and threads cut in.

It's times like these that I'm glad I took pics for reference to myself and others on here to share.
Hope this helps :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

comet_666

Exellent! thanks for the pics and walk through! Now to order some pal nuts

comet_666

CI called back again and this time they suggested velcro....

I am not joking :down:

Nice enough people but no one , even the people who make it have probably never seen a Charger dash in real life.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: comet_666 on March 25, 2015, 07:05:40 PM
CI called back again and this time they suggested velcro....
:lol:  They could of suggested two sided tape.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

comet_666

lol
Next time they call back they might.

VegasCharger

Quote from: comet_666 on March 23, 2015, 08:54:40 AM
Exellent! thanks for the pics and walk through! Now to order some pal nuts

No problem :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

BTW I sent you a PM.

comet_666

With your help and pal nuts VegasCharger I was able to thread these on!!

Charger-Bodie

Wow. Glad I responded to your thread.......

comet_666

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 18, 2015, 05:36:47 PM
Wow. Glad I responded to your thread.......
You know your knowledge is always appreciated Charger-Bodie and I thank you!
Seriously, without the help of you and everyone here all the time I would have resorted to velcro!