News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPDATED Building a bi fold ramp gate is done.

Started by skip68, April 10, 2015, 01:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve P.

If you had 4K on that trailer, you were well over the limits of that axle.. Some of that weight is on your truck though the hitch, but,,,,, Unless your frame is well overbuilt you are putting more stress on the trailer also.. You have to keep in mind that every part of the trailer adds weight. Going over the weight limit of the axle means you are also going over the limit of the springs and tongue and everything else if this trailer were built for #3500.... If you were to have a wreck and your trailers total weight was over 3500 pounds, you would be held at fault.. Even if the cause was not you.. It's like having booze in you when you have a wreck. It's automatically your fault..

If you are going to put that type load on a trailer, you need to find one with a much higher load limit.

Most times we can lift something so we don't think about how heavy ALL the things were we put on the trailer.. If I planned on hauling cords of fire wood of cleaning out houses, I would at minimum be looking for a 10 - 12K trailer with 2 axles and brakes on at least one axle...

What did your trailer start life out as?? If I remember correctly I thought I saw a ~V~ in the back cross frame. That looks like a boat trailer to me..
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

skip68

I know Steve.  This trailer started out as a boat trailer but I cut the back off and made it flat.   I try to estimate my loads to around the 2,000 lbs range when traveling.  I have had just shy of 2 cords of fresh cut green oak on this trailer believe it or not.   Way overloaded.    :lol:  
The old tires looked half flat.  I think Lisa has a picture.  My guess was it had approximately 8,000-9,000 lbs in it.  I was only doing this from the bottom part of the ranch up to my makeshift wood yard on the ranch.  I only did it once with that much in it but it did tweak my frame a little.   I had made measure marks for 1 cord in it and that was my limit usually.  1 cord of green (fresh cut white oak) is around 5,000-5,500 lbs I believe.    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!